Nomenclature

ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Sometimes the discousions on the TTF get weird because of different way of wording things and because of that, missunderstandings, I am aware of that my bad spelling may cause some missunderstanding. (I do have a problem with a mild dyslexi).

I have some examples of what, I will talk about two.

Are there right or wrong ways to tell slide positions?

Ex. when you use the F attachment you have jus 6 positions (or very often just 5 1/2)
The low Eb is sometimes called just T3, sometimes described as b3 or 3- or 3+ or 4+ or 4- or #4 or bb3 or something else. One funny thing is that + is used by some to indicat that the tone should be raised by others just the oposite, the slide is to be longer.

Just like the 7the partial G is descibed as #2, -2, +2 by different writers.

For students it can be very confusing when using different books. When I worked as a teacher I never used the + or - for that reason. I do not say it´s wrong, just that I prefer something that is lesser risk of missundersting.

Tom Malone (Alternate Position System For Trombone) use 1.7 for the high G. Reginald Fink #2 for the same tone, Budy Baker use -2, as does Rich Willey in "The Reinhardt Routines" many other say +2 meaning the same as #2. Confusing? Well not for an X teacher, we have seen it all.

Staying with this books, about using vocal sounds, Syllebels to describe the formation of the mouth cavity ,Rich Willy recomend particing "HOOO" in many studies for no tongue practice. (Just that is used a lot for many years in Eroupe ,just add the tongue for the attack). Body Baker (tenor trombone method) use DEE THA THAW THU an DOO for tonguing advice. TAW TUH TIH TEE for staccato.

Each sylleble can of be said lots of different ways.

The important thing is how it sounds, I have hundreds of book about brass playing in my hous, not looking in the much anymore, but I know there are many more way to descibe tonguing.

You can probably find more stuff to talk about missunderstanding and missconceptions on?

(PS as Tom Malone are writing about tones in the higher range he is trying to be as exact as possible, as 11th partial Eb 1.5, 13th partial F# 1.4.)
ttf_BGuttman

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For years I was subjected to the Ta (and Ka) syllables as taught by Arban.  Arban was writing a book for French speakers and his syllables were really intended for French.  Jerry Callet used to rail about this in his master classes   He used to demonstrate a French "Ta" and it was very different from English (or Swedish, for that matter).

Then there is Alan Raph and his 5 syllables for different ranges.  But he never says where the boundaries are -- probably because the transition from one to the next needs to be gradual.  Tough concept for a student to swallow.

I also don't like calling the position for G "2+".  Tends to imply that the slide should be farther out.  Sharp 2 or short 2 is much more appropriate.  I don't think most beginning trombone players are savvy enough to figure the mathematical minutiae of tenths of a position.

i read an article in The Instrumentalist from some 60 years ago talking about the trombone having 51 positions (without F-attachment!) and he was only considering the range from  Image Image to  Image Image flat.

These are things that can hobble a beginner who will devolve into "paralysis by analysis" trying to figure out all these minutiae.

I believe in teaching Newtonian Physics before we go into Relativity and similarly going from 7 positions to adjusted positions for intonation.  Walk before you run.

It would be nice to have standardized descriptions, but until that happens we have to spend time as teachers explaining all these different things to confused students.
ttf_kbiggs

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

As a young student who was often praised for being "smart," and "bright," and being told that I "catch on quickly," I used my natural curiosity to delve into those minutiae. I read pedagogy books in high school, before I had a firm foundation for embouchure, tounging, intonation, etc. It confused me for many years--paralysis by analysis.

Playing an instrument (being a musician) is an activity. It is learned by doing, not by thinking. Of course, reflection (analyis) is important at times. We all learn by observing and then copying the basics or fundamentals, and by trial and error. Later on, after years of coying and trial and error, I believe we start thinking in concepts about playing, but only after the foundation is firm. A teacher who can teach fundamentals and tailor them to individuals based on their aptitude, development and understanding can be hard to find. Good teachers, like good students, learn and adapt over time.

Opinion: I do not believe there is a system or approach that is best for teaching intonation, articulation, etc. I do believe there are approaches, based on the student's aptitude, development and understanding (and culture and interest!) that can be more effective and efficient.

Example: bass trombone positions. I found that for me and the few students I have taught, using Ostrander's system of valve and slide designation leads to less confusion. (I'm pretty sure it's from Ostrander, or perhaps Paul Faulise; I know it's not Aharoni or Raph.) For inline or independent trombones, he uses a "v" for the 1st valve (F-valve), "v" for the second valve, and "v/v" for both valves, where the "v/v" is actually in a vertical line, stacked on top of each other. Each "v" mark is followed by the slide position number for that horn's slide length: a Bb handslide has only 6 positions when using the F-valve, ditto with the Gb-valve, and 5 positions with both valves. (You can also use this system for dependent horns: just eliminate the "v" marking.)

