source for a quote: louder than lovely, softer than safe

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Who said this (Never louder than lovely, never softer than safe.)

I've googled without success. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: timothy42b on Dec 21, 2017, 05:31PMWho said this (Never louder than lovely, never softer than safe.)

I posted on this Forum about 3 years or so ago where I remembered as a youth hearing the phrase "No louder than lovely". I don't know the original source.

I like the entire quote you listed. I wish conductors would as well.

...Geezer
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

If I recall this is from William Shakespeare's "Plain words on singing," but I don't remember if it's quite the same.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Aha!  Thanks.  A search of Plain Words did turn up never louder than lovely, but not the softer than safe part.  That must have been added later at some point. 
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: timothy42b on Dec 21, 2017, 05:31PMWho said this (Never louder than lovely, never softer than safe.)

Have never heard that as a saying. Has not spread over seas, but it makes perfect sense.

"Aldrig starkare än att det fortfarande är vackert, och aldrig svagare än att det fortfarande bär" is something I could have said as a teacher or a teacher could have said at any time in my education. I don't think it is a "saying" but it could perhaps be. The first part basicly translates to the same thing as in english. The second is more 'you should not play so soft you risk to lose a note or the lips stop vibrating' 

"Wrong notes does not make it to the first row" or something similar is something I picked up here. That's a good one. Often one becomes so annoyed about a fault, but as the saying states a single fault is often drowned in the whole picture and does not reach the first row. It is like playing tennis and not hitting the ball right. The ball leaves the bat with NO power. Often the same when hitting a wrong note. When others are playing the wrong note drops dead at ones feet (you just need to be lucky). I've noticed this when listening at recordings where I know I did a misstake but it is not heard. It is often drowned in the whole picture. Not always that lucky of course  Image

"Det ordnar sig på konserten.. " is something Swedes say when time for rehearsal runs out but there is still things not working. It means that "All remaining problems will be solved at the concert.. ". It rarely is the case of course.

/Tom
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Have never heard that as a saying. Has not spread over seas, but it makes perfect sense.

"Aldrig starkare än att det fortfarande är vackert, och aldrig svagare än att det fortfarande bär" is something I could have said as a teacher or a teacher could have said at any time in my education. I don't think it is a "saying" but it could perhaps be. The first part basicly translates to the same thing as in english. The second is more 'you should not play so soft you risk to lose a note or the lips stop vibrating' 

"Wrong notes does not make it to the first row" or something similar is something I picked up here. That's a good one. Often one becomes so annoyed about a fault, but as the saying states a single fault is often drowned in the whole picture and does not reach the first row. It is like playing tennis and not hitting the ball right. The ball leaves the bat with NO power. Often the same when hitting a wrong note. When others are playing the wrong note drops dead at ones feet (you just need to be lucky). I've noticed this when listening at recordings where I know I did a misstake but it is not heard. It is often drowned in the whole picture. Not always that lucky of course  Image

"Det ordnar sig på konserten.. " is something Swedes say when time for rehearsal runs out but there is still things not working. It means that "All remaining problems will be solved at the concert.. ". It rarely is the case of course.

/Tom

Return to “Pedagogy”