Doubling trumpet without using too much pressure

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I know there have been a number of topics on this, but I have a question for you guys that successfully double trumpet and bone. How long did it take to feel comfortable on the trumpet? I have been working on it for a few weeks now and playing trumpet to me still feels like I am trying to put my whole body through a straw. I know I am playing with too much pressure, but I am not sure what to change. So far, my trumpet range tops out at a concert D, although I can sometimes get the concert F above that.

I started out with a really cheap horn, but just found a better one on Ebay. But I don't think the horn is the problem.

I know that this will take time, but any suggestions for somehow reducing the pressure would be great. And I am planning on taking some lessons soon.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I do not know what you are doing, but I can tell you that in my case, a couple of lessons with Doug got me started down the path to correcting major problems in my embouchure.  Prior to that work, I could hardly play on trumpet.  Now I'm able to play to C above the treble clef staff with relatively little effort - as long as I've been practicing trumpet for a few days in advance.

It did take me some time to feel comfortable, though.  Maybe 6 months? 

Your mileage may vary, of course...  Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

I'm still not the biggest fan to be honest, but I discovered that a lot of my gripes with the instrument were the (very cheap) instrument I was playing. I recently got a lightweight Conn 8B Artist fixed up and playing trumpet is a much more pleasant experience. My C trumpet is more enjoyable too.

One thing that helped was getting a suitable mouthpiece for me. I started with some middle-of-the-road Schilkes and I would get a splitting headache when playing high. I tried a Bach 1C and that problem went away, in addition to the high range being easier and the tone being fuller. Because I play trumpet mostly in commercial settings, I got a Curry 1H Star that's even bigger than a 1C, but has a shallow cup. Trumpet players love talking mouthpieces and I can kind of see why. On a horn that small it makes a big difference.

As for embouchure I've had the most success reducing pressure by playing with a tighter embouchure and faster air. Still, I top out at the written E (concert D) three ledgers above the staff and I haven't been able to make those last two notes (Eb and E) up there any easier or increase my range despite practice. There's definitely still work to be done.
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

I am far from the most accomplished doubler here, but for me it's been helpful for me to consider the size of the instrument.  Early on I had problems because I was just trying to overblow everything.  Trumpet is much smaller than trombone (obviously) and takes less air to work.   I've had success reducing the total amount of air in my trumpet playing, and trying to concentrated on manipulating and directing the air more effectively.

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

The best exercises for reducing pressure I know about are:

1. Palm exercise
2. Pencil exercise/PETE
3. Whisper G

Not using the pinky hook.
Not slamming the horn into your faces.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: bonenick on Jan 04, 2018, 11:30AMThe best exercises for reducing pressure I know about are:

1. Palm exercise
2. Pencil exercise/PETE
3. Whisper G

I have heard of the pencil thing, but no clue about the other 2. Care to enlighten me?
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: bonenick on Jan 04, 2018, 11:30AMThe best exercises for reducing pressure I know about are:

1. Palm exercise
2. Pencil exercise/PETE
3. Whisper G

I have heard of the pencil thing, but no clue about the other 2. Care to enlighten me?

Return to “Practice Room”