Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??

ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

If a Bach 1 ½ G helps you to get the sound you want, you are not in the right mind if you don’t play that for some stupid reason like it is not what everybody plays today or what ever.
Actually the question has been answered more then one time in this topic.

Who their right mind plays a Bach a 1 ½ G?

Some of the very few people that found a good one, and can get the sound they are looking for on it.

Some other players may look for the same sound, but get it from another size.
Some other players still look for a good Bach 1 ½ G.

I used to have a good one, I did not understand how rare it was, so I let George Strucel cut the rim of to put it one another cup. (Jörgen Johansson who gave me the piece really gave me hell for it) Image

DESTROYED!!!! Image  Image

Never found another like it.

I don’t play Bach 1 ½ G.

50 years ago all orchestra trombonists in Stockholm played 12 C if tenors 1 ½ G in bass.
Today the tenors play in the size of 4G (or bigger) .
If the bass players would follow the evolution, what would they play? Bach -3 Huge?  Image

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Please remember that I started this topic up to offer a case for the good ol 1 1/2G still being a viable choice... A CHOICE... not THE choice, and not a better solution than larger mouthpieces... just another option that works for some as well as it worked 30 or 50 years ago. There is room for everybody and all tonal concepts.... no right and wrong... just opinions in a subjective art form.
Chris Stearn.

ttf_Tobbe

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

I have to admit, this topic being so looooong makes me stop reading all the inputs/replies. A lot of it could be a start of a new good topic...
Is it possible to end this longish and off topic topic and start new ones instead? Or am I the only one missing thing because I don't read this anymore?
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

I don't think recent posts have been at all off topic.
Having this topic here does nothing to prevent people starting other related threads, so I cannot see any point in closing what has been the most popular on-going mouthpiece topic on the forum... that would be perverse Image Image
Perhaps I'll have to do an 'edited highlights' version... but then, why should I ?
People read as much or as little as they want to.
Nobody has to read this... and it still doesn't amount to a novel... so I don't see it as a problem... more a reflection of the amount of consideration of this mouthpiece size issue within the bass trombone community.
Chris Stearn
ttf_Tobbe

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

OK
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I can only speak for my self Tobbe, but I see many of my posts are off topic, and also are very subjective. Not always so interesting for others. And when I speak about equipment I often do it wrong and want all to play and discover the same thing as myself. Thats not so interesting either. I'm first a teacher with a playing part in my job. Often for children or old people in a little place in Norway. Not so interesting either. But of course I should do the playing part as good as I can.

So for people like me this tread have been a reason to practice more, more joy in my playing again, After 20 years where my playing have been some down its up and go again.  And thats not a bad thing. I also see that nearly all the heavy pros here are posting here and do agree with the point Chris have when asking about the 1 1/2g to be a serious choice.  The funny thing about this tread is that everybody seems to have some  feelings about the Bach 1 1/2g. Its hated and praised. Is it a serious choice for a bass trombonist in 2009?  I don't have a clue. Well Chris and many other heavy players make it works nice in a modern world. So I will say it is. Isn't it the mother of all bass trombone mouthpieces? Of course hated and loved. Thats why the tread is so long. So don't close it. We need some input from players like Chris from time to time. There is a choice to jump over not so interesting posts. And Boneagain: Please use more "easy words" so an illiterate trombone player from fareaway can read it. My dictionary is soon worn. Your post is interesting for me and should like to understand all of it  Image

Leif
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Savio,

It might be about time to admit that you are far from illiterate.  While you are at it, you might as well also admit that very FEW of your posts are far from "on topic."  I would be a VERY happy many if I could write Norwegian half as well as you write English.  And I would be happy to have as many thought-provoking posts.

One thing that makes this thread stand out, in my mind, is the balance between mind and machine.  Chris' selection of title remains among the best I've seen on the entire forum.  The inclusion of "right mind" ensured, from the start, that we would not descend into the typical (and in my estimation futile) "What mouthpiece does everybody use" discussion. 

All too often we get to a certain point of frustration and, on determining the real source of that frustration, ask ourselves, "What in the world was I thinking?!?"  You have very kindly documented much of your mouthpiece meandering (I'd have said wandering experimentation, but really wanted the alliteration Image )  Your narratives provide a trail of breadcrumbs of thought.  Because we have some idea of "what in the world" YOU were thinking we might not have to follow what for you were dead ends... or we might find a path that, for some of us, might NOT be a dead end!  Can you appreciate the difference between what you wrote and writing, "I tried a Bach 2G and didn't like it.  Then I tried an Olds and it didn't work for me.  Then I tried a stainless piece and couldn't stand it.  Then I tried a mayonaise covered whiz-bang and it almost worked but I couldn't keep it on my face."

Is the 1 1/2G still a viable choice?  I agree with Tobbe that THAT question has been answered redundantly over and over again with great repetition.  But event though the original poster SAID that was the question, the ACTUAL subject line really implies a lot about WHY the 1 1/2G is still a viable choice.  And we continue to get interesting insights on that side.  Which are, IMHO, right ON topic.

