Most beautiful thing you have ever heard

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

'The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady' / Charles Mingus ¡IMPULSE! Records 1963.
Lester Youngs solo on 'Mean to me' from a live broadcast early 50's
erling
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

the unanswered question - by charles ives.
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

The brasses of my wind ensemble played "Let thy Holy Presence", by Tschesnokoff, transcribed from male choir by Bill Holcombe. It truly gave me chills to play, and a non-musician friend of mine (that I dragged out on the promise of beer) gave me heck  afterwards. He wasn't used to getting all choked up out in public like that!

I love listening to Lindbergs opening of de Frumerie's Concerto for Trombone on the "Romantic" CD. The Grondahl is a close second.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A solo by a alto sax my age at a weekend band clinic at Mississippi State University. IT's the brief sax solo in Allegro and Intermezzo. It was really pretty sounding the very first time we played through it(sightreading) he did very well... Two days later... On stage at MSU in front of a sold out crowd... he played it so beautifully it seriously brought tears to my eyes... yep... a trombone sittin first chair on the last row with tears in his eyes. There was so much emotion behind the music and it seems he even added a good deal more of his own to it. He didn't just play the solo... he made himself a part of it.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Rachmaninoffs 18th varitation from rapsody on a theme by Paganini.  Written for piano and orchestra.  Played in the movies Somewhere in Time and in Groundhog Day.  I first heard it performed by Victor Borge.
ttf_Slidennis

Post by ttf_Slidennis »

QuoteOriginally posted by Daiel88H:

(I know, I'm a young, naive, sappy, kid)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't you dare say that, Daniel! If you DON'T feel that an "I love you" from a very special someone, or indeed anyone, is the most beautiful thing you could hear, you might as well wrap yourself in your shroud, right now, and say "Goodbye world".

Back to the first 1 of a thousand post of RHM past, found this I wanted to ressurect, made me happy all of a sudden, who knows why?    Image Image
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Mahler #2 5th movement. As performed by the Seattle Youth Symphony spring 2010 with my 9th grade son as principal horn.
Mahler 10
Bruckner #8 3rd movement adagio.
Wagner Wotans fair well from Die Walkyrie
ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

My school performing Puccini's Suor Angelica
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Will bradley's playing in "I don't stand a Ghost of a Chance with You". I really think he played with more heart and soul then Dorsey did at his best. His solo on this is amazing, and sound, wow! Just beautiful. You could hear some really solid legit aspects to his sound. Just absolutely beautiful. You can hear this if you but the CD "Hellalujah", featuring him and his orchestra; this CD has been out a short time. And for just touching a note, Jack Jenny's High Fs in two takes of Stardust he made with his own band; again this on a CD that you can buy almost anywhere. Man, he just touchs those notes, and what a sound, wow!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Most beautiful thing I've heard is I'm Getting Sentimental Over You played by Tommy Dorsey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKQc-cbAvdQ&feature=related
ttf_chriss

Post by ttf_chriss »

1. Giovanni Gabrieli's Canzona per Sonare no. 2 (aka Canzon Seconda a 4).  On CD "Gabrieli in Venice" by London Brass/Philip Pickett conducting, Apex 0927 40823 2.

2. Almost any G Gabrieli vocal+organ+brass -- one example CD "In Festo Sanctissimae Trinitatae" by Choeur de Chambre de Namur + Fenice, Tubery conducting; Ricercar 259. But it is all gorgeous music.  If you can find the words and translate, many/most are also just beautiful and peaceful prayers at the same time.

3. Adam Woolf, Songs without Words.  From his website: "Joined by a wonderful team of colleagues: Siobhán Armstrong-harp, Kathryn Cok-keyboards, Nicholas Milne-viola da gamba, Eligio Quinteiro-theorbo; the first commercial CD to feature the sackbut purely as a solo instrument in 16th and 17th century music. Monteverdi, Frescobaldi, Schutz, etc etc etc.
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

There's a brass band arrangement called "Aspects of Praise" by William Himes; the slow movement is really quite beautiful.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Good resurrection...

