How the heck do you improvise over Dolphin Dance??

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just finished the specific section of my upcoming book on trombone improvisation that covers Dolphin Dance. It's a beautiful tune that doesn't get played more often, I think, because it presents challenges like weaving in and out of tough keys and through modal sections.

I thought I'd provide an excerpt of the book containing the Dolphin Dance section in case you want to have a bit of fun learning how to better play over the changes.

Part one of the book covers ear training, melodic construction, rhythmic fluency, a bit of theory, and (did I mention ear training?)

Part two will put the theory into practice by exploring around 15 songs of various difficulties (assuming I can get all the copyrights I am now negotiating) and for each will include:
  • [li]A lead sheet with a recording of me on trombone playing the melody over rhythm[/li][li]Background and some light harmonic theory on the song and form[/li][li]Exercises for the more difficult parts of the tune[/li][li]A recording and transcription of one or more solos I've recorded at different levels of difficulty[/li][li]A transcription of a known player's solo - not always trombone, but transcribed into bass clef (Chet Baker's on Dolphin Dance)[/li]
The excerpt of the Dolphin Dance section can be downloaded from here: http://www.altobone.com/improvise-dolphin-dance/

I'd love to get your feedback in terms of how it helps you (or not) play better over this great tune.

Best of luck!!
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

You're right, Michael.  Great tune, crazy changes.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

One of my favourite versions of this tune is a Peter Herbolzheimer big band chart which is a trombone feature. You can hear Marc Godfroid play it on the Colors of a Band album.

https://youtu.be/PeNIYzcujHg?t=24m44s is the same band/arr but with Jürgen Neudert playing the solo.

Not specifically relevant to the OP i know, but i thought may be of interest as it may not be so well known.

Cheers

ttf_jazzaltobone

Post by ttf_jazzaltobone »

Thanks for that. Terrific player. I'd say that for a big band, 150,000 views is pretty good. ("...not so well known.")
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

My favourite version is by Chet Baker and you have that covered. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

My favourite version is by Chet Baker and you have that covered. Image

Return to “Practice Room”