I am glad that the slant toward big MP bashing has subsided.  From a quick review of the pages it seems to me that it never really got off the ground.  That really WOULD have been "off topic!!!"

ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

You're in your right mind to play a Bach 1 1/2G if you are fortunate enough to satisfy the following conditions:

1. You have access to a great horn that responds best to a now "vintage" sized mouthpiece.

2. You have the luxury to have the time to warm-up properly and face reams of ridulous pedal tones, and literature that is aimed at being tuba etudes.

3. You have tried bigger and found it is "not for you".

4. You have a sound in your head that drives you to seek the sound of the "vintage" horn and mouthpiece combo.

Allow me to rant again, as post 1,000 on this thread looms large:

Horns went in-line and got stuffy.
Horns went double valved and got heavy and un-responsive.
The repertoire moved away from the large tenor range.

It was just plain easier to BUY a larger mouthpiece. And, the one good thing that has come from all of this---

BOUTIQUE MAKERS NOW OFFER MOUTHPIECES MADE ON A LARGER BLANK SO THAT THE RIM IS CLOSER IN WIDTH TO A 3G OR 1 1/2G WIDTH.

Now you can play a 1 1/2G width rim on a 1G cup or 1 1/4G cup.

I am sure that has contributed to the demise of the 1 1/2G. No more "cookie cutter" rims on large mouthpieces. You don't have to put up with the poor engineering and compromise of the cookie cutter 1G.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Feb 22, 2009, 08:07AMYou're in your right mind to play a Bach 1 1/2G if you are fortunate enough to satisfy the following conditions:

1. You have access to a great horn that responds best to a now "vintage" sized mouthpiece.

2. You have the luxury to have the time to warm-up properly and face reams of ridulous pedal tones, and literature that is aimed at being tuba etudes.

3. You have tried bigger and found it is "not for you".

4. You have a sound in your head that drives you to seek the sound of the "vintage" horn and mouthpiece combo.

Allow me to rant again, as post 1,000 on this thread looms large:

Horns went in-line and got stuffy.
Horns went double valved and got heavy and un-responsive.
The repertoire moved away from the large tenor range.

It was just plain easier to BUY a larger mouthpiece. And, the one good thing that has come from all of this---

BOUTIQUE MAKERS NOW OFFER MOUTHPIECES MADE ON A LARGER BLANK SO THAT THE RIM IS CLOSER IN WIDTH TO A 3G OR 1 1/2G WIDTH.

Now you can play a 1 1/2G width rim on a 1G cup or 1 1/4G cup.

I am sure that has contributed to the demise of the 1 1/2G. No more "cookie cutter" rims on large mouthpieces. You don't have to put up with the poor engineering and compromise of the cookie cutter 1G.

I can't let all of those comments go unchallenged.....

Modern trombones often work very well with the smaller mouthpieces... Dave Stewart in London on an Edwards with a Schilke 58. Alestair Sinclair in the RSNO on a Shires with a Bach 2G..... and the guy who did all the development work on the Rath bass, Ian Davies... did it with a 2G.

Not everybody has to spend an age warming up on a small mouthpiece to get pedals to work.

Not everybody plays in musical settings that require larger equipment... and that includes professional symphony orchestras. Some people think they need larger equipment, but this is often more about peer pressure than musical need.

Bigger mouthpieces are just a different bag of strengths and weaknesses.... so you can choose which elements of playing you want to work at.... the big mouthpiece or the small mouthpiece challenges.

You are dead right about the developments in big mouthpiece design though.... some are now light years ahead of the old Schilke 60 and Bach 1G models (though some folk still get great results with those)

A thousand posts..... who would have thought there were so many literate bass trombonists ?? Image

Chris Stearn
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

All valid points... a further clarifiction of my thought process.

1 bass trombonist in 1,000 has the LUXURY of being a professional musician.

Far fewer have the LUXURY of being a professional TROMBONIST.

The professional trombonist, of which you give examples playing smaller 1 1/2G size mouthpieces as their daily equipment as a professional, have the LUXURY of being warmed-up properly and constantly-- 24 hours a day-- as a result of their work...playing AND teaching.

The 999 players out of 1,000 are weekend-warriors, university students, amateurs and the curious. I won't even go close to discussing how many of the students, in conservatories and schools presently, have a realistic chance at becoming one of the FEW professionals.

Sooooooooooooo.......

999 players use the short-cut to a bigger MORE accurate result in the pedal register. They go BIGGER. They drop their $$$ on bigger equipment. "Easier to get an acceptable result on" equipment.

And of the three examples you gave ,of professionals using smaller mouthpieces, their horns listed were Edwards, Shires and Rath. Those horns are not run-of-the-mill horns you're going to find in the hands of amateurs or the curious. They are BOUTIQUE horns. No doubt carefully selected and designed for the demands and quirks of the PROFESSIONALS who love them.

The kids in my world will be playing Yamaha or Jupiter.

