Being Self-Taught

ttf_watermailonman

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Nov 02, 2016, 08:01AMOh, I am!

He knows I like playing ballads with accompaniment and encourages me. He coached me into becoming very familiar with a few to the extent that I can experiment playing them in different styles.

Currently, I am listening to recordings to identify what basic elements makes a trombone artist unique from others. So now I am trying to play a couple ballads kinda the way Carl Fontana, Ira Nepus or Harold Betters might play them. Naturally, I can't keep up with their technique when they are on a roll. But it's a heck of a lot of fun attempting to play the ballads with some basic elements I have identified from each style. So for example, when I play a ballad with a basic Carl Fontana style, I'll try to mimic his articulation, lip vibrato and try to find notes that you wouldn't think could sound nice, but do anyway.

...Geezer

Sounds like you are having fun. This is high level thinking. A good way to analyze trombone playing.
Good for you also to have found such an inspiring teacher

/Tom
ttf_EWadie99

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I am also self-taught and all I do is watch videos of trombonists doing what they do for their daily warm-ups and I also apply to them and do so as followed.  I did had a Skype chat with Doug of mouthpiece advice and now I practice buzzing on the mouthpiece and also apply it to the horn and it has worked for me so far for my needs as a developing player. 

FWIW,

Ethan

ttf_Geezerhorn

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: watermailonman on Nov 03, 2016, 04:22AMSounds like you are having fun. This is high level thinking. A good way to analyze trombone playing.
Good for you also to have found such an inspiring teacher

/Tom

It IS fun! I'm not very good at it, but that doesn't stop me. After all, I'm in the privacy of my own home in my basement music studio. So as long as my wife doesn't complain...

It's admittedly over my head at present. I can't sustain a player's style for very long on an unrehearsed ballad I pull out of Band-in-a-Box for practice. So I start out and go as far as I can, then switch over to another player's style and see how far I can go with that in a round-robin kinda way, with my limited ability. But it's not only fun, it's excellent ear training - the listening and then the application.

And for me, it's a double-punch. I'm not only practicing style imitation, I'm working on a certain amount of improv at the same time. So it really gets deep quickly. How would so-and-so improv on this piece. If someone knowledgeable heard me, they would probably laugh and say, "Well, that's really not how so-and-so would do it. But at least you're trying". 

I just finished a session this evening. I was a good boy. First I did my homework assignment my teacher has me on. Then I worked on some outside band material. Then I was free to have at whatever I wanted to do until my chops wore out.

Quote from: EWadie99 on Nov 03, 2016, 04:48PMI am also self-taught and all I do is watch videos of trombonists doing what they do for their daily warm-ups and I also apply to them and do so as followed.  I did had a Skype chat with Doug of mouthpiece advice and now I practice buzzing on the mouthpiece and also apply it to the horn and it has worked for me so far for my needs as a developing player. 

FWIW,
If you have the ability to self-teach, more power to you! I do - to a point. When I felt I had hit that point is when I found a terrific instructor. Now I can still self-teach and learn from my instructor as well. Progress is coming quickly.

...Geezer

ttf_Geezerhorn

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Here's a really good example of style to imitate:

Carl Fontana plays "If I Only Had A Brain"

If we listen carefully and take mental style-point notes, probably a lot of us students could play in a style similar to his as he plays the melody through - at least the first time.

I didn't know I could even stand a chance at doing this kind of aping until my instructor inspired me. Listening plays a big role. I know it's been posted by various players - the need to listen well and often to other 'bone players. But it's one thing to see it in print and yet another to hear an inspiring instructor relate how he makes it a point to listen every single day. I now make time in the morning over a cup of coffee to listen.

...Geezer
ttf_anonymous

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Very interesting reading all this. I taught myself to play the banjo through tabs, visiting places like this dedicated ti the banjo, being obsessed and most importantly, playing for hiurs on end with other musicians, having fun.

I have only played trombone for 4 weeks now but plan to apply the same techniques and see what happens.  I can feel the obsession BUILDiNG!
ttf_anonymous

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am a tuba player, retired from the Army.  I played some trombone in jazz groups while in the Army but only for about 3 years.  I am self taught on trombone mostly because of not being able to afford lessons when I first started on bone.  I have watched a lot and asked a lot of questions of other players which has helped me learn.  I am still learning trombone and recently have begun playing in a local big band.  If I were a younger player I would definitely seek out an instructor when possible.  I have appreciated reading all of these responses and hearing how everyone got their start in playing.  Its interesting to hear how we all arrive at the love of playing.   Thanks for sharing!
ttf_Geezerhorn

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Davidus1 on Feb 19, 2017, 07:26PMI am a tuba player, retired from the Army.  I played some trombone in jazz groups while in the Army but only for about 3 years.  I am self taught on trombone mostly because of not being able to afford lessons when I first started on bone.  I have watched a lot and asked a lot of questions of other players which has helped me learn.  I am still learning trombone and recently have begun playing in a local big band.  If I were a younger player I would definitely seek out an instructor when possible.  I have appreciated reading all of these responses and hearing how everyone got their start in playing.  Its interesting to hear how we all arrive at the love of playing.   Thanks for sharing!

One thing. I'm 68. About four months or so ago, I enlisted the aid of a private instructor - Bob Riddle - on this Forum. He's amazing and I wish I had started instruction with him years instead of months ago. It's never too late for older guys to do what younger people think nothing of doing.

Being self-taught is fantastic. But being part of a legacy of instruction going back about 100 years or so trumps it all. Can't beat that.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Being Self-Taught

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Davidus1 on Feb 19, 2017, 07:26PMI am a tuba player, retired from the Army.  I played some trombone in jazz groups while in the Army but only for about 3 years.  I am self taught on trombone mostly because of not being able to afford lessons when I first started on bone.  I have watched a lot and asked a lot of questions of other players which has helped me learn.  I am still learning trombone and recently have begun playing in a local big band.  If I were a younger player I would definitely seek out an instructor when possible.  I have appreciated reading all of these responses and hearing how everyone got their start in playing.  Its interesting to hear how we all arrive at the love of playing.   Thanks for sharing!

One thing. I'm 68. About four months or so ago, I enlisted the aid of a private instructor - Bob Riddle - on this Forum. He's amazing and I wish I had started instruction with him years instead of months ago. It's never too late for older guys to do what younger people think nothing of doing.

Being self-taught is fantastic. But being part of a legacy of instruction going back about 100 years or so trumps it all. Can't beat that.

...Geezer

Return to “Pedagogy”