Most beautiful thing you have ever heard

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a Karajan recording of Brahms 1 where the trombone chorale in the last movement literally sends shivers down the back of my spine - got to be a contender. Also Pavarotti (no-one else) singing Nessun Dorma from Turandot. Finally, of course, the sound of splintering violas ...
ttf_Hank Lambert

Post by ttf_Hank Lambert »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by trombeanbloke:

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by HANK LAMBERT:
Carl Fontana- Stardust- Bobby Knight GATC
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hey Hank,
this is not on my LP of GATC is it an extra bonus track on the Cd re-release or what??????
Bean.......    Image  
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Bloke, Send me an email or private message. I've heard Stardust played by 2486 people, but, I think this is what Carmichael had in mind when he wrote it.

[ June 11, 2003, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Graham Martin ]
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi Hank,
i just found the Cd version of GATC a couple of days ago. WOW it was worth getting just for the 2 extra tracks!!!!!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Bean.......  Image
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Bean,

I second your nomination for the adagio (I think) from Mahler's 5th.  The movie "Death in Venice" makes great use of this movement as an expression of lost innocence and longing.

I would also add "Death of Juliet" from Prokofiev's R&J, as accurate an expression of grief as you're likely to find in music.

On the jazz side, "When your Lover goes Away" with Jack Teagarden and Bobby Hackett, from around 1944 or so.  Every time I hear it, I think about all the great music still to be played!
ttf_Hank Lambert

Post by ttf_Hank Lambert »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by trombeanbloke:
Hi Hank,
i just found the Cd version of GATC a couple of days ago. WOW it was worth getting just for the 2 extra tracks!!!!!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Bean.......   Image  
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Absolute vintage Fontana!! Everytime I hear it, I get chill-bumps.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image    Image    Image    Image  
Possibly the greatest live trombone ensemble recording EVER!!!!!!!
Hey but check the solo honors on the back of the Cd  2nd track........Who is ROLOLINO.........  Image    Image  
All the best,
Bean.......  Image
ttf_Jeffo

Post by ttf_Jeffo »

Adagio from Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 ("Organ")
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Matthews Passion by I.S.Bach
Aria "Buss und Reu";
Bruckner's "Te Deum".
ttf_evan51

Post by ttf_evan51 »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Jeff Oien:
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi Jeff:
There is a trombone quartet version of this that is beautiful. We played it at a memorial service last week. I still get a little choked up when I hear it.

Another great piece is "Daybreak" beginning the second part of Ravel's  Daphnis and Chloe Suite. A beautiful sweeping piece that will knock your socks off.

Best,
Evan
ttf_evan51

Post by ttf_evan51 »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by legendary27:
and the middle movement of 'Year of the Dragon' by Phillip Sparke.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Agreed. We played that last year. I think the average age of our group (Sierra Nevada Winds) is about 55----several people had moist eyes after- that one. That guy is a genius......

Best,
Evan
ttf_Jeffo

Post by ttf_Jeffo »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by evan51:

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Jeff Oien:
[/font]
There is a trombone quartet version of this that is beautiful. We played it at a memorial service last week. I still get a little choked up when I hear it.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi,
I bet that would sound fantastic. Nice to know that's out there.
ttf_alby_t-bone

Post by ttf_alby_t-bone »

"On the Trails" by Eastern Standard Time

"It don't mean a thing" by Wycliffe Gordon

"Day in, Day out" by Bill Watrous

"Jammin'" by Bob Marley

"Time after time" by Chet Baker

"Looking up" by Michel Petrucciani (solo piano version)

"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck Quartet (on Time Out)

"Lo Specchio" by Kina

but the super number one is.....

"Line for Lyons" by Mulligan/Baker pianoless quartet

Ciao ragazzi
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

wow...what a great topic! ive got some new stuff to listen to now! But my choices in no particular order...

Trombone choral from Schumann's Rhenish
Beginning of Fountains of Rome (i saw someone else mention that...good choice!)
Alessi's Debussy Recordings with harp were just stellar! i love those pieces!
Wachet Auf is really gorgeous, especially with a brass quintet...
3rd mvmt of Beethoven's 9th is touching.
Adagio for strings by Barber...the only string piece i can think of where i am glad there are such instruments
ttf_Dan H.