The thread is THE BACH 1 1/2G. I can't see anyone getting the 100% result out of those horns in common distribution with a 1 1/2G.

BUT.... I can see the players you used as examples getting incredible results out of a length of garden hose and ANY mouthpiece they are sticking into the hose.

ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

My experience (in my luxurious existence as a full time player Image) has actually been the opposite to Bonesmarch. The students and "week-end warriors" who I've heard on 1G/60 size stuff have all sounded to me as if they were swimming in their equipment. The lows may or may not have been produced easier on these pieces but I disagree whether or not the results for them were acceptable. In a few of these cases I was able to convince some of these people to give the 1.5G a try. Nearly all remarked on how much easier it was to play and how they didn't need to do a lot of "warming up" to get things going.

Most of the people who play "the big stuff" and do well on it are the people who can do a lot of work on the instrument, have solid fundamentals and are in great shape. There are also players who meet the above criteria who play smaller stuff and sound great too.

However, I think younger players and players who don't have the "luxury" of playing a lot on a regular basis would find the 1.5G size stuff easier to work with. Do tenor players who can't "put in the time" gravitate toward the 3Gs or Alessi 1s? I don't think so.

Just my observations....
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

BassBone FL.....that is EXACTLY my point.

To the 999/1000 players the SOUND is the least of their concerns or their motivation. They are aiming at just producing the pitches required with a reasonable accuracy and an acceptable margin of error.

And lets be honest here..if you're playing in a "community" organization or ensemble with a pile of ex-high school clarinet players who do not practice......do YOU need to be sounding like Ed Kleinhammer on a good day in 1955 playing for Fritz Reiner on a Bach 1 1/2G with a Conn 70H???

No.

You need to try and hit 100% of the notes with an "acceptable" sound.

And to be honest, if you haven't put in the 10,000 hours playing the Alan Raph low register extension exercises, and Remingtons 8 vb and then 15 vb ( which I dutifully did from ages 18-25 several hours a day on a 1 1/2G), then you're not likely to miss the clarity of attack and tone in your own sound with a mouthpiece which is too large for you.

Oh...God..... the money I spent trying to find a good 1 1/2G.....

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Feb 22, 2009, 11:54AMBassBone FL.....that is EXACTLY my point.

To the 999/1000 players the SOUND is the least of their concerns or their motivation. They are aiming at just producing the pitches required with a reasonable accuracy and an acceptable margin of error.

What I hear BassBone Fl saying is that many of those that you describe would actually have more success at achieving their goals if they found an appropriate sized (smaller) piece for their playing. Just Like BBF, I have sat next to good players on both large and small mpcs. I do not play in many bands, but it is true that in those groups, actually all groups, there are many different motivations for being there.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Feb 22, 2009, 09:53AMThey drop their $$$ on bigger equipment.
Funny... I don't recall those Kanstul 1662's, vintage Bach 1.5G's, and Rath 1.5G's being that cheap. Image

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Feb 22, 2009, 11:54AMOh...God..... the money I spent trying to find a good 1 1/2G..... Image  Image
ttf_Daniel Harris

Post by ttf_Daniel Harris »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Feb 22, 2009, 08:07AMAllow me to rant again,[...]
 No more "cookie cutter" rims on large mouthpieces. You don't have to put up with the poor engineering and compromise of the cookie cutter 1G.

One good rant deserves another, I hope. I get thoroughly annoyed by this talk of the "cookie cutter 1G." Sure, it is a narrow rim, but it has just about the mildest, gentlest bite out there. If someone finds that rim to be a cookie cutter, that person may simply not have an appropriate facial structure to play on it, which, of course, is fine. Frankly, I can't help wondering if some of these folks simply don't understand how to play on it. That too is fine - there are plenty of mouthpieces I don't understand how to play on either. But it is absurd, IMHO, to turn one's own playing issues, however legitimate, into someone else's poor engineering. The proof of the matter, it seems to me, is the number of mouthpieces that have come out since the arrival of the 1G that also have thin rims. The Yamaha Doug Yeo, Marcikiewicz No. 1, and Greg Black 1.25G are some examples. The Griego 1's rim is only slightly, if any, wider than the 1G. My acquaintance with the Laskey mouthpieces is very fleeting, but my impression is that at least some of them also have thin rims. All of this suggests that the thin rim, even if it did arise originally out of an unwillingness to develop a new blank size, can still be a legitimate design decision.

Dan Harris
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Quote from: Daniel Harris on Feb 22, 2009, 10:13PMOne good rant deserves another, I hope. I get thoroughly annoyed by this talk of the "cookie cutter 1G." Sure, it is a narrow rim, but it has just about the mildest, gentlest bite out there. If someone finds that rim to be a cookie cutter, that person may simply not have an appropriate facial structure to play on it, which, of course, is fine. Frankly, I can't help wondering if some of these folks simply don't understand how to play on it. That too is fine - there are plenty of mouthpieces I don't understand how to play on either. But it is absurd, IMHO, to turn one's own playing issues, however legitimate, into someone else's poor engineering. The proof of the matter, it seems to me, is the number of mouthpieces that have come out since the arrival of the 1G that also have thin rims. The Yamaha Doug Yeo, Marcikiewicz No. 1, and Greg Black 1.25G are some examples. The Griego 1's rim is only slightly, if any, wider than the 1G. My acquaintance with the Laskey mouthpieces is very fleeting, but my impression is that at least some of them also have thin rims. All of this suggests that the thin rim, even if it did arise originally out of an unwillingness to develop a new blank size, can still be a legitimate design decision.

