Is it legal to distribute the Rochut etudes digitally?

ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

I'd love to have all of them, but I already spent my mom's designated trombone money for the month.

If it's not legal, just delete the topic, please.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

There is Bordogni etudes free and legal on IMSLP. Search for Marco Bordogni.

Leif
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The Rochut edition of the Bordogni etudes won't be public domain until the 2020s

As noted above you can find many of them on IMSLP.org in their original vocal settings. Editing required for trombone purposes.

Some time ago I embarked on transcribing the originals to computer score format so people could play along with the accompaniment, but i got sidetracked when some crucial ones became impossible to track down.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I also should point out that the Rochut transcriptions of Bordogni vocalises aren't the only things to use for developing musicianship.  Robcat's Dotzauer and Popper etudes as an example.

I believe you can also locate Mantia's "The Trombone Virtuoso" on IMSLP.

If you really want to drive yourself nuts, the Blazhevich "School for Trombone" (known here as the Clef Studies), "Sequences", and Duets are all on IMSLP.
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

Thank you guys. I'll probably just write them out myself.

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 08, 2017, 12:23PMI also should point out that the Rochut transcriptions of Bordogni vocalises aren't the only things to use for developing musicianship.  Robcat's Dotzauer and Popper etudes as an example.

Of course, I would just like to dip my toe in the water.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

While we are on free IMSLP material, I'll note that the 12 Vocalises Elementaires Of Mathilda Marchesi Op. 13 are quite good and would work well for trombone , transposed down an octave.

The notoriety of the Rochut-Bordogni edition is that is has been practically canonized by teachers as required material for trombone students. They almost all teach it because it is what almost all learned from and you will often see a Rochut etude included on audition lists for college situations.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/lichtmann/tptmidi.html

Here is both pdf and midi version for download. Its for trumpet but I think its legal. Its just to transpose it which I did. If somebody want it I can put up a link to the many transpositions I made for both bass and tenor trombone.

Leif

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The vocalises by Marco Bordogni are Public Domain and can be freely transmitted.  If you wrote a transcription of one and want to give it away you are allowed.

Since the Rochut transcriptions were published after 1923 they are not Public Domain in the USA and you may not freely give them away.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Ya know... you can get a printed edition of the Rochut Vol. 1 (with CD even) for less than $20 on Amazon and its affiliated booksellers.

Vol. 1 is really the only one anyone pays much attention to.

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

IMSLP also has Arban's.

Of course it's in treble clef, which you can read as concert pitch, Bb (transposed) treble, or in any clef you want, with suitable key signature changes.

IMSLP had it in five files.  It turned out #4 was "The Art of Phrasing," a selection of 150 short lyrical songs that Could work something like Rochut.  I'm working through them slowly.  Almost none of them are familiar tunes, so it is sight reading practice at the same time.

Another source of lyrical vocal songs is Concone, and that's public domain on IMSLP too.  I'm not as familiar with that one but it used to be standard with some teachers. 
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Apr 10, 2017, 12:45PMYa know... you can get a printed edition of the Rochut Vol. 1 (with CD even) for less than $20 on Amazon and its affiliated booksellers.

I'd love to, but I'm an impatient millenial and I'd much rather have it now. Image
I think I might have a "hookup" on the first book though.
ttf_kfdz277

Post by ttf_kfdz277 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Apr 10, 2017, 12:45PMYa know... you can get a printed edition of the Rochut Vol. 1 (with CD even) for less than $20 on Amazon and its affiliated booksellers.

I'd love to, but I'm an impatient millenial and I'd much rather have it now. Image
I think I might have a "hookup" on the first book though.

Return to “Pedagogy”