Post by ttf_Dan H. »

The highest section in Ferdinand David's Concerto For Trombone, played by Christian Lindberg. He "sings" up from a high g to a high Bb to a high Eb and so on...but anyway, that is the purest sound there is to me. Such a beautiful, mellow tone, and the vibrato is done just right. I don't think a sound like that can be matched. Also, Tommy Dorsey ranks up there to me, especially his melody in the famous recording of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You."
ttf_Deborah_Clise

Post by ttf_Deborah_Clise »

Wagner's Prelude to Act I of "Lohengrin"
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The last part of Brahms Academic Festive Overture comes to mind.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

MMMmmmm so much to say here...

Solo trombone stuff: Trudel's Leopold Mozart's Trombone Concerto played on alto trombone and Lindberg's version of Schumann Fantasie-Stücke op.73

Jazz stuff: I have to agree with Rob Stoback, Bill Watrous solo on All the way...anything played by Carl Fontana...

Mahler's 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th and 8th symphonies, Brahms 4th symphony and Ein Deutsches Requiem.

Morten Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium

Fauré's Requiem

Richard Strauss' Also Spracth Zarathustra.. especially when the small string ensemble comes in in the middle of the second part called "Von den Hinterweltlern" and progresses to the full string section... just divine
ttf_C-Bone9000

Post by ttf_C-Bone9000 »

I don't see how anyone could forget Brahms' German Requiem.  Now THAT is beautiful music (along with everything else mentioned of course).  And as cheesy as the string synths may be, Bill Watrous' recording of "Unforgettable" is quite beautiful itself.
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by evan51:

[/font]
[/font]
There is a trombone quartet version of this that is beautiful....
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]At risk of tooting my own "horn", one of the most beautiful things I have heard was a live performance of the Adagio which I conducted.

Let me 'splain.

A few years ago (1993, I believe) trombonist/composer Ron Minor put together an all brass concert in tribute to his retired college band director and father, Benton Minor, at California S.U., Fullerton. His idea was to get as many of the brass players who had played in his father's bands and gone onto professional careers, as well as any other pros who wanted to play. One of those alumni was Gene Pokorny (tuba, Chicago Symphony) who said he would be pleased to play and could he bring the Chicago Trombone section along as well   Image  !!

And they came, and played, and did an hour by themselves (Friedman, Mulcahy, Vernon, and Pokorny). Once the word got out they were coming, there were no shortage of great players from the LA area (and San Diego) who wanted to be part of the concert. There were brass players from the LA Phil, the Pacific Symphony, the San Diego Symphony, and some of the top free lancers in Southern California. Several people shared conducting honors, former students (now directors) and players (like me).

Ron Minor got an arrangement of the  complete Adagio movement (not the abridged quartet version) which had been done for 8 or 10 trombones by a Japanese arranger. Because the top 2 parts were so high (and we had the "guns"), Ron rewrote the parts for French Horns and doubled the bass trombone with tuba. I think there were two players on every part, about 20 low brass in total. All first-call professionals.

The rehearsal was a read-through in the afternoon. That night, I stepped in front of this low/high brass ensemble that included the Chicago Low Brass, some of the LA Phil, the Pacific Symphony, and other top notch players and moved my baton while they played. I can't say I really conducted it, rather, I had the best seat in the house   Image  !!

The 3 1/2 hour concert got a rave review in the LA Times. Though it was long, even the reviewer said only a music hater would have cut one of the pieces. He raved about the "transcendantal, languid" Saint-Saenns arrangement.

It seemed fantastic to me, heavenly would be a minimal statement. I thought it was maybe was just the moment, but I got a double CD of the entire performance and the Adagio was absolutely one of "the most beautiful things I have ever heard."

And then I got to put down the baton, pick up my bass trombone and sit in with those guys while Jeff Reynolds conducted 2 large Richard Strauss brass ensembles. Not only beautiful, but majestic beyond belief  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Freddie Hubbards solo on Maiden Voyage.
Horace Silvers solo on Song for my Father.
Jaco/Mangelssdorff Ant steps on an Elephants Toe
(when I first heard it, it was like listening to music for the first time).
ttf_Stefan Stolarchuk

Post by ttf_Stefan Stolarchuk »

Now that I have a new CD in my inventory, I have two words for you:

Church Windows.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The most beautiful thing I have ever heard?  That so many people still love classical and jazz music as much or more than I do.  That's beautiful.

I read through this list and was reminded of all the music I love, and I love them all, but I didn't see Brahms Symphony 4, mvt 2 mentioned, and the first time I heard that I couldn't speak for the rest of the night.

