Trombone concertos/solos

ttf_anonymous

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm looking for a new solo to play. I plan on auditioning for my school's concerto competition so any suggested concertos would be great, but also any other solos. I've played Morceau Symphonique, Andante and Allegro (Barat), Concert Piece #5, Aria and Polonaise, which was a bit of a stretch for me and am working on Casterede and Grafe concerto. I play lyrical music well, have decent technical abilities, and my range in a solo goes up to a high D-flat.
Also a note: I wont be able to audition for the concerto competition on the Grondahl, Tomasi, or David concerto.
ttf_vegasbound

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What has your teacher suggested?
ttf_Keith

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_Keith »

The Rimsky Korsakov is one of the easier concertos, in my opinion.
ttf_scsmit

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_scsmit »

Quote from: vegasbound on Oct 20, 2017, 11:39PMWhat has your teacher suggested?
My teacher had suggested the Grondahl, but it has just been used for the competition so I was looking for something different
ttf_sonicsilver

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Concertino - Lars Erik Larsson

Ballade - Frank Martin

And if you're allowed to do music written for other instruments, Elgar's Romance for Bassoon is lovely, and of course sounds much better on trombone. More nobilmente, as Elgar would have wanted...

Hindemith's Trauermusik is another good bit of stolen repertoire.
ttf_vegasbound

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: scsmit on Oct 21, 2017, 06:22AMMy teacher had suggested the Grondahl, but it has just been used for the competition so I was looking for something different

Then have another conversation and express your reservations and see what else he/ she suggest.  We don't know your playing
ttf_trombonemetal

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Check out the Gordon Jacob Concerto
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm partial to the Saint-Saens Cavatine.  He also wrote a Morceau de Concert that is a favorite of horn players which I like.

I'm also partial to the Mozart Horn Concertos.  You can make them impossibly hard, especially in the cadenzas, but in many cases the basic piece works pretty well.  Nos 2, 3, and 4 are for Horn in Eb so you can read the music (bring it up an octave to match tessitura).  No. 1 is for Horn in D which means you need to read alto clef.
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

While I'm at it, my friend Ed Madden (fine trombonist and composer of "A Colonial Rhapsody") has a trombone solo based on the Berceuse from Jocelyn.  You can get it directly from him at Coach Lane Music:

Edward J Madden
15435 North Cabrillo Drive
Fountain Hills, AZ 85268

Sorry, I don't have a phone number.  I believe Ed is a member of the Forum, though.

The piece itself is quite lyrical and not terribly difficult.  I did it with the Hollis Town Band (with Ed playing trombone in back of me).
ttf_sonicsilver

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: trombonemetal on Oct 21, 2017, 07:26AMCheck out the Gordon Jacob Concerto

And when he does, he'll find several high Ds here and there and also high F in the last movt.

...my range in a solo goes up to a high D-flat... he said.
ttf_scsmit

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_scsmit »

Quote from: sonicsilver on Oct 21, 2017, 10:06AMAnd when he does, he'll find several high Ds here and there and also high F in the last movt.

...my range in a solo goes up to a high D-flat... he said.
She:) And yes, I've already decided the Gordon Jacob concerto would be a little (or a lot) beyond me right now.
ttf_trombonemetal

Trombone concertos/solos

Quote from: sonicsilver on Oct 21, 2017, 06:46AMConcertino - Lars Erik Larsson

Ballade - Frank Martin

And if you're allowed to do music written for other instruments, Elgar's Romance for Bassoon is lovely, and of course sounds much better on trombone. More nobilmente, as Elgar would have wanted...

Hindemith's Trauermusik is another good bit of stolen repertoire.

No high Ds in Martin...

Why can't you do David?
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Trombone concertos/solos

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Quote from: trombonemetal on Oct 21, 2017, 02:04PMNo high Ds in Martin...

Why can't you do David?

There are some prominent high "D's" in the Martin. David is a solo that every serious tenor trombonist studying Classical music should play at some point - I'd second that recommendation.

Jim Scott
ttf_trombonemetal

Trombone concertos/solos

I know. I was being sarcastic. Sorry1
ttf_trombonemetal

Trombone concertos/solos

I know. I was being sarcastic. Sorry1

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”