Favorite exercise

ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been thinking for a while about putting together a book in pdf format with favorite exercises from all of the members in this forum. Of course, if all of us give me an exercise it will result in an unreadable book due to the size of it...
Is this a good idea?
Are there enough interested participants and contributors for this?
Enough readers/players?

My idea is to somehow collect them and then put them all together for all of us to download.
So, should I go on or just forget it?
All inputs are welcome.

Maybe this has been done in the past prior me joining this forum, if so, please forgive me.

ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sounds Like a nice idea!
ttf_sabutin

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Tobbe on Feb 22, 2009, 05:45AMI've been thinking for a while about putting together a book in pdf format with favorite exercises from all of the members in this forum. Of course, if all of us give me an exercise it will result in an unreadable book due to the size of it...
Is this a good idea?
Are there enough interested participants and contributors for this?
Enough readers/players?

My idea is to somehow collect them and then put them all together for all of us to download.
So, should I go on or just forget it?
All inputs are welcome.

Maybe this has been done in the past prior me joining this forum, if so, please forgive me.

I'll contribute a couple.

Sam
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sounds like a great idea to me! A bunch of great trombone players contributing their best practice methods... I definitely know I would appreciate this!  Image
ttf_blast

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_blast »

There was a book printed years ago that I think was called 'Practice with the Pro's'. A collection of tips and exercises from top players of the day. There was another compiled a few years ago along similar lines.
Always room for another, if someone (Tobbe) is prepared to put in the hard work.

Chris Stearn
ttf_Tobbe

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

Quote from: blast on Feb 22, 2009, 12:53PMAlways room for another, if someone (Tobbe) is prepared to put in the hard work.

Chris Stearn

Chris are you willing to contribute with a favorite, or as you spell it in UK, favourite exercise?
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: blast on Feb 22, 2009, 12:53PMThere was a book printed years ago that I think was called 'Practice with the Pro's'. A collection of tips and exercises from top players of the day. There was another compiled a few years ago along similar lines.
Always room for another, if someone (Tobbe) is prepared to put in the hard work.

Chris Stearn

Yeah, Practice With The Experts by Paul Tanner. I have a copy (and no, it's not for sale)

It featured great L.A. studio players, like Dick Nash, Frank Rosolino, Tommy Pederson, etc.

I also have a copy of the Paul Tanner "Complete Method" for trombone, with exercises based on the ones from "Experts"
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: DaveAshley on Feb 22, 2009, 03:12PMYeah, Practice With The Experts by Paul Tanner. I have a copy (and no, it's not for sale)

It featured great L.A. studio players, like Dick Nash, Frank Rosolino, Tommy Pederson, etc.

That's a great freakin' book.

I'll contribute quotes like these:

"If you wanna play high notes then practice playing high notes"

"Shake hands, smile and thank the guy who hired ya"

"Yes, I play bass trombone, too"

Wes Funderburk
www.funderbone.com
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sounds like a great idea and I'd be happy to contribute if you wish. How about Chris as editor?
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My favorite method of warming up is taking a trumpet and seeing how many high notes I can play!!!!

Followed by 3 1/2 hours of Oboe practice.

But in all seriousness, this sounds like a wonderful idea.
ttf_DaveAshley

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

If anyone wants a PDF scan of "Practice with the Experts", email me at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] with subject "experts" and I'll send it to you.  Make sure there's space in your inbox for 2.27M
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Email sent Image.
ttf_blast

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Andy Baker on Feb 22, 2009, 09:48PMSounds like a great idea and I'd be happy to contribute if you wish. How about Chris as editor?

This is Tobbe's baby.... and I don't want to end up as a baby snatcher  Image Image. I'll have to think what my fav exercise is... that's hard.... if I could only pass on one thing.... it might be that the real secret is that there is no secret.  Image Image

Chris Stearn
ttf_Andy Baker

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Andy Baker »

Quote from: blast on Feb 23, 2009, 12:59PM it might be that the real secret is that there is no secret.  Image Image

Chris Stearn

What, you mean we should all just practice long tones, lip slurs and scales with good time, pitch and sound, then some melodic exercises to work on phrasing and musicianship?
Don't be ridiculous! Image
ttf_JimR

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_JimR »

Dave
Thanks.  This was a key book for me in the late 60's.  Now that I am playing again I would love to have those exercises again.  emial sent.

Thanks again.
Jim
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Thanks for sending the book Dave, this seems to be an outstanding ressource of very good exercises!

Hey, I would be more than happy to put some time, and some of my webspace, into a community book of the trombone forum! So Tobbe let me know when the project begins!
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks a lot Dave! I like the excersises, gonna be fun.
ttf_Tobbe

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

So...

For you to send me a favorite exercise (or favorite excersises) of yours here's the mail address to use...
[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
I prefer to get them either in pdf format or sibelius (version 4).

Hope this will give a few tips to us all.

I will contribute with one or two exercises myself.

So give me a mail with your "music" and when done, reply in this topic so more people will have the chance to get their pdf-copy when I'm done editing.

ttf_Bonious

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Bonious »

Thank you Dave, Very great book, I wish I would have had this book when I was younger. Image
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Favorite exercise

Tobbe, I'll send you my favorite buzzing exercise.

My favorite exercise on the horn is exactly like the one from Harry Betts in practice with the experts!
ttf_Tobbe

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

Are you the one that are sending in the next favorite exercise of yours?
Sure you will be a part of all this!!!

ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I like making my own exercises. What is a better way to learn then to be involved in every step of the process. Brain to Pen to Hands.

One of my favorites is to just play 5 note scales in halfs than quarters, triplets, eigths, triplet eighths, sixteenths, then quintuplets. Makes you land in odd places and throws your tounging off.
ttf_Tobbe

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_Tobbe »

Quote from: ElijahClark on Feb 26, 2009, 02:52PMI like making my own exercises. What is a better way to learn then to be involved in every step of the process. Brain to Pen to Hands.

One of my favorites is to just play 5 note scales in halfs than quarters, triplets, eigths, triplet eighths, sixteenths, then quintuplets. Makes you land in odd places and throws your tounging off.

Why don't you write it down, scan it in, mail a pdf and I place it in the compendium... Image
ttf_anonymous

Favorite exercise

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, I know this is an old thread and I do hate to open a can of worms, but in doing a little research I found PWTE online here:

http://www.clarkgault.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Practice-with-the-Experts-sm.pdf

Dr. Tanner has passed and I read the following here http://maillists.samford.edu/pipermail/trombone-l/2013-February/026952.html :

"> The book has been out of print for many years. Paul told me that he had
> tried to get the rights to
> re-publish it many times, but Leeds always said no.
>
> Paul recently passed away."

It s a wonderful book and such a shame that the publishing company, whom I can not find as existing any longer, would stop it from being printed by the author (editor).

So I don't know how the link I provided is doing it, but I am glad to see it available for people to enjoy and learn from, especially since it is not sold anywhere else to my knowledge.

ttf_cozzagiorgi

Favorite exercise

Thank you for bringing this thread back to live!

Anyone knows what happened to the "community book"?
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Favorite exercise

Thank you for bringing this thread back to live!

Anyone knows what happened to the "community book"?

Return to “Pedagogy”