So,  Image Image would be "v2" to play it on the first valve (F-valve), and "v2" would be to play the note on the second or Gb valve.

Another example:  Image Image one octave lower could be played v4, v4 or v/v1.

Once the student learns the different positions for the corresponding horn lengths, they then refine them through trial and error just like they did with the Bb trombone. Over time, once you learn the slide positions for each valve, you can drop the the slide position number.

I believe this system meets a student's first confusing aspects on a independent bass: which slide position do I use with which valve? That's what has worked best for me... Others may find something different works better for a particular student...

In your case, this system might not work well, given your dyslexia. However, that would be the teacher's responsibiity of finding and promoting a different system that meets that need, like Raph's or Aharoni's or Bolinger's valve and slide position nomenclature. Trial and error...
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I guess I am old-fashioned. I don't much care for the "partials" notations. They seem to change!

I like the designation of let's say - "High G" for that note three ledger lines above the bass clef staff and then "Altissimo G" for one octave up - and so forth for all the notes above the bass clef staff. When I see that designation, I don't have to count on my fingers and I know exactly what note it is.

Oh, so what designation do we use for one octave above "altissimo"? Why, "super-altissimo", of course. lol

...Geezer
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Thankyou for the responses. Beautiful post Bruce!
When trying to play in tune with some bands I think the trombone may have hundreds of positions!

QuoteIn your case, this system might not work well, given your dyslexia.Kbiggs.
Well you know that is not really how dylexia works. I did play inline horns with different second valve tunings, and tought double valve positions to students on university and gymnasium for 30 years.
When playing I see a note and play it. I really do not think of positions or valves in the playing moment. But before that I have practised a lot on the valves and positions! That is how dyslexia works. Same as all other players but just more practising.

Geezerhorn, you are old fashion?  Image

Well you know in my neighbourhood a high F is what you say is a super F!

But I know what you mean when you say super F.

For the partials is more precise, the 7th partial can´t  be anything bu the 7th partial. I think it´s a good way, if we talke about the 11th, 13th or 15th partial we can caunt from the pedalton as being #1. Ok you prefer ledger lines and thats up to you as long as we can understand each other.

ttf_mr.deacon

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Nomeclature is super important and I try and always approach it with a West Coast mindset. Anything you say or write down on paper should be able to be sightread no matter who is reading the chart. My professors for undergrad emphasized this point greatly when teaching about pop chord symbols. While there is never actually a fully universal system you can get pretty darn close by choosing to use nomeclature that makes sense to everyone.

It's like using Triangles or + or - on pop chord symbols. Personally I'll always write M7 instead of Triangle because it's nearly impossible to get M7 mixed up for a different shape when you're sight reading.

For example I personally don't circle things to emphasize "importance" because to many that means cutting something out. So I use Squares to emphasize importance and Circles and Brackets with additional written notation to show tacets or cuts. I use #'s and b's to emphasize pitch because +'s and -"s aren't as clear when you're sightreading.

There are a number of other things I do but hopefully that brings across the point. I am very confident that when I give my book to someone else or the chart is pulled up later for someone else that they will never need to erase or add things to the music because my markings are very visible and make sense.

I find Ostrander and many other methods to be distracting to read for the first time when it comes to marking. For bass trombone I actually really like the Aharoni method of marking valve positions. For example low F would be marked V1 and low D would be marked VV1. Low Eb would be bV1. If a note needs to be sharp you make it a #V. 2V means second valve only.

It's super obvious V means one valve, two VV is clearly double valve, 2V is second valve only, b or # means pitch up or down. Done.

ttf_BGuttman

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm not a fan of referring the valve positions to regular tenor positions.  For example, low C is V6, not V7+.  Yes, you need to go to the very end of the slide for it, but that's still only the 6th position on an F trombone.
ttf_mr.deacon

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: BGuttman on Today at 11:26 AMI'm not a fan of referring the valve positions to regular tenor positions.  For example, low C is V6, not V7+.  Yes, you need to go to the very end of the slide for it, but that's still only the 6th position on an F trombone.
I agree with Bruce, I'd mark low C on first valve as bV7. Or maybe I'm not agreeing with Bruce?... like in the spirit of this thread I'm confused by your nomenclature Image

But also like I said earlier the + is super confusing... to me plus means # not b... it's much clearer to just use #'s and b's. There is literally no way to get those confused between each other.

ttf_robcat2075

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I think any system of notation for trigger positions needs to come with a graphic of the slide showing these in relation to the "regular" non-trigger positions.  Then you'll at least know what that author meant in that book.

After you have the 5 or 6 trigger positions learned, it doesn't matter whose notation system you encounter since you should be reading the notes and not the positions, right?  The final judgement is whether the desired pitch has been achieved, right?

