Thinking of a new challenge

ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Myself and a friend of mine, pro drum player for a funk/pop band, were talking this weekend about trying a challenge where EVERY free moment of the day for one week would be spent doing something with the aim of improving our musicianship. This would include practicing, critical listening, transcribing, breathing exercises (in my case), etc etc.

It's partially an experiment to see HOW much headway either of us can gain by focusing EXCLUSIVELY on things that would improve our musicianship, and also equal parts a try at really maxing out how much can be gained in a given amount of time to sort of 'front-load'/accelerate our learning and actually gain a great amount of useful skill or knowledge in a nearly unhealthy amount of time.

Has anyone done something like this?

If you were thinking of doing something like this that would take that much dedication and focus for a solid 5 or 7 days, what kinds of things would you put in there to focus on?
It could easily become a waste of time if there's no focus on things that one doesn't struggle with. Thing is, right now, I've got time to be doing things like this. A lot of people are going to say, "It's the New Year, be with your family", etc.. but this is a challenge that interests me and I think I may go for it!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I think Christian Lindberg did that for 5 years before he went pro. I think he's still doing it to this day and can't stop...
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Yep, put your listening shoes on and get cracking!
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Yep, put your listening shoes on and get cracking!

Return to “Practice Room”