Playalong for improving tone and intonation

ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

I want to work on improving my tone as well as intonation, and is looking for good playalong-material for practice. It must be available on cd, I don´t have a computer at home. Would be great if you shared your favourites!  Image
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Walter White has a good intonation practice play-along CD.

I prefer a standard drone, something like a good Indian tanpura.

Those options are long tone and pitch practice tools; for learning repertoire that way, nothing really beats playing along with a recording.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Tone is something we can't explain or provide a simple exercise.  Listen to a bunch of great trombonists and try to imitate their tone (if you can).  Sometimes if there is a mechanical problem affecting your tone a teacher can help.

To improve tone, you play long tones and try to imitate the good tones you have in your head.  Try different things.  Lots of them won't work, but keep trying until something does.
ttf_David Schwartz

Post by ttf_David Schwartz »

Falin,
Check out the offerings at my website:  Bordogni studies in books-with-CD's and an inexpensive and very nourishing Breakfast intonation practice booklet-with-CD.
David
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 22, 2017, 08:28AMTone is something we can't explain

Image Image per that recent thread I'm guessing

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Ralph Sauer has a play along cd and book called long tone duets that is very good.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

If you are into jazz/pop tunes and already have your music sheets or know some cool tunes, IrealPro is a lot for 15$.

You can also write your own stuff there.

Not to compete with all what was mentioned by all the above posters.
ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

Quote from: Andrew Meronek on Nov 22, 2017, 07:53AMWalter White has a good intonation practice play-along CD.

I prefer a standard drone, something like a good Indian tanpura.

Those options are long tone and pitch practice tools; for learning repertoire that way, nothing really beats playing along with a recording.

Thanks, I will check that cd out!
I have seen the word drone mentioned in the forum before, but haven´t really gotten the meaning of it? (English is not my native language.)
ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 22, 2017, 08:28AMTone is something we can't explain or provide a simple exercise.  Listen to a bunch of great trombonists and try to imitate their tone (if you can).  Sometimes if there is a mechanical problem affecting your tone a teacher can help.

To improve tone, you play long tones and try to imitate the good tones you have in your head.  Try different things.  Lots of them won't work, but keep trying until something does.

I quite agree, but listening and imitating only gets you so far. For me it works well to play together with someone who has a good tone, and I can´t bring my teacher home with me every evening to practice tone.  Image
ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

Quote from: David Schwartz on Nov 22, 2017, 01:46PMFalin,
Check out the offerings at my website:  Bordogni studies in books-with-CD's and an inexpensive and very nourishing Breakfast intonation practice booklet-with-CD.
David

Great! I really like my Bordogni-etudes!  Image
ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Nov 23, 2017, 01:55AMRalph Sauer has a play along cd and book called long tone duets that is very good.

I only found it as downloadable MP3, I will look again for the cd then, thanks!
ttf_Falin

Post by ttf_Falin »

Quote from: bonenick on Nov 23, 2017, 02:52AMIf you are into jazz/pop tunes and already have your music sheets or know some cool tunes, IrealPro is a lot for 15$.

You can also write your own stuff there.

Not to compete with all what was mentioned by all the above posters.

No, jazz is not my cup of tea, I´m afraid. Likes to listen to it, but not playing. I´m all about wind band!  Image
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Falin on Nov 28, 2017, 03:39AMI have seen the word drone mentioned in the forum before, but haven´t really gotten the meaning of it? (English is not my native language.)

A drone is a constant tone.  If you are playing an exercise in Bb, you may have a drone set up to play Bb.  This is a good way to hear intervals.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: David Schwartz on Nov 22, 2017, 01:46PMFalin,
David

I have Breakfast, it's very good.  Recommended.

Also Cello Drones on youtube are good. 
ttf_johnstad

Post by ttf_johnstad »

Michael Davis has a 10 minute, 15 minute and 20 minute warmups that are play alongs.  It takes some of the Remington exercises and redressed them with some fun backgrounds,
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

The way I see it (jazzer or not) we speak of two different issues here.

1. Abillity to hear pitches in your head - here all the play along, singing and wistling your parts can be very much of help

2. The abillity to modify the pitch as you play....this raise another two issues  Image
a/ micropositions on your instrument and slide technique - this I will leave to more experienced slider than I am.
b/ the abillity to lip the pitches down or up...bending notes, playing between harmonics (there is a post of mine about this) can be very helpful.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Intonation:

QuoteThe Intonation Repair Tool pairs a comprehensive book and training CD that is one of the most innovative routines in the field. The IRT book includes everything that you will need to understand, diagnose and refine your intonation. The IRT CD includes 6 exercises in all 12 keys that encourage confident decision making and allow your instincts to become your best teacher.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Intonation:

QuoteThe Intonation Repair Tool pairs a comprehensive book and training CD that is one of the most innovative routines in the field. The IRT book includes everything that you will need to understand, diagnose and refine your intonation. The IRT CD includes 6 exercises in all 12 keys that encourage confident decision making and allow your instincts to become your best teacher.

Return to “Practice Room”