3-4 weeks after I started

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Hi bone gang Image,

I made a recording today for personal educational purposes, but then decided to post it here for 2 reasons:

1. Some of the more advanced folks may see things I am missing
2. You can hear more or less the voice of the infamous counterfeit King 3BF trombone

https://youtu.be/pFvIaKYoeI4

My observations:

Sound: I think it is good, though I feel like of the mp is a little bit too big for me. It is the mp I got with the bone. I think I would like something I little brighter. The present mp has no markings whatsoever.

Intonation: I have a lot to do, but for 3 weeks, I think that it is rather a good result.

Body use: I seem to have tilted slide my had towards the trombone, which is probably not too good, otherwise I feel rather relaxed. The high register is still not consistent enough, but it is there.

Tonguing: most of the time sounds kind of OK, though doing a different articulation on demand is still a bit of a challenge.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Wow, your tone is improving significantly. You're getting a good start on improv too. One thing to keep in mind is that long notes are an opportunity to check your intonation. Bad intonation is more obvious the longer you hold the note, so you should be adjusting if you hear an out-of-tune held note.

Another suggestion you're likely to hear contradicted. Your grip on the slide with the finger tips is what some would consider "text book". But you might consider, especially as you get more comfortable with the instrument and the slide in particular, put your ring finger and pinky below the slide, open up a little gap between the thumb and forefinger, and play with the wrist for small adjustments. If you hold your hand so that you can see your palm, the wrist can take up small movements without moving your whole arm. By not grasping the brace tightly, you can flick the slide back and forth between forefinger and thumb to make single position changes.

Whatever that horn is, it doesn't appear to be holding you back. Congrats on the improvements!
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Thanks Hyperbolica,

I am not the other guy, who post about his progress) This is the first trombone video I have ever posted. No, I don't feel like the instrument is holding me back or anything of the kind. Just for the record, I am professional trumpet player, but I never took a trombone lesson. I just apply what I know from trumpet playing and apply it to trombone. I watched some videos of Jiggs Wigham, Bill Watrous and some other famous trobone players.

Thanks for you tips, I will look have a go with them, thanks for taking the time.
ttf_andyincov

Post by ttf_andyincov »

Quote from: bonenick on Dec 05, 2016, 07:43AMThanks Hyperbolica,

I am not the other guy, who post about his progress) This is the first trombone video I have ever posted. No, I don't feel like the instrument is holding me back or anything of the kind. Just for the record, I am professional trumpet player, but I never took a trombone lesson. I just apply what I know from trumpet playing and apply it to trombone. I watched some videos of Jiggs Wigham, Bill Watrous and some other famous trobone players.

Thanks for you tips, I will look have a go with them, thanks for taking the time.

I am the other guy who posts about his progress.  I'd give my left leg to soound like that Image
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: andyincov on Dec 05, 2016, 01:52PMI'd give my left leg to soound like that Image
Maybe you should try with the right one? Image
ttf_andyincov

Post by ttf_andyincov »

Quote from: bonenick on Dec 05, 2016, 01:54PMMaybe you should try with the right one? Image

Perhaps. Great sounding trombone you've got there. What's the transfer from trumpet to trombone like embouchure wise?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Not much of a problem, as previosuly I have fiddled with bigger valved instruments (Euphonium and Tuba). I never played those instrument regularly, just fooled around while I was teaching and playing with a brass band in Switzerland, while I was stdying there (some 15 years ago).

I still don't have the stamina and the consistency in the high register as much as I would like, but I guess that I will need some more time on trombone in order to achieve that.

I also practise switching from trombone to trumpet and vice-versa as I will need to do it on my gigs. The first few days it was tricky, as the trumpet mouthpiece felt so little after the trombone. But now is almost OK.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Today I decided to have a go at a simple melody, such as I'm getting sentimental just to see how far I went for the last 4-5 months sound wise...There are still some missed articulations, some not so perfected intonated notes, but it sounds like I am getting there (the bone is too big and the slide is not fast enough for a good and free vibrato-but I am trying anyway, sounds still a bit like an euphonium but it sounds to me much better than at the beginning)

Feel free to share you thoughts (the tbone audio is directly taken from the phone video, did not want to mess with equipment as afterwards often I get in trouble when synchronising the video and audio).

https://youtu.be/SLVOey_5ZAg

Played on a Wedge 7C mouthpiece and a chinese trombone with King engraving (most probably a Bach 42 copy)
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Doesn't sound like a euphonium through my headphones, maybe a little trumpetey - not that it matters any.  Sounded good to me. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Say, that accompaniment sounds very  familiar. lol

I thought it sounded pretty good. Your trumpet training is paying off on your 'bone efforts! Keep at it!!!!!

Work on your lower range as well.

...Geezer
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Today at 09:44 AMSay, that accompaniment sounds very  familiar. lol
Yep. Thanks Geez for the track. It is yours, no doubt. The other one is awesome, but was just too hard to get it right with timing. It would be interesting to do it live though.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Today at 09:44 AMSay, that accompaniment sounds very  familiar. lol
Yep. Thanks Geez for the track. It is yours, no doubt. The other one is awesome, but was just too hard to get it right with timing. It would be interesting to do it live though.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”