Erin
ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe

Post by ttf_Ian McDougall Wannabe »

It's between the Brahms Requiem and Elgar's Enigma Variations.  They both make me shiver...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Non-bone:
Movement 2 of Mark Camphouse's "Three London Miniatures"
The slow middle section of "Vesuvius" by Frank Ticheli (as you can see in my screen name)
Beethoven's "Fur Elise"
ttf_Orestes

Post by ttf_Orestes »

I am going to vote for the Harp Concerto by Gliere. Wonderful! Not a lot of trombone content, though, for that it would be Bob Fitzpatrick's solo on La Quera Baila (Kenton's Cuban Fire album.)
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Schumann Sym. 3 Mvmt 4 great trombone solo at the beginning
Armstrong & Dukes: Washington and Lee Swing
Armstrong: When youre smiling
Bruckner Sym 8 Mvmt 4
Faure Requiem: Libera me & Agnus Dei
Paul Cacia: Dont let the sun go down
Nils Landgren Funk Unit: Schmackofatz & Freedom Jazz Dance
Shostakovich Symphony 5 Mvmt 4

that are my absolute favourites
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The two rather unique ones that I can think of are Bud Shank's  rendition of A Time for Love off of a disc he did with two other sax players in the Seattle area. Can't remember the name of the guy who was the "leader" on the session, but the title is Lopin' and it also has Denny Goodhew on it. Absolutely beautiful music.

The other thing I can think of is the sax soli on "The Man I Love" as done on the Arturo Sandoval movie soundtrack disc.
lushest section sound I've ever heard.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The viola solo in Coppelia.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

How about Ian Bousfield's sound and musicianship on the solos in Mahler 3 with Vienna-  wow.   (the newer recording- which I think was recorded live).  

Also- Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Gorecki 3rd symphony... just got  the Nonesuch label recording of it... IT'S DIVINE!!!!!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I would have the say the last movement of Mahler 2.  Simply amazing.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I would have to say the most beautiful thing I have heard was a recording of William Rivelli and the Michigan band playing Richard Wagners Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral from Lohengrin.
Balance in this piece is beautiful. It is just one of those songs you can't get too loud on.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Debussy- La Mer
Mahler- Sym.no 6
ttf_Thedrakester

Post by ttf_Thedrakester »

Gil Evans arrangement of Moon Dreams from Miles Davis The Birth of the Cool
Gerry Mulligan's Festive Minor from the Night Lights album.

The first time my kids laughed as babies

Miles Ahead - Gil Evans and Miles
Porgy and Bess - Gil Evans and Miles
Sketches of Spain - Gil Evans and Miles

Numerous classical composers so many but Beethoven, Stravinsky stand out for me.

Sometimes when my ten piece band is cooking it just gives me chills.

oh and there was this lovely young lady I knew who....  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i heard this mazda rx7 once on a dyno that had a turbo that ran so fast, the whine coming off it passed out of the audible range. i like the sound of turbos in general. if you run enough boost, you get that "pssss" sound when the exhaust manifold pressure collapses after you let off the accelerator. i love driving around industrial areas 'cause there are lots of big trucks with turbos and i can hear that sound. i've also heard this animal on tv in the amazon jungle that makes this really cool "whuuup" sound, starting mid-range and going up pretty high. wish i knew what it was. that's a cool sound, too.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Australian Whipbirds sound a bit like that description. But if birds are your bag then the Australian Bellbird has the the most beautiful call of all!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i think it was a bird in the amazon jungle, but i'll check that out, graham. thanks!
ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

A number of years ago I was listening to community theater auditions (my "get out of ****  free" card) when this nice- looking blonde starting burning down the room with her rendition of "the man I love".  It was all I could do not to shout out, "why isn't that man ME???"  Image
ttf_Graham Martin

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by freeimprovjeff:
i think it was a bird in the amazon jungle, but i'll check that out, graham. thanks!
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Here is the call of the Eastern Whipbird Jeff:

http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/calls.html

Is it anything like that sound you heard?

Some of the other Australian birdcalls on that site are also absolutely beautiful to my ears. Of course the Kookaburra is just plain spooky!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill singing the duet from Bizet's "Pearl Fishers". (I'm limiting this to music; there are, of course, other beautiful sounds in the world.  In fact, silence at the top of a mountain in the Alps is pretty amazing)
ttf_evan51

Post by ttf_evan51 »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Bob Reifsnyder:
Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill singing the duet from Bizet's "Pearl Fishers". (I'm limiting this to music; there are, of course, other beautiful sounds in the world.  In fact, silence at the top of a mountain in the Alps is pretty amazing)
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]In the Sacred Temple ......