Dan Harris

I prefer a thinner rim. I feel like I have more flexibility and accuracy. I have never had an endurance issue with thin rims either.
ttf_Birdy

Post by ttf_Birdy »

Quote from: blast on Feb 21, 2009, 08:48AMPlease remember that I started this topic up to offer a case for the good ol 1 1/2G still being a viable choice... A CHOICE... not THE choice, and not a better solution than larger mouthpieces... just another option that works for some as well as it worked 30 or 50 years ago. There is room for everybody and all tonal concepts.... no right and wrong... just opinions in a subjective art form.
Chris Stearn.

and I for one are glad you asked the question. I wrongly assumed that the sound I was after would be achieved by the bigger pieces and gradually bought bigger and bigger mouthpieces searching for it thinking that the 1.5 size was a starter piece not to be taken that seriously.

How wrong could I be? Or is it that the reality is that I'm still in starter territory with my overall technique?......
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

There's always the other option from the thread title - perhaps you're not in your right mind?
ttf_Birdy

Post by ttf_Birdy »

Quote from: MoominDave on Feb 23, 2009, 10:48AMThere's always the other option from the thread title - perhaps you're not in your right mind?

Ah no, I'm definately in my right mind.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and I'm left handed, I'm definately in my right mind........ Image

What the chuff that has to do with mouthpiece choice I don't know........
ttf_grub

Post by ttf_grub »

Quote from: Daniel Harris on Feb 22, 2009, 10:13PMOne good rant deserves another, I hope. I get thoroughly annoyed by this talk of the "cookie cutter 1G." Sure, it is a narrow rim, but it has just about the mildest, gentlest bite out there. If someone finds that rim to be a cookie cutter, that person may simply not have an appropriate facial structure to play on it, which, of course, is fine. Frankly, I can't help wondering if some of these folks simply don't understand how to play on it. That too is fine - there are plenty of mouthpieces I don't understand how to play on either. But it is absurd, IMHO, to turn one's own playing issues, however legitimate, into someone else's poor engineering. The proof of the matter, it seems to me, is the number of mouthpieces that have come out since the arrival of the 1G that also have thin rims. The Yamaha Doug Yeo, Marcikiewicz No. 1, and Greg Black 1.25G are some examples. The Griego 1's rim is only slightly, if any, wider than the 1G. My acquaintance with the Laskey mouthpieces is very fleeting, but my impression is that at least some of them also have thin rims. All of this suggests that the thin rim, even if it did arise originally out of an unwillingness to develop a new blank size, can still be a legitimate design decision.

Dan Harris

All of the thin rims you mention have different shapes as well as widths.  The rim of the Yeo is thin to be sure, but is curved in such a way as to make the most out of what little width there is, same for the Laskeys and the GB.125.  That gentile bite of the 1G is precisely what turns it into the dreaded cookie cutter.  I'd call the Yeo, Laskeys (93, 95), and GB 1.25 more successful designs because of how they manage the rim, and cup shape, and throat, and backbore to create balanced designs.  I feel that the 1G has few redeeming qualities, perhaps a good balance between the throat and cup shape, but there are clearly superior pieces out there. 

That being said, there are still many players who make great sounds on the ol' Bach 1.  My personal opinion is that could get the same results with less work by looking elsewhere.
-->grub
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Quote from: grub on Feb 25, 2009, 08:54AM
That being said, there are still many players who make great sounds on the ol' Bach 1.  My personal opinion is that could get the same results with less work by looking elsewhere.
-->grub

That assumes those making the great sounds did not try other pieces. Everyone has different priorities and needs, hence so many differing opinions on what can be considered a good mouthpiece. If a player finds great results playing on a particular piece, it seems silly to say to that player that it is inferior. Every piece ever made has probably been sold by somebody because it did not work to somebody else for whom it does.
ttf_johngsteel

Post by ttf_johngsteel »

But is it not the desired sound the result of the chops, the horn (bell, leadpipe, slide, valves, etc), and the mouthpiece?

Not all chops like the same mouthpiece design.
Not all horns like the same mouthpiece.

I will always use my 1-1/2g in a vintage horn (Duo Gravis, Olds 24g, Conn, etc).  I was never able to make a Shulkie 58, 59, or 60 work in my old King or Olds.  The 1-1/4 was great in the pedals, but sucked at the top of the staff, and worse above the staff.

