An American In Paris

ttf_EdGrissom

An American In Paris

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

I have to play this on bass trombone next spring.  I will get my music about 3 weeks before the concert but I know I will need more than that to get it ready.  If anyone has a copy or PDFs of excerpts or the whole bass trombone part could you send me a PM?  I want to ask a couple of questions about it.
ttf_SilverBone

An American In Paris

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

The entire score is available on IMSLP:

http://imslp.org/wiki/An_American_in_Paris_(Gershwin,_George)

I do have some excerpts which I would be happy to email you, but your email is hidden.  You can PM me your email address if you like and I'll send it.
ttf_sonicsilver

An American In Paris

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Don't panic, OP.

The American In Paris concert piece is only about 20 minutes long. It has a good bass trombone part with a couple of mini solos and some flashy section stuff - but nothing frightful. Three weeks is ample time.

And enjoy yourself. The piece is a rare example of glorious technicolour pop culture that's earned a place in the 'serious' repertoire. There must be more in a similar vein, but the score was never published, or no one ever assembled a coherent concert suite from the movie cues, or the parts were lost in The Great Studio Insurance Scam Fire of 19somethingandsomething... John Wilson and his orchestra (based in Britain) digs around for this kind of repertoire but I understand he recreates a lot of it by transcribing from recordings. I take off my hat off to him in awe. It's a huge amount of work and he must have the ears of a bat to do it.

Here's the LA Phil and Gustavo Dudamel in a super performance of American in Paris.

https://youtu.be/EGt000iascg

ttf_sonicsilver

An American In Paris

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Don't panic, OP.

The American In Paris concert piece is only about 20 minutes long. It has a good bass trombone part with a couple of mini solos and some flashy section stuff - but nothing frightful. Three weeks is ample time.

And enjoy yourself. The piece is a rare example of glorious technicolour pop culture that's earned a place in the 'serious' repertoire. There must be more in a similar vein, but the score was never published, or no one ever assembled a coherent concert suite from the movie cues, or the parts were lost in The Great Studio Insurance Scam Fire of 19somethingandsomething... John Wilson and his orchestra (based in Britain) digs around for this kind of repertoire but I understand he recreates a lot of it by transcribing from recordings. I take off my hat off to him in awe. It's a huge amount of work and he must have the ears of a bat to do it.

Here's the LA Phil and Gustavo Dudamel in a super performance of American in Paris.

https://youtu.be/EGt000iascg

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”