ttf_Chris Fidler

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

MAGGIO.......  Image Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on May 15, 2012, 01:51AMMAGGIO.......  Image Image

I'm tempted to buy a copy of that book.  It's offered on Amazon right now for $28.  I always like to thumb through a book before I buy it, but of course that is impossible when buying online.  All the information available in the Amazon advertisement is that it is a book for brass players.  How is it formatted?  Are there multiple clefs used?  Is there a base clef written out for low brass, or will I have to transpose?

Thanks,
Charles
ttf_timothy42b

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

If you go here:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/

and scroll down to the dedicated forums, you'll find a list of different systems trumpet players talk about (including Reinhard, Caruso, etc.)

There isn't a Maggio forum but IIRC Claude Gordon was one of his students.

ttf_BGuttman

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Low range and high range:

Practicing low range will not automatically increase your upper range.  You can't practice endless pedal Bbs and expect to suddenly have a high C. 

That said, practicing low notes in conjunction with upper register practice will help both.  For a lot of the reasons stated above.

I often suggest that after you "poop out" working the upper register you follow it with a bunch of low note long tones (pedals if you got 'em) to relax the embouchure.

ttf_Practiceathome

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Practiceathome »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 15, 2012, 08:54AMLow range and high range:

Practicing low range will not automatically increase your upper range.  You can't practice endless pedal Bbs and expect to suddenly have a high C. 

That said, practicing low notes in conjunction with upper register practice will help both.  For a lot of the reasons stated above.

I often suggest that after you "poop out" working the upper register you follow it with a bunch of low note long tones (pedals if you got 'em) to relax the embouchure.

"Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson (Bruce Guttman?) for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age."

OK, seriously folks.  I think he summed it up nicely.  Practice your highs and lows.  Practice your lip slurs and long tones.  BTW that classic quote comes to us from Blazing Saddles.
ttf_Geezerhorn

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: timothy42b on May 15, 2012, 06:50AMIf you go here:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/

and scroll down to the dedicated forums, you'll find a list of different systems trumpet players talk about (including Reinhard, Caruso, etc.)

There isn't a Maggio forum but IIRC Claude Gordon was one of his students.

Thanks.  It wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, however.  I've decided not to buy the book.  It occurred to me that if I could play everything in all the other books I have expertly well, then I wouldn't need it or 1/2 of the other books I already own.   Image Image Image

-Charles
ttf_vegasbound

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Nit buying the book i a big mistake...Maggio (written is bass clef for bone) is used by many of the players you probably admire!  and it shows and get you to link your low range to your expanding upper register!

So buy a copy you will not regret it!
ttf_Chris Fidler

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 16, 2012, 04:42AMNit buying the book i a big mistake...Maggio (written is bass clef for bone) is used by many of the players you probably admire!  and it shows and get you to link your low range to your expanding upper register!

Yes I agree, I've used the Maggio for 25 years and it's helped me overcome lots of problems like teeth rebuild, Holiday chops, rebuild after illness etc  Image Image
ttf_timothy42b

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 16, 2012, 04:42AMNit buying the book i a big mistake...Maggio (written is bass clef for bone) is used by many of the players you probably admire!  and it shows and get you to link your low range to your expanding upper register!

There are books of exercises and there are systems.

I did Remington for years.  Did I do it the way he taught it?  Dunno, never had a teacher listen to me.

I did Caruso Six Notes for a couple years.  Ditto, except from my more recent reading I'm pretty sure I didn't do it quite the way intended.

I went to a Brad Edwards workshop.  The way he demonstrated was NOT the way I would have played his exercises.  The differences were subtle, to be sure, but the way he slurred and moved airflow was noticably different from the way the page looked to my brain.

I took a lesson from Doug Elliott.  Same thing.  How the exercises are really supposed to go is not always obvious unless I'm shown by somebody who really knows.  The page alone did not tell me how he wanted them played. 

I suspect the same would be true if I bought the Maggio book.  Can you really do Maggio exercises while thinking Stamp, or Caruso while thinking Remington?     
ttf_vegasbound

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Timothy 42B...if you ever make it across to the UK either Chris or I can fix you up a lesson with either Gordon Campbell or Mark nightingale....both have used maggio for a years!
ttf_Geezerhorn

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 16, 2012, 04:42AMNit buying the book i a big mistake...Maggio (written is bass clef for bone) is used by many of the players you probably admire! 
Thanks!  That is the answer I was hoping for. 

Timothy42B: Forgive me.  Perhaps I did not phrase my original question clearly.

Vegasbound: I don't mean to pound on this, but I need to know if the book I am looking at on Amazon is the one you have referred to as being written in base clef.  Here is a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Louis-Maggio-System-Brass/dp/B000729MB4

Notice that it says, "Original Louis Maggio System for Brass".  It doesn't say what brass: treble-layers (trumpets) or base-players (trombones).  So how do I know that I won't have to transpose from either treble or tenor clef down to base clef.  I'm confused.  I don't want to buy this book if it does not contain all of it's studies written in base clef.  If it IS written in base clef, then what do our trumpet-playing friends do with it?  Can you help?

Thanks,
Charles
ttf_vegasbound

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Yes thats the one.....

each excercise has three lines top one in Bb treble /middle one for horn in F and bottom bass clef for trombone!
ttf_Geezerhorn

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: vegasbound on May 16, 2012, 09:51AMYes thats the one.....

each excercise has three lines top one in Bb treble /middle one for horn in F and bottom bass clef for trombone!

Ohhhhhhhhhh!  I get it!  Image  Image  I just ordered it from 'zon.  Image  Image

Thanks to you and all for your help with this.

-Charles
ttf_willful.liam

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_willful.liam »

Quote from: Bonefide on Mar 29, 2012, 04:26PMmy high range has improved the most since I started doing fundamentals with a dedicated mental focus on producing a great tone efficiently. Mostly between  Image Image and  Image Image ...  Image works for me.

I thought this was my comfortable range for a while.  But then I started seeing pieces with faster and more challenging rhythms that use the notes between  Image Image and  Image  Image.  I may be able to play all these notes comfortably when they are out of context.  But put if you put them in the context of some weird interval changes and dotted-8th-16th note rhythms, then they become hard again.

I've been thinking a little less about getting to  Image Image lately, and more about playing up to  Image  Image in more contexts.
ttf_willful.liam

High Range on Trombone

Post by ttf_willful.liam »

Quote from: Bonefide on Mar 29, 2012, 04:26PMmy high range has improved the most since I started doing fundamentals with a dedicated mental focus on producing a great tone efficiently. Mostly between  Image Image and  Image Image ...  Image works for me.

I thought this was my comfortable range for a while.  But then I started seeing pieces with faster and more challenging rhythms that use the notes between  Image Image and  Image  Image.  I may be able to play all these notes comfortably when they are out of context.  But put if you put them in the context of some weird interval changes and dotted-8th-16th note rhythms, then they become hard again.

I've been thinking a little less about getting to  Image Image lately, and more about playing up to  Image  Image in more contexts.

Return to “Practice Room”