It's the chops, the horn, and the mouthpiece working together.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

One of my students came in today with a mouthpiece that he had been given to try... a fairly new design from a reputable maker. I tried it and thought it was pretty dreadful. I offered him the chance to try my Minick... but I said that once he had tried it, there was no going back... and it was not for sale. He tried it.... and regretted the decision  Image but at least he now knows what an exceptional mouthpiece is like  Image Image. Perhaps I should get it copied.

Chris Stearn.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Quote from: blast on Feb 25, 2009, 02:58PMOne of my students came in today with a mouthpiece that he had been given to try... a fairly new design from a reputable maker. I tried it and thought it was pretty dreadful. I offered him the chance to try my Minick... but I said that once he had tried it, there was no going back... and it was not for sale. He tried it.... and regretted the decision  Image but at least he now knows what an exceptional mouthpiece is like  Image Image. Perhaps I should get it copied.

Chris Stearn.

You are a cruel and wicked man, Chris Stearn. OF course, that's part of your charm... Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I will get a MT Vernon 1 1/2g from a friend here in the forum. I think I will have it next Thursday. What will it turn me into? A super trombone player or a cruel and wicked man?  Image Image Image He,he...I'm both from before  Image  Image

Time will show.... Image Image Image

I'm like a kid now, waiting. Will there be a miracle in my playing. Well I don't think so. What I'm wondering about is the sound and feel. For technique, musicality I think it will be the same as before. I will give a report.

Leif
ttf_Daniel Harris

Quote from: grub on Feb 25, 2009, 08:54AMAll of the thin rims you mention have different shapes as well as widths.  The rim of the Yeo is thin to be sure, but is curved in such a way as to make the most out of what little width there is, same for the Laskeys and the GB.125.  That gentile bite of the 1G is precisely what turns it into the dreaded cookie cutter.  I'd call the Yeo, Laskeys (93, 95), and GB 1.25 more successful designs because of how they manage the rim, and cup shape, and throat, and backbore to create balanced designs.  I feel that the 1G has few redeeming qualities, perhaps a good balance between the throat and cup shape, but there are clearly superior pieces out there. 

Quote from: johngsteel on Feb 25, 2009, 11:59AMBut is it not the desired sound the result of the chops, the horn (bell, leadpipe, slide, valves, etc), and the mouthpiece?

Not all chops like the same mouthpiece design.
Not all horns like the same mouthpiece.

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Feb 25, 2009, 11:51AMThat assumes those making the great sounds did not try other pieces. Everyone has different priorities and needs, hence so many differing opinions on what can be considered a good mouthpiece. If a player finds great results playing on a particular piece, it seems silly to say to that player that it is inferior.
As johngsteel suggests, different people may experience the same mouthpiece differently, and as GetzenBassPlayer suggests, that is not a reason to trash a mouthpiece.

I have played some version of a Bach 1G for roughly 20 years now. I have tried other pieces along the way and, in the end, found them wanting. That isn't to say they were poorly designed; rather, they simply struck a balance that was not the best balance for me, the instruments I play, and the venues where I do most of my work.

If, at any point during that time, I had found the 1G to be a "cookie cutter," it would have been long gone. Obviously, other people have experienced the 1G differently. In my own case, I believe the 1G rim has worked for me because its dimensions and shape put the points of maximum pressure on my face pretty much on a vertical axis above and below the lips, rather than more to the sides and on the lips. In this sense, I play rather more "in" the 1G than on it. I don't think I necesarily consciously approached the 1G in that manner at the outset, but at some point I realized that is what I do. Some time back, I believe it was Gabe Langfur and/or Chris Stearn who suggested that players on large diameter mouthpieces use more of a trumpet type of embouchure than those on smaller pieces. I have never particularly thought I was doing that, but perhaps there is a connection. In any event, the way I play and my jaw and facial structure combine to make the 1G rim the most comfortable and least fatiguing rim I have tried.

In a way, I do understand Grub's point about rim curvature. Ironically, however, the rims I have found the most fatiguing, and even downright dangerous, are wide rims that combine a very rounded contour with a very sharp bite. I imagine the theory behind such rims would be to combine flexibility with clarity of attack. The problem, at least for me, is that I tend to want to feel contact with the full rim, which, because of the rim curvature, leads to a lot of pressure, and the sharp bite does the rest...

I would like to bring all of this more back on topic, however. As several posters have noted recently, the title of this thread is "Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G??" Perhaps I am reading too much into Chris's choice of words here, but I think it is significant that the title is not "Who...plays a Bach 1 1/2G, or a Laskey 85MD, or a Hammond 19BL, or a Wick 2AL, or a Schilke 58, etc. etc. etc?" As the thread has progressed, the discussion has often treated the Bach 1 1/2G as emblematic of all similarly sized mouthpieces, and indeed, Chris himself has spoken very favorably of some of them. Nevertheless, I would argue that there is much more to the Bach 1 1/2G than just its size. All the various facets of its design combine to produce a particular character of sound and particular challenges for the player.