THere are some trombone duets for concert band of this is England. I'd like to get these but the blokes never return my e-mail.....

Agreed....it is beautiful.

Evan
ttf_jzs

Post by ttf_jzs »

It's a tie between Liebestraum and Consolation No. 3 in D, both by Franz Liszt.

But for strictly trombone, I'd say any ballad by Curtis Fuller from the 1950s, before his absolutely gorgeous tone depleted.

And the entire Clifford with Strings album for jazz as a whole.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi all,

Doing my show today I picked up Dizzy Gillespi's   Bird Songs  (Telarc CD-83421) and listened to the second cut, "Con Alma."

I'll have to admit that it's not Diz's tightest playing...but it reflects a man who has spent a lifetime making music, and conveys some pretty important stuff.  Very beautiful music.

The most beautiful?  Nah.  But Beautiful.   Image

RH
ttf_Graham Martin

I was also having some trouble coming to terms with that word 'most'.

A couple of recording I have recently been revisiting are:

'Music for Loving' - Ben Webster with Strings - on Verve.

I love the beautiful breathy sound of Ben Webster. On this set of ballads his soloing is superb against a background of string writing mainly by Ralph Burns. Superb countermelodies and chord choices that take the strings way past the usual mundane long root notes.

Some of the 2CD album is devoted to 'Harry Carney with Strings'. Again a very distinctive saxophone sound but on baritone. One of my favourite tracks is 'A Ghost Of A Chance' on which he plays bass clarinet.

Other jazz players on the recordings are a 'who's who' of the Ellington and Basie bands.

"Lady in Satin" by Billie Hodiday.

This recording is very sad - particularly the tune 'For All We Know'. The accompaniement is by the strings of Ray Ellis and his Orchestra and it was recorded in 1958 when Billie was obviously at death's door. Her voice was shot to pieces, pitch and control very questionable and she had long ago become a parodie of herself. Billie is my favourite jazz singer but I cannot come back to this one too often because it is just so moving - But Beautiful! - which is also one of the tunes she sings.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

graham, i'm pretty sure the eastern whipbird is the bird i was looking for. i listened to those sound clips and i think that's it, so thanks a bunch!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It is for sure the recording of Michel Becquet of the alt-trombone concerto by Leopold Mozart (played by him on tenor). Its the only recording what I can listen a 1000 times. On this CD you really here the real sound of becquet and this is the nicest you have ever heard. If you dont have this recording you really need to buy it. AMAZING!

I added a little realmedia soundfile of this piece on my website  http://www.trombones.nl/ ! Go to interviews and you can select your bandwith there......
ttf_Graham Martin

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by king5b:
"Baby It's Cold Outside" by Ray Charles and Betty Carter
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Yeeeeah! Ain't that a great recoding!    Image      Image      Image  

Image   Welcome aboard Bonebro!!!   Image  I like to see the Martins of this world getting around the internet.
ttf_king5b

Post by ttf_king5b »

"Baby It's Cold Outside" by Ray Charles and Betty Carter

Also Bill Pearce's ballad playing is just about the most beautiful thing that I have ever heard.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

well, I make trips to the music library pretty much atleast once a day. one my trip down to the lp section , and my normal random pull of an lp(the lights were of today so it was completely random), I got something called "gounod   melodies" sung by Bruno Laplante

threw it on the record player, and started to do some theory homework(generally get about 20 minutes of theory work with good music behind and then 40 minutes or so of just listening)... well I didn't get to far.

from the first chord of the first song "o ma belle rebelle" I basically could not bear to take myself away even partially from the recording to do homework. this lasted the entire LP.

and hopefully, with enough work on my currently non-existant french diction, I'll be singing "o ma belle rebelle" in lessons in a few weeks. and I'm definatetly going to give a much more in depth look into Gounod's music.

that was just....
I don;t know what, but it was good whatever it was

ttf_BoneyW

Post by ttf_BoneyW »

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]quote:[/font][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Originally posted by Bonebro Martin:
It is for sure the recording of Michel Becquet of the alt-trombone concerto by Leopold Mozart (played by him on tenor). Its the only recording what I can listen a 1000 times.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Great tip! Dat ga ik eens uitzoeken.

I can't get enough of 'Collective' by the New Trombone collective    Image  

Welkom! Ps. Mooie makeover en contentuitbreiding van trombones.nl    Image    

Groeten    Image

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”