In the last couple of days I've become completely obsessed with an old English folk song that popped up randomly on BBC Radio 3 - 'The Three Ravens'. Such a haunting melody when sung with a clear voice... And such a sad story... Though a rather enigmatic narrative.

Here's several different versions from YouTube:
Andreas Scholl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsNCLjMgTM
Evelyn Tubb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDRjF6t-Zl8
Peter, Paul and Mary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyvYI_DDJg
Djazia Satour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KjjERlsnw

and here's a modern take on it. Completely different tune, by John Harle, the saxophonist, but very much captures the spirit of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jws_UyDwlFs
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: chriss on Feb 10, 2011, 09:22AM1. Giovanni Gabrieli's Canzona per Sonare no. 2 (aka Canzon Seconda a 4).  On CD "Gabrieli in Venice" by London Brass/Philip Pickett conducting, Apex 0927 40823 2.

2. Almost any G Gabrieli vocal+organ+brass -- one example CD "In Festo Sanctissimae Trinitatae" by Choeur de Chambre de Namur + Fenice, Tubery conducting; Ricercar 259. But it is all gorgeous music.  If you can find the words and translate, many/most are also just beautiful and peaceful prayers at the same time.

3. Adam Woolf, Songs without Words.  From his website: "Joined by a wonderful team of colleagues: Siobhán Armstrong-harp, Kathryn Cok-keyboards, Nicholas Milne-viola da gamba, Eligio Quinteiro-theorbo; the first commercial CD to feature the sackbut purely as a solo instrument in 16th and 17th century music. Monteverdi, Frescobaldi, Schutz, etc etc etc.
There is a cd with the PHil, Chi and NY brass and E. Power Biggs on organ, "The Antiphonal Music of Gabrielli"  it's an amazing cd.  it's a must own.
ttf_chriss

Post by ttf_chriss »

Quote from: ronkny on Feb 10, 2011, 12:23PMThere is a cd with the PHil, Chi and NY brass and E. Power Biggs on organ, "The Antiphonal Music of Gabrielli"  it's an amazing cd.  it's a must own.

I've also enjoyed that one VERY MUCH for years. I mentioned that on another thread here, and someone said it isn't period-accurate.
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,54253.0/all.html -- reply #15
I don't know much about "period-accurate" performance and respect and much appreciate the education from those who know more.  Even that London Brass CD I mentioned, I understand, isn't completely "period-accurate."

I also got a London Cornett+Sackbutt Ensemble CD of Gabrieli's "Canzoni & Sonate" that I understand IS more period-accurate.

The differences in the performances and instruments are easy to hear.  And there's a delicacy and intimacy to the period-accurate performances which make them very beautiful music indeed.  That said, I still admire and enjoy the Biggs performances.  Perhaps they are a significant "re-interpretation" of how the music may have been performed in 1590's - 1610's.  But music does get re-interpreted over time and I enjoy this one.

Bottom line to me --- Gabrieli wrote some breathtakingly GORGEOUS music. I'm now lucky to hear 3 different performances of many of his beautiful pieces.  And all the performances are different and ... they are all still gorgeous to my hearing.  Bravo to Gabrieli and to those who get to play his stuff.

I did this Canzona per Sonare No. 2 last summer with a couple pals in church.  Lord knows it wasn't a remarkable performance by anyone's standards.  But the joy of being in the middle of the music and behind a horn and being a part of it was ... just THRILLING for a flat-out amateur like me.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: chriss on Feb 10, 2011, 02:26PMI've also enjoyed that one VERY MUCH for years. I mentioned that on another thread here, and someone said it isn't period-accurate.
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,54253.0/all.html -- reply #15
I don't know much about "period-accurate" performance and respect and much appreciate the education from those who know more.  Even that London Brass CD I mentioned, I understand, isn't completely "period-accurate."