Syllables, I dunno... it's hopeless. Even if you find an international standard to describe them someone pops up to assert that people in far off somewhereland make that same syllable sound in a totally different way that will ruin their trombone career.
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

QuoteQuoteSyllables, I dunno... it's hopeless. Even if you find an international standard to describe them someone pops up to assert that people in far off somewhereland make that same syllable sound in a totally different way that will ruin their trombone career. What is "international standard"? There are book written on many langugaes on trombone playing?
Italian, German, Danish?
Well...forget it.
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

mr.deacon your post is very nice and good, I do agree with everything.
But.
When I was young 50+ years ago, the M allways ment a major chord. You could also write Major or minor, the M was allways Major the m was allways minor.
Then came the triangel.
Then came the praxis to write M in Minor and in some sheet music M for minor. Very confusing for an old fart, the dyslexi does not really help. Image

Another thing about chords, I see chords like G7#4.  ??? is that a b5 or #11? Not the same thing in my mind.
ttf_Exzaclee

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

We don't use "M" or "m" anymore because of handwritten fonts... and some people who write by hand that can't consistently distinguish between the two. Now the preferred nomenclature, depending upon who you are engraving for, is "ma, maj or ∆" for major, "mi, min or -" for minor. And no more of that slash through the 7 thing meaning "major 7" that I see all over older lead sheets from europe. And definitely no "H".

G7(#4) (alterations should always be in parenthesis) is actually more correct than "b5" in many instances. "b5" implies a different scale. If you are really wanting something coming from the 4th mode of the melodic minor (G A B C# D E F G - D melodic minor, 4th mode - called the overtone scale or something like that) you can't call that a "b5" because if you look at the scale, it's not a b5. G7(#11) is actually preferred, but G7(#4) is often used to imply a voicing that won't use the 5, or will be voiced in closed positions. Pianists don't really care what you write as long as it's clear what you want. The change came about from the "b5" nomenclature implying a flatted 5th (not a raised 4th) but often being used in contexts where the accompanying scale has a regular 5 in it, which leads to confusion as to what the underlying chord scale is. A flatted 5th also implies a raised 5th - or in some cases, it implies the half-whole diminished (polytonal/octatonic) sound.
ttf_kbiggs

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Sep 05, 2017, 01:46AM
What is "international standard"? There are book written on many langugaes on trombone playing?
Italian, German, Danish?
Well...forget it.

Perhaps brass players should first take a course in the phonetic alphabet before deciding what kind of syllables to adopt for articulation.  Image

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Quote from: kbiggs on Sep 05, 2017, 06:39AMPerhaps brass players should first take a course in the phonetic alphabet before deciding what kind of syllables to adopt for articulation.  Image

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

Image Image Image
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Yes for me the G7(b5) could imply also a #5. A G7(#11) could use any scale with both D and C#.
If it is a chord the arrangement can have a D and a C# allmost allways one octave up.
A G7(b9) can use the half-whole tone diminished.
Quote(alterations should always be in parenthesis) yes that is right, many musicians I know are over 80 years old, They don´t care about the parenthesis.
ttf_robcat2075

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Sep 05, 2017, 01:46AM
What is "international standard"?

OK, since you ask... the International Phonetic Alphabet is one international standard for describing pronunciation.

I'm not claiming that is well-known or easy to use. It certainly is not.

But if describing something with an example in English, which is more widely used and spoken around the world than any other language on the planet, is immediately attacked as being too provincial and too obscure, I don't know what else to do except resort to an "international standard" of pronunciation.

It's a problem, but English is the closest thing we have to something everyone is familiar with, especially on a board that is run as an English-language board.

ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Quote from: robcat2075 on Sep 05, 2017, 07:08AMOK, since you ask... the International Phonetic Alphabet is one international standard for describing pronunciation.

I'm not claiming that is well-known or easy to use. It certainly is not.

But if describing something with an example in English, which is more widely used and spoken around the world than any other language on the planet, is immediately attacked as being too provincial and too obscure, I don't know what else to do except resort to an "international standard" of pronunciation.

It's a problem, but English is the closest thing we have to something everyone is familiar with, especially on a board that is run as an English-language board.

Ok so you say that international standard is the same, or built on "international standard of pronunciation" ?

Well.
ttf_kbiggs

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

The international phonetic alphabet is just another way that humans have tried to impose order out of the chaos of a myriad of noises we can make. Nothing right or wrong, good or bad, just...
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Quote from: kbiggs on Sep 05, 2017, 10:01PMThe international phonetic alphabet is just another way that humans have tried to impose order out of the chaos of a myriad of noises we can make. Nothing right or wrong, good or bad, just...

I tnink that is a nice try.
But I also think it is useless in trombone teaching.

It is like this.

Different languages and dialects use the moth tongue and even throat in different ways, some sound is easy for certain individuals difficlt for others.
It is a big misstake to believe that all good trombonists