Bass Trumpet Literature???

ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Do you know if there is any solo literature written for Bass Trumpet?
Where would I find it?

ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I don't think so, but one publication of the Bohme sextet has a bass trumpet part as an option in place of the horn. I just had some students play it that way, and it was great.
ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

Giacinto Scelsi and Kurt Isaacson both have solos.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I have a recording somewhere of a German Brass Quintet that used a Bass Trumpet in the place normally occupied by the French Horn. This is about a 40 year old recording, and the Brass Quintet was a new enough chamber ensemble without much literature written explicitly for it, so that there wasn't as much of an expectation of what to expect. It's a bit off topic, but I've heard of a few quintets that specialized in Baroque and Renaissance music that used 2 trumpets, and 3 trombones (alto, tenor & bass).

I'd have to search for that Brass Quintet album, but I remember being struck by the Bass Trumpet taking the solo usually given to the Horn in the Cheetham - Scherzo. Nice to hear that color.

Jim Scott
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I used to have that German Brass Quintet recording. I was really struck by how Dark they played.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

I don't know if any of it is written, but I guess you already have some Cy Touff recordings (Tickle Toe, recorded with Sandy Mosse on tenor, is great).
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

I don't know if any of it is written, but I guess you already have some Cy Touff recordings (Tickle Toe, recorded with Sandy Mosse on tenor, is great).

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”