Merging groups

ttf_davdud101

Merging groups

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Right into the thick of it:

Has anyone ever, as a bandleader, been involved in a process of merging two groups together for a performance? That is, for example, 2 smaller horn sections or half-big bands put together to perform together?

That's sort of the spot I'm in right now. It's tough to explain "why" and "how" it's coming about for my band and another to perform together, but it's happening nonetheless, and I'm just looking for some tips on how I can make it easy and painless - should I let the other leader do the leading? How do we make sure to play the same stylistically and not take too many different freedoms?  Image Image

This actually makes me slightly anxious - It's not "soon" that it's happening, perhaps 3 or 4 months down the road, but I want to be fully prepared for whatever might happen.

ttf_BGuttman

Merging groups

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

One  of you has to be the leader.  You may need to choose straws, talk it out, or duke it out.  Do this NOW.

Sit down with a list of each of your groups and together decide on placement.  You can have a rotation on parts, for example have the 1st and 2nd Altos alternate on 1st, same with the trombones and trumpets.  Be honest with each other on abilities.

Note: if you wind up with two drummers, have one of them play auxiliary percussion.  Again, they can switch off.

Make sure you have a few rehearsals together before the combined gig.  The players need to get familiar with each other.

I'm sure there will be bumps in the road.  Ride over them and enjoy the calm spots.  Good luck.
ttf_Zandit75

Merging groups

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

For a charity event, the Brass Band I'm a part of performed with one from a neighboring town.
We had a whole day of practice, with both bandleaders taking a share of the pieces played.
The following day we had a performance for the public.
Since both bands and leaders knew each other so well, it was an enjoyable event.

As far as stylistically playing the same, this should not come in to it. Sort out which pieces you will conduct, and which ones the other leader will take. It's up to you to get the players to play how you want them to.
ttf_VVJOFan

Merging groups

Post by ttf_VVJOFan »

"Zandit..." above has the right idea.

For several years in a row the small school music department I ran did combined band trips with the small music program at the other end of our county.

We usually did at least one combined performance on each trip.

We picked the repertoire together and then split the conducting. The kids loved playing in a larger group and adapted to different conductors rather well. It was a fun learning environment for all of us.

Basically, if the two leaders model cooperation and compromise the musicians will follow suit.
ttf_VVJOFan

Merging groups

Post by ttf_VVJOFan »

"Zandit..." above has the right idea.

For several years in a row the small school music department I ran did combined band trips with the small music program at the other end of our county.

We usually did at least one combined performance on each trip.

We picked the repertoire together and then split the conducting. The kids loved playing in a larger group and adapted to different conductors rather well. It was a fun learning environment for all of us.

Basically, if the two leaders model cooperation and compromise the musicians will follow suit.

Return to “Pedagogy”