I also got a London Cornett+Sackbutt Ensemble CD of Gabrieli's "Canzoni & Sonate" that I understand IS more period-accurate.

The differences in the performances and instruments are easy to hear.  And there's a delicacy and intimacy to the period-accurate performances which make them very beautiful music indeed.  That said, I still admire and enjoy the Biggs performances.  Perhaps they are a significant "re-interpretation" of how the music may have been performed in 1590's - 1610's.  But music does get re-interpreted over time and I enjoy this one.

Bottom line to me --- Gabrieli wrote some breathtakingly GORGEOUS music. I'm now lucky to hear 3 different performances of many of his beautiful pieces.  And all the performances are different and ... they are all still gorgeous to my hearing.  Bravo to Gabrieli and to those who get to play his stuff.

I did this Canzona per Sonare No. 2 last summer with a couple pals in church.  Lord knows it wasn't a remarkable performance by anyone's standards.  But the joy of being in the middle of the music and behind a horn and being a part of it was ... just THRILLING for a flat-out amateur like me.
Ditto!
I enjoy that album for the beautiful playing.  Period accuracy is not important to me when listening to these legends.  Just enjoy.
ttf_robinjessome

Post by ttf_robinjessome »

Carla Bley - The Lord is Listenin'... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXijK-JlULg

GARY!!!

Kenny Wheeler's Opening from Music for Large and Small Ensembles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcECrHxbhDw

Tom Waits - Johnsburg, Illinois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azD2Q5FudBE
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

I second Berstein's Mahler 7 Nachtmusik but a couple that I think no one can go without listening to in their lifetime.
- Gavin Bryars, Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me
- Steve Reich, Daniel Variations
- Mozart, Requiem (Academy of St. Martin's on the Field)
- Dvorak, Cello Concerto (Gothenberg Symphony Orchestra, Helmerson)

The other one I have to say is the final movement of Mahler 9. The first time I performed this I almost cried on stage.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: Dombat on Feb 12, 2011, 03:40AMI second Berstein's Mahler 7 Nachtmusik but a couple that I think no one can go without listening to in their lifetime.
- Gavin Bryars, Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me
- Steve Reich, Daniel Variations
- Mozart, Requiem (Academy of St. Martin's on the Field)
- Dvorak, Cello Concerto (Gothenberg Symphony Orchestra, Helmerson)

The other one I have to say is the final movement of Mahler 9. The first time I performed this I almost cried on stage.
I actually did cry during the ending of Mahler 2 when my son was performing with SYSO at Beneroya Hall last May.
ttf_SilverPenguin

Post by ttf_SilverPenguin »

Joe Alessi just did a residency here at UA including a solo recital, lessons, masterclasses, and a performance of the Bourgeois with the wind ensemble.  All of his playing was absolutely top-notch, world-class, stellar.  Still - for me, what I can't get out of my head, is the Elkjer arrangement of the Largo from the Vivaldi Piccolo Concerto that he played.  I've been playing for a while now - and I had no idea the trombone could sound like that.

Honorable mention (and this is going to sound so UA-biased it's not funny) has to go to Demondrae Thurman's entire Songs of a Wayfarer CD.  It hit me at the end of that disc that I'd just listened to a euphonium cd and absolutely LOVED it.

These are not necessarily my all-time favorite performances... but for beauty, tops.
ttf_connman93

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Not trombone related, but Eric Whitacre's choral music is absolutely amazing. Particularly "Sleep". It is probably the most beautiful thing I have ever heard so far in my life.
ttf_fluor

Post by ttf_fluor »

Quote from: connman93 on Feb 14, 2011, 03:48AMNot trombone related, but Eric Whitacre's choral music is absolutely amazing. Particularly "Sleep". It is probably the most beautiful thing I have ever heard so far in my life.

