Saliva... in my sound?

ttf_zxxfgg

Saliva... in my sound?

Post by ttf_zxxfgg »

I've noticed something odd in my bass trombone sound, where, when playing steady for a while, a bit of fuzz/fluff/crackle will appear in my sound. I've identified it as the result of saliva passing through my embouchure. First it builds up a bit behind the bottom lip/teeth, then passes onto my lip, creating a bit of fuzz in my tone, and then a more noticeable crackle as it moves over my lip and blows into the mouthpiece.

Usually this happens when I am in the mid-low register, (where my bottom lip is lowered and there's a larger aperture and volume of air) and whenever I have sustained playing (long tones, rochuts, almost anytime there aren't many rests) I notice the need to swallow, and/or this buildup and passthrough of saliva. As soon as 10-15 seconds into an etude this may happen.

Anyone else felt this or something similar? Tips?

I've heard this in my sound ever since switched I switched from my Holton 181 to my Shires - where I can hear a more distinct difference between my clear and less-than-clear tone. I assume nothing has changed in my playing to cause this. I've always felt that I salivate quite a bit while playing, and that I feel the need to swallow regularly, which can be bothersome.

I don't really know what I can or should do about it - the main complaint is that needing to swallow regularly disrupts breathing, which disrupts everything else Image - and the effect on my sound I described above is brief, but still very unwanted. It just seems impossible to tell my mouth to stop salivating as much when I'm playing trombone!

Thanks in advance folks!
ttf_Krazzikk

Saliva... in my sound?

Post by ttf_Krazzikk »

I can't say I've ever noticed saliva affecting my sound but I have had a good amount of occurrences where saliva pools in my mouth while playing and I choke when I take a breath. I think I especially may have this problem because I always make sure I'm well hydrated when I'm playing.

You can imagine how that can be really awkward and bad wether in a rehearsal or performance...  Image
ttf_davdud101

Saliva... in my sound?

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

This here is just what helped me... on trumpet, when saliva would build like crazy in my mouth ;

Loads of long tones... working on tone consistency, listening for the SOUND and letting my chops/mouth gravitate towards the overall setup that prevented a saliva-ey SOUND. For me it ended up being actually not tied to my hydration, but the way I was using my air and embouchure that was creating some sort of "steam"/condensation build-up at the chops.

It might well be hydration thought. This is JUST my two cents tho - take it with a half-grain of salt! More experienced people will chime in and probably disprove me, but this worked for me Image
ttf_davdud101

Saliva... in my sound?

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

This here is just what helped me... on trumpet, when saliva would build like crazy in my mouth ;

Loads of long tones... working on tone consistency, listening for the SOUND and letting my chops/mouth gravitate towards the overall setup that prevented a saliva-ey SOUND. For me it ended up being actually not tied to my hydration, but the way I was using my air and embouchure that was creating some sort of "steam"/condensation build-up at the chops.

It might well be hydration thought. This is JUST my two cents tho - take it with a half-grain of salt! More experienced people will chime in and probably disprove me, but this worked for me Image

Return to “Practice Room”