A brief retrospective

ttf_wkimball

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_wkimball »

This morning I compiled this brief retrospective showing some of the historical trombone activities from one, two, three, four, and five centuries ago. It provides a somewhat unusual perspective. Enjoy!

http://kimballtrombone.com/2017/03/06/trombone-century-ago-two-centuries-ago-five-centuries-ago/
ttf_robcat2075

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Are those two extra loops on the trombone tuning crooks or just unfortunate accidents?

ttf_BGuttman

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Double loops like that were used on bass trombones to eliminate extremely long lengths of tubing over the shoulder.  The Praetorius picture of the different sizes of trombone shows a trombone with similar loops.

ttf_robcat2075

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

What does the thin rod, that seems to extend from about the grip to the far end of the extra loops, do?
ttf_wkimball

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_wkimball »

Honestly, I don't know. I've wondered the same thing myself. Here's another image that includes a rod like that--this one on a horn without the extra loops (tortils).
1663—Augsburg, Germany: Franz Friedrich Franck (1627-1687), Musikstilleben (Music Still Life)

http://kimballtrombone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/FFF-still-life1.jpg
ttf_matto

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_matto »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 06, 2017, 10:14AMWhat does the thin rod, that seems to extend from about the grip to the far end of the extra loops, do?

It's the sackbut version of a harmonic pillar...  Image
ttf_Stewbones43

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 06, 2017, 10:14AMWhat does the thin rod, that seems to extend from about the grip to the far end of the extra loops, do?

Could they be to extend a slide in one of the loops to increase the range of the trombone-the earliest use of an "E" pull!

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_ronnies

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_ronnies »

When I was at school (this was the 1970s) we had a G bass trombone in the cupboard.  It had a looped crook like those that could be put between the slide and the bell to put it into F. 

I tried to play it one day when I'd forgotten my own trombone but had great difficulty getting it in tune.  It seemed to be in Ab or Gb.  Was probably a high pitch instrument which of course I knew nothing about at the time. Image

Ronnie
ttf_ronnies

A brief retrospective

Post by ttf_ronnies »

When I was at school (this was the 1970s) we had a G bass trombone in the cupboard.  It had a looped crook like those that could be put between the slide and the bell to put it into F. 

I tried to play it one day when I'd forgotten my own trombone but had great difficulty getting it in tune.  It seemed to be in Ab or Gb.  Was probably a high pitch instrument which of course I knew nothing about at the time. Image

Ronnie

Return to “History of the Trombone”