Cornet doubling

ttf_macbone

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_macbone »

I've played tenor trb for 50 yrs and added bass trb about 20 yrs ago.  I do pretty well on both, but lately had an urge to learn valves, so bought a cornet for about 100 bucks.  I like it and it seems to be coming along, but will it mess with my trombone chops?  Certainly a very different feel.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Cornet seems to be a more open blow than trumpet.
ttf_Matt K

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I played cornet briefly in a traditional jazz ensemble last year (I think...).  Cornet is a little bit easier of a blow or at least mine was.  I had the most success with Kelly mouthpieces, oddly enough. They have a 3C that worked well for me. I found that the "3" size worked the best for me even for jazz contexts and I like the feel of the lexan.  I did some trumpet too and ultimately foudn that to be better when I got a horn that was a little bit better than a student model.  I also had a Matt Frost mouthpiece made with a Lexan rim that suited me better than anything else I tried... though if you're doing it for kicks that might be cost prohibitive.  Trumpet/cornet is a cool instrument in the sense that there are tons of gearheads so you don't have to invest a lot of money to get a pretty nice horn.
ttf_DaveBb

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

I played the cornet for about 20 years (averagely). Compared with trumpet, cornet mouthpieces generally have larger diameter, deeper cups and bigger throats than trumpet mouthpieces, and also have a sweeter sound so will feel a little less unnatural to play.
The fat british brass band cornet sound is generally achieved using a Denis Wick 4 or larger.  None of the Bach cornet mouthpieces are anywhere near as big in the cup as this.

I played a Bach strad cornet which appears thinner in the leadpipe than other brands of cornet, and the Bach mouthpieces were a better match than the Wicks (for an average player anyway).

It would be interesting to give a Chason crossover mouthpiece a try on cornet  (not $175 interesting though)
https://www.chasonsmusic.com/hybrid-crossover-mouthpieces

ttf_macbone

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_macbone »

Thanks!  I play a Conn Connquest from about 1970.  Conn 1.25 mouthpiece.  Feels OK.  I like the British band concept description.
ttf_Matt K

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Just incase you aren't aware: the cornet and trumpet receivers are different and there are really two types of cornet receivers as well.  So if you order one of the crossover mouthpeices, make sure you're getting one that will work on your cornet!

ttf_MikeBMiller

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I bought a trumpet for $40 off of Craiglist last week and sucked it up and spent close to $200 for the Chason mouthpiece. Just got it today. For someone who has a hard time getting a good sound out of a standard trumpet mp, this thing is great. I have just started practicing a bit with it tonight and I already have a half decent trumpet sound and even squeaked out a high C. It is going to take some practice, but I think I will love this mp. Hopefully it will be a transition piece between a bone and a regular trumpet mp at some point in the future.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Cornet doubling

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I bought a trumpet for $40 off of Craiglist last week and sucked it up and spent close to $200 for the Chason mouthpiece. Just got it today. For someone who has a hard time getting a good sound out of a standard trumpet mp, this thing is great. I have just started practicing a bit with it tonight and I already have a half decent trumpet sound and even squeaked out a high C. It is going to take some practice, but I think I will love this mp. Hopefully it will be a transition piece between a bone and a regular trumpet mp at some point in the future.

Return to “Practice Room”