New Modern Rock-Pop Horn Band!

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello Trombone Forum Friends!

Long time, no talk! But here I am and very excited to tell you about my new band Vinyl Hampdin (Yep...pretty much the coolest band name of all times! Image )  I am, of course, a jazz trombonist, but my first love was always rock, epic funk and pop (the likes of Chicago, BS&T, James Brown, Tower of Power, EW&F The Crusaders et al–and therefore Jimmy Pankow, Dave Bargeron, Fred Wesley, Wayne Henderson, etc) and I have always wanted to create a band that is deeply rooted in that tradition while also exploring current trends, textures and grooves. Such is the case with Vinyl Hampdin:

It's an all-star group: Frank David Greene on trumpet (incredible lead trumpet artist with Chris McBride, Paul Shaffer, Roy Hargrove, The Dizzy Gillespie All Stars, etc) Ray Herrmann (current woodwind artist with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Super Group Chicago) Stockton Helbing (drummer with Doc Severinsen, Maynard Ferguson, producer, renaissance man) Eric Gunnison (keyboards with Carmen MCrae, The Dizzy Gillespie All Stars, MANY others) Gerald Stockton (bassist with everyone from Andy Williams to Michael Brecker) Ryan Davidson (Multiple CCMA Guitarist of The Year Awardee, guitarist on my Concerto For Folded Space project) Art Bouton (our MONSTER bari sax player, top call EVERYTHING in Denver, CO) myself on trombone and to top it all off, one of the greatest vocalists I have EVER heard Lisa Dodd (ACMA Artist of The Year, 2017) What a band!!

You can hear lots from our new project at our website: https://www.vinylhampdin.com/ Or, you can pop on over to your favorite music purchasing lair and pick up our new release titled RED. (You can start here at CD Baby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/vinylhampdin Or, if visual is your thing (like me Image ) Check out one of our videos by multiple Grammy Award-WInning Cinematographer (of Snarky Puppy fame) Andy LaViolette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVXQfW9S8s

I am announcing all of this here not to make money (nobody but the .000000000001% can do that with recorded music these days, sadly) but to spread the word. Starting a new horn band in the 21st Century is somewhere between insane and impossible...but with your help, we can build up enough of a buzz to get this thing on the road! And THAT is the ultimate goal for me.

Also, if you have the album already or have just grabbed one (or are in the process!) please consider writing a review. Doesn't have to be much...just a couple of sentences or so (or an entire tome if you so feel) and we will post it on our review page, where the PEOPLE are talking about it (not the critics Image ) https://www.vinylhampdin.com/vh-reviews

Thanks one-and-all!

ttf_Arranger-Transcriber

Post by ttf_Arranger-Transcriber »

All the best, Steve!

- Douglas Smink
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Just checked out the site, listened to a few cuts.  Wow!  Gonna get the CD.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

SWEET!!!!!

Awesome callback to my previous history as a punk rock fan... plus my newly cultivated love for blues/funk!! Really great stuff you guys got going here, I'll add the album to my wish list  Image Image
ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

Excited about this release!

Assume all horn arrangements by Grammy nominated  Steve Wiest?  Any solos for Steve?

Regardless, a must buy for me.  Hope to see you on tour.
ttf_Nolabone

Post by ttf_Nolabone »

Really, really, really great!
Amazing in all aspects--Steve, I hope this takes off.

ttf_Nolabone

Post by ttf_Nolabone »

Really, really, really great!
Amazing in all aspects--Steve, I hope this takes off.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”