YES.

someone should transcribe it for trombone choir. I am so sick of all the bad trombone choir pieces. (I know... copyright etc)
ttf_connman93

Post by ttf_connman93 »

Quote from: fluor on Feb 15, 2011, 10:13AMYES.

someone should transcribe it for trombone choir. I am so sick of all the bad trombone choir pieces. (I know... copyright etc)
I was actually going to buy a copy of the choral music and arrange it for trombone choir... Is there any legal stuff I have to watch out for?
ttf_JSBassTrb

Post by ttf_JSBassTrb »

Alessi playing Bolero  Image
ttf_DSanders

Post by ttf_DSanders »

"Silent Night" - Singer's Unlimited Christmas album circa 1972.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The slow, ballad variation of Fantasy Variations on a Theme by Niccolo Paganini. We played it my junior year in AZ allstate band. Absolutely beautiful
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Herb Bruce playing "The Lord's Prayer"
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Rachmaninoff Symphony no. 2 3rd movement hands down.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

My grandaughters laughter!
ttf_trombone addict

Post by ttf_trombone addict »

Had the enormous plesure to play the band arrangement of sleep in my band.

When people played mostly in tune (yes...mostly.) it was beautiful. I cannot imagine the TRUE beauty of it when it is played by the pros.

Those intervals...OH MY GOD  Image

I dont know how he did it, but he is an amazing composer.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: alby_t-bone on Jun 16, 2003, 12:53AM

"Looking up" by Michel Petrucciani (solo piano version)

+1 for Michel P, both solo and in his trio. He simply nails jazz piano.
ttf_PhilE

Post by ttf_PhilE »

It's hard to say which is the most beautiful.  There is so much.  But here are a couple that I keep going back to for their musical beauty.

Bill Pearce - You Needed Me

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2

Reading back through this thread many spoke of their emotional response to the beautiful music they have encountered or been a part of.

Last year our concert band played a piece called American Elegy as our own choice at the state band championships.  We rehearsed it many times before.  It could have become old hat to us but on the day we really nailed it.  That was a quietly emotional moment.  Not because we finally got it but the emotion in the music was expressed so clearly.  The other pieces we did that day failed to produce the same reaction.

It has intrigued me for a while now why amazingly beautiful music can generate such an emotional response. 

We typically don't have the same reaction to a beautiful meal or a beautiful landscape scene. 

I guess that it is a measure of the power of music.

ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Trombone-wise:

When we played Bolero in my community band, and the ex-professional trombonist played the solo.

The first time I heard it, my breath caught in my throat.
I'd never heard trombone playing like that on an amateur level, or heard that kind of sound coming from eight feet away.
I stopped accepting my own skill level as "good enough for community band" and got more serious about trombone after that.
ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Quote from: lethargicllama7 on Mar 22, 2011, 08:24PMThe slow, ballad variation of Fantasy Variations on a Theme by Niccolo Paganini. We played it my junior year in AZ allstate band. Absolutely beautiful
Composer is James Barnes, right?
ttf_Bimmerman

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

non music: 787b Mazda ripping it down the Corkscrew at full song.

Music: Mahler 2 5th movement- brass choir and especially the finale with the organ.
ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

updated:
Choral--Belshazzar's Feast (Walton); Serenade to Music (Vaughan Williams) Navidad Nuestra and Misa Criolla (Ariel Ramirez)
Orchestral--Tchaikovsky Symphonies and Concertos; Mozart Piano Concertos
Band--Fiesta del Pacifico (Nixon); William Byrd Suite (Jacob)
Solo performers (no particular order)--Murray Perahia; Elly Ameling; Roberta Peters; Jay Friedman; Joe Alessi; Gary Louie (saxophone); Emmanuel Ax;
special mention--accompanists Samuel Sanders and Harriet Wingren.

Familial--
youngest daughter singing Schubert, Handel and Vivaldi (getting ready for music school auditions);
"Eagle Scout Daniel J. De Kok Jr." (son);
my wife's laughter, especially when she starts snorting;
oldest daughter grunting when she's playing rugby.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”