Student switching from Sax

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey guys, I just got a new student who is switching from sax to trombone at the behest of his band director.  He started maybe 4 or 5 months ago without a teacher, and then got in touch with me after hitting various road blocks.

Among the hardest problems to solve are the fact that his lower lip goes way into the mouth covering the lips (my understanding is that this is typical sax embouchure).  He also tends to slide the mouthpiece very far to the right of his embouchure as he goes up in the range.  Sound tends to get very thin up there it and is in general not very predictable for him.  Over a couple of lessons I've managed to help him with the first habit, but still having trouble with the second one.  Any ideas for how to encourage him to develop a more functional embouchure up high?  Many thanks.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Tell the student to go back to the sax, learn all the doubles, clarinet flute etc etc they will get more gigs than being a trombone player!

And more importantly what does the student want to play?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't think that's an option, Vegas. Image

For the shifting, try lip slurs concentrating on keeping the mouthpiece in the same place.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: vegasbound on Mar 01, 2017, 09:59AMTell the student to go back to the sax, learn all the doubles, clarinet flute etc etc they will get more gigs than being a trombone player!

Haha, +1 on these...

Not to mention Bruce's comment, as lip slurs and long tones have helped correct my embouchure and build what I think of as an 'air-efficient embouchure', time and time again, from trumpet down to tuba.

Good luck! I've currently got a student switching from flute, and her starting place is also learning to set a good embouchure for tone and range (amongst other things).
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Quote from: vegasbound on Mar 01, 2017, 09:59AM

I think he's interested in trombone and is generally enjoying it.  I don't ever have to nag him about practicing.  He has a killer vintage olds that his grandfather used to play on!
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

QuoteAmong the hardest problems to solve are the fact that his lower lip goes way into the mouth covering the lips (my understanding is that this is typical sax embouchure).

That is not a typically sax embouchure, more clarinette but not really. Maybe the idea to play trombone was to get away from the sax beacause of embouchure problem?
I would have him play som flute, that is actually closer to brass embouchure then what many think.

How does he sound?
Did you mean "covering the teeth"?
I have some former trombone students who do play with the lower lip going into the mouth, some are pro players and do sound very good.

It is a bit difficult to really understand what "way into the mouth" is. Can he articulate? How is his range? ASnd most important how is the sound?
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Mar 02, 2017, 02:20AM

That is not a typically sax embouchure, more clarinette but not really. Maybe the idea to play trombone was to get away from the sax beacause of embouchure problem?
I would have him play som flute, that is actually closer to brass embouchure then what many think.

How does he sound?
Did you mean "covering the teeth"?
I have some former trombone students who do play with the lower lip going into the mouth, some are pro players and do sound very good.

It is a bit difficult to really understand what "way into the mouth" is. Can he articulate? How is his range? ASnd most important how is the sound?

Right now he can play pretty well from  Image Image up to  Image  Image but it's not as consistent up there.  Tone is getting better in the low range but it thins out really quickly as he gets higher.  I know what you mean by playing with the lower lip in a bit, I do this myself and it works well for me, but on this student it was pretty extreme.  It seems to be getting much better.  Now I'm mostly focusing on the dramatic shift to the right that he does as he gets high.

ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

I tried the following set of exercises with him this week, with much success:

1) Long tones on   ImageImage and  Image Image with a focus on setting up correctly and getting good tone.

2) Slur between those two ranges.

3) do long tones on  Image Image

4) ad that to the slurs.

5) continue pattern until you get to  Image Image
ttf_kwbryson

Post by ttf_kwbryson »

I tried the following set of exercises with him this week, with much success:

1) Long tones on   ImageImage and  Image Image with a focus on setting up correctly and getting good tone.

2) Slur between those two ranges.

3) do long tones on  Image Image

4) ad that to the slurs.

5) continue pattern until you get to  Image Image

Return to “Pedagogy”