Mouthpiece

ttf_anonymous

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello Trombone World,

I am trying to decide between two mouthpieces, but don't know how to decide. One I really like the sound, but it feels like there is a lot of back pressure so playing quicker is more difficult (Bach 5g). The second mouthpiece I don't like the sound as much, but it plays so freely that everything seems so easy (Bach 4g). Should I pick sound over ease or ease over sound?

Thanks Everybody!
Alex
ttf_tbathras

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Pick which one you're more willing to work on bringing into balance.  Would you rather work more on your sound or more on your articulations? Have you tried each piece in a real world scenario (i.e. played each one for a full length rehearsal)?

Only you can really answer that.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Personally I would just go with whichever makes you sound better... Ive read a lot of posts on here about finding a mouthpiece that "feels" good. I dont really understand that.... When it comes down to it, the most important thing is how you sound. If there is a mouthpiece that gives you a superior sound and doesn't hinder anything else in your playing, I would absolutely go with it without hesitation.
An audition panel, audience and even colleagues in your section do not care how you think a mouthpiece "feels". They just care if you sound good.
ttf_Radar

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Radar »

I personally always go with what sounds best I find that any mouthpiece I play on regularly for a couple of weeks I will adapt to and it will feel good.

ttf_TromboneMonkey

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Take them on a gig or rehearsal. Proof is in the pudding, as they say.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Quote from: Discoralph12 on Apr 20, 2017, 10:36AMHello Trombone World,

I am trying to decide between two mouthpieces, but don't know how to decide. One I really like the sound, but it feels like there is a lot of back pressure so playing quicker is more difficult (Bach 5g). The second mouthpiece I don't like the sound as much, but it plays so freely that everything seems so easy (Bach 4g). Should I pick sound over ease or ease over sound?

Thanks Everybody!
Alex

This is a very typical situation.  You need the 4G rim size but the 5G cup gives you the sound you want.

There are mouthpieces available (including mine) that give you a more favorable combination of rim and cup.

ttf_sabutin

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Apr 20, 2017, 03:53PMTake them on a gig or rehearsal. Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

What TM said.

Do blindfold tests. Put them both in your pocket and alternate them. (Don't peek if you can possibly help it.)

Use the one that makes you feel like playing.

S.
ttf_sabutin

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Apr 20, 2017, 05:42PMThis is a very typical situation.  You need the 4G rim size but the 5G cup gives you the sound you want.

There are mouthpieces available (including mine) that give you a more favorable combination of rim and cup.

What Doug said, too.

S.
ttf_sabutin

Mouthpiece

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Apr 20, 2017, 05:42PMThis is a very typical situation.  You need the 4G rim size but the 5G cup gives you the sound you want.

What Doug said, too.

S.

Return to “Practice Room”