I would contend (yet again) that among the larger mouthpieces I am familiar with, the Bach 1G shares more essential "Bachiness" with the Bach 1 1/2G than any of the others. Therefore, I would further contend that, if the Bach 1G is a poor design that has been superceded by more recent developments, so too is the Bach 1 1/2G, and indeed, all the other Bach mouthpieces.

And yet, so far at least, we do not hear people asking, "Who in their right mind plays a Bach 5G or a Bach 11C?", even though many of the newer makers certainly include those sizes in their offerings and at least some of them, presumably, employ the same design principles throughout their line.

I think this thread represents a particular case study of the larger question of what it means for equipment to sound dated. Sam Burtis had some interesting observations on this point not too long ago:

Sabutin, 12/28/08:
Quotethings change, and sometimes they change for the better. With modular equipment and a fine designer, older designs can be improved upon. Over the course of a several years of experimentation with Shires horns...and I have watched people like Jim Pugh and Dave Taylor go through much the same process with Edwards instruments, along with a bunch of other makers like Mick Rath who have enabled players to do much the same thing..., I have developed a .525 bore trigger horn and a .500 bore tenor that surpass...for me...the classic Elkhart 78H/79H and 6H models after which I modeled them. In fact, both of them are a little more Bach-like in some respects than the Conns. Why? I also played some fine Mt. Vernon/NY Bachs for some time...a 36/36B and a converted single bore 16, plus a great Williams 6 and a number of '30s Conn TIS horns as well. What I learned from all of those horns went into the assembling of what I am playing now, and as a result the horns that were their original models now play and feel rather dated to me.

Sabutin, 12/27/08:
Quote In all of the m'pce changes...in fact in all of the equipment changes overall...that I have ever made,. this principle of better playing equals better sound has held true in about 99.5% of the cases.
Now, I have had some experiences that are very much in line with what Sam is saying; I recall particularly one vintage instrument I tried that had a very appealing sound, but nevertheless had a certain coarseness and inconsistency about it that made it seem dated relative to a more refined and consistent instrument. So, I don't dispute that datedness can be a matter of technical inferiority, but I wonder if that is all it is. Moreover, I think the question is much more difficult with mouthpieces than horns. The fact that some of Sam's own mouthpiece choices (if memory serves) are vintage New York or Mount Vernon Bachs speaks to this. Chris's recent stainless steel experiment also suggests that, when it comes to mouthpieces, maybe the circle is not squared so easily after all. And that may be one reason this thread has continued as it has.

Dan Harris
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Quote from: Daniel Harris on Feb 26, 2009, 01:21AM"Who...plays a Bach 1 1/2G, or a Laskey 85MD, or a Hammond 19BL, or a Wick 2AL, or a Schilke 58, etc. etc. etc?"
Minor and not very relevant nitpick - the 85MD is way bigger than the other mentioned pieces. Although it's extremely efficient for its size, my specimen has a larger ID than my Schilke 60. The efficiency makes it feel more like something a bit smaller - but not nearly as much smaller as a Bach 1-1/2G is.
ttf_Slidennis

Post by ttf_Slidennis »

Not two 1.5G are created equal...

I like the Wick 2NAL best with my Conn 71H (been over 6 months I stick with it...)

But yesterday I had the opportunity to play a Courtois Prestige (10" yellow bell, 2 inline tgs) : nicest tone and playability with the Rath 1.5 B... 

The Bach 1.5G is def. too stuffy, I need a larger throat...

Now, I just wish the Courtois was lighter and with better ergonomics, my 4th finger of the left hand is still numb and my left wrist painful : what did those frenchies thought about when building this horn???
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

I'm still happy with the Rath B11/2W purchased about 4-5 years ago, played with a Getzen 1062FD. I'm even more happy now that the plating has wore off and I could get a fine gold plating from Boyle's-Snyder in L.A.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Quote from: Slidennis on Feb 26, 2009, 04:28AM
Now, I just wish the Courtois was lighter and with better ergonomics, my 4th finger of the left hand is still numb and my left wrist painful : what did those frenchies thought about when building this horn???

I have been playing a single bass lately. I picked up my dual thayer horn to play on it today and it felt like it weighed a ton. 
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Chris Stearn.
[/quote]
 Perhaps I should get it copied.

If you have the Minick copied perhaps I could start the waiting list???
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Feb 26, 2009, 10:18AMI have been playing a single bass lately. I picked up my dual thayer horn to play on it today and it felt like it weighed a ton. 

I've been playing tenor almost exclusively, so when I got my bass out for Wind Ensemble I thought something was wrong with  me. I know the feeling!
ttf_Daniel Harris

Quote from: MoominDave on Feb 26, 2009, 02:05AMMinor and not very relevant nitpick - the 85MD is way bigger than the other mentioned pieces. Although it's extremely efficient for its size, my specimen has a larger ID than my Schilke 60. The efficiency makes it feel more like something a bit smaller - but not nearly as much smaller as a Bach 1-1/2G is.

Thanks Dave,

Point taken.

Dan Harris
ttf_BlueTrombonist

Post by ttf_BlueTrombonist »

I've been playing on a Yamaha Yeo mouthpiece.
Fantastic mouthpiece for some.
But it wasn't doing something for me.

That crisp sound, the George Roberts, Edward Kleinhammer sound.

I was getting a big sound, but more than I bargained for, a foof also.

So I went back to my old Bach 1/2GM, that crispness is back.
So I have to struggle if I go to a double pedal D...
But it speaks much more articulate.

rarather tefyhan fjlplaying jawkllike njthis.
I Can Speak Like This.

I am a born again 1 1/2G(M) Player.

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Quote from: BlueTrombonist on Mar 01, 2009, 01:29PM
So I went back to my old Bach 1/2GM, that crispness is back.
So I have to struggle if I go to a double pedal D...
But it speaks much more articulate.

I suspect, that if one was to put some time into double pedals on a smaller piece that the struggle would go away. I have known some tenor players with pretty impressive double pedals. I have known some bass players, on large equipment, with not so impressive double pedals. The difference, after speaking with these individuals, seems to be spending some time in that range consistently. The tenor players did long tones and slurs in the pedal range for a few minutes. The bass players rarely played lower than pedal Bb.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Mar 01, 2009, 04:17PMI suspect, that if one was to put some time into double pedals on a smaller piece that the struggle would go away. I have known some tenor players with pretty impressive double pedals. I have known some bass players, on large equipment, with not so impressive double pedals. The difference, after speaking with these individuals, seems to be spending some time in that range consistently. The tenor players did long tones and slurs in the pedal range for a few minutes. The bass players rarely played lower than pedal Bb.
Double pedal D:s don’t come easy for anyone, luckily they are not needed in music performances. Image
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Quote from: svenlarsson on Mar 02, 2009, 01:48PMDouble pedal D:s don’t come easy for anyone, luckily they are not needed in music performances. Image

They do come easier however, with consistent practice. No matter what mouthpiece a person chooses, it is important to have a game plan for working through ones difficulties, whatever they may be. I think there would be less dissatisfaction with equipment if this would occur.
ttf_BlueTrombonist

Post by ttf_BlueTrombonist »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Mar 02, 2009, 01:48PMDouble pedal D:s don’t come easy for anyone, luckily they are not needed in music performances. Image

What about if your playing the eighth part in the Trombone Quartet arrangement of Faure Libera Me?  Image
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Double pedal D ?? Two octaves below valve D ?? That's just stupid... and NEVER seen... AND off topic  Image
Let's get back to the subject.
Chris Stearn
ttf_Slidennis

Post by ttf_Slidennis »

Quote from: blast on Mar 03, 2009, 12:20AMDouble pedal D ?? Two octaves below valve D ?? That's just stupid... and NEVER seen... AND off topic  Image
Let's get back to the subject.
Chris Stearn
The US bonists are calling DOUBLE pedals what Europeans call pedals... 
Trigger Eb  Image b Image doesn't mean pedal Eb for us, it's not the fundamental harmonic of that lenght of tubing, the 8va bassa Image b Image is the pedal Eb IMO...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just to revisit-everything can be played on a 1&1/2 size mouthpiece,regardless of the Musical Genre.   There is an old joke about two Steers(one older and one younger) standing on a Hill over-looking a Pasture full of Cows....
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

I now understand what you mean by double pedals... basically the same as single pedals. Image In over 30 years of professional playing, I have had to play a pedal C less than half-a-dozen times and the double pedal Bb below it (a real double pedal) only twice.... and the 1 1/2G size has worked out fine on all occasions (to bring this back on track).
Chris Stearn
ttf_Slidennis

Post by ttf_Slidennis »

Chris, I'm enjoying my Rath B 1 1/2 more and more those days, even with my 71H...

Less forgiving and harder to play than my Wick 2NAL, but so nice a sound... (The brass band conductore likes it better too...)

Could you tell us more about the difference in sound (+ emission, resistance, etc...) between both Rath 1.5 models?
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I cant tell the difference but the regular Rath 1 1/2g is not unlike a Bach mouthpiece. Copy of a MT Vernon I think? But both models maybe are. The rim is the difference but how it affects sound and feel I don't know. Sorry not much help for you. 

I'm using my 72h more and more Dennis. It feels more difficult to play but when I record myself it sounds better? Strange because it don't feels like that. So I'm using it almost all the time. Like it better and better. There are some more possibilities in this horn is what I feel.

Speaking about MT Vernon, I will get mine tomorrow. I will blow it all the day (and night)  Image Image Image (I feel sorry for my neighbours)

Leif
ttf_slidejj

Post by ttf_slidejj »

I think both Rath 1-1/2 models are improvements over the Bach 1.5G pieces that I've played (small sample).  I notice more difference in the feel of the rim than the sound but that's not to say they are narrow and wide rim versions of the same piece.  The narrow rim version seems to have what I'd call a classic 1-1/2G sound while the wide rim version has a little warmer sound with perhaps a little more complexity to the overtones, at least a different mix and one that I really like.  Both project better and have less resistance than the Bach's I've played.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

The Rath B1 1/2 and B1 1/2W are based on two different mouthpieces. The B1 1/2 is based on a Bach 1 1/2G... I think an Elkhart example. The B1 1/2W is copied from my wide rim Mt Vernon 1 1/2G. Both Raths have a shorter overall length than a Bach and a different backbore to a Bach... this, together with the increase in outer mass makes the Raths blow easier in the low register than the Bach and makes them feel more 'slotted'. On the down side, I think the Raths sound a little less interesting than a good old Bach, but trade-offs are what mouthpieces are all about.
I never expected to find a mouthpiece that worked easier but still sounded as good as an old Bach, but my present mouthpiece, a Minick, seems to pull the trick off.... how Larry did it is still up for study... but I am a bit wiser after looking at it and comparing it with my Bachs. Some areas of a mouthpiece are more important than others... and all interact with each other to create the whole. Simple stuff then  Image

Chris Stearn
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: blast on Mar 05, 2009, 09:33AMThe Rath B1 1/2 and B1 1/2W are based on two different mouthpieces. The B1 1/2 is based on a Bach 1 1/2G... I think an Elkhart example. The B1 1/2W is copied from my wide rim Mt Vernon 1 1/2G. Both Raths have a shorter overall length than a Bach and a different backbore to a Bach... this, together with the increase in outer mass makes the Raths blow easier in the low register than the Bach and makes them feel more 'slotted'. On the down side, I think the Raths sound a little less interesting than a good old Bach, but trade-offs are what mouthpieces are all about.
I never expected to find a mouthpiece that worked easier but still sounded as good as an old Bach, but my present mouthpiece, a Minick, seems to pull the trick off.... how Larry did it is still up for study... but I am a bit wiser after looking at it and comparing it with my Bachs. Some areas of a mouthpiece are more important than others... and all interact with each other to create the whole. Simple stuff then  Image

Chris Stearn

Funny thing...I never expected to find a m'pce that rivaled both the NY/Mt. Vernon 11Cs that I have played on small bore horns for many years in terms of relative ease of high register, flexibility, overall connection and sound and the NY/Mt. Vernon 12Cs that I have always wanted to be able to play if only they worked better in the general  Image Image to  Image range (worked better without my  to make a fairly interesting shift) but my unnamed Minick...11C-ish in many respects in terms of measurement...is doing the trick for me. I am on my third month and pretty much thoroughly convinced now.

Larry Minick...some kind of designer!!!

S.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: blast on Mar 05, 2009, 09:33AM Some areas of a mouthpiece are more important than others... and all interact with each other to create the whole. Simple stuff then  Image

Chris Stearn

Quote from: sabutin on Mar 05, 2009, 10:07AMLarry Minick...some kind of designer!!!

S.

Design........as I understand you people, its difficult to understand what makes a mouthpiece good. And maybe just a few persons in the hole world did understand it. I do believe it and have to say I don't understand anything about it. Its like a car. It can look very nice but could be just some crap. What areas are most important Chris?  I believe its the backbore but that is maybe wrong.  If its wrong, it is the part that touch the lips. But then I have almost guessed the hole mouthpiece..... Image

Do the makers today copy the good design in MT Vernon, then they change it so its easier to play, they make it easier for the common man/woman  to play. But some of the sound quality and some of the possibilities in the mouthpiece is lost? I begin to believe so.  I'm waiting for my MT Vernon but don't expect it to be easier. But I expect to have more possibilities to make it sound the way I want in different settings. If I really learn it and practice it with care. Or it could be that I'm not the man to handle it.  Image    Who knows.  Its like my Toyota and a Formel V car. My Toyota is easy and safe but it cant drive fast. A Formel V car can do it but is very difficult to drive.  But if you can handle it? thats the question. 

Enough rambling.......What is the most important part Chris??

Leif

Leif

ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Great question Savio.  Even if it IS on topic (which I seriously doubt) wouldn't it be better to have a whole thread on that one question?  Definitely not a "1 1/2G-only" consideration!

What do you think? 
ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Not at all sure if Chris will give You an answer to that , Leif !  Image  ... My guess is that "the black art" of mouthpiece making has something to do with the relationship between the inner rim edge and the angle where the cup enters the throat... Any changes however minute is bound to have big consequences as to how a mouthpiece let You "hit the sweet spot of resonance"... I have this PHD V2BC mouthpiece made by John Pettinato which by inspecting the looks of it would go directly into the dustbin , but has a direct response which defy its small size and very odd backbore... The rim has a very sharp inner edge which "fixate" Your lip to hit the sharp angeled entrance into the small throat.... Its almost like feeling that You blow directly into the horn with no loss of energy through the mouthpiece.. OK !...Its late now and i am heading to bed so i may be diluding here but I will stick to this opinion ... at least until tomorrow morning !  Image

Trond(tbarh)

Return to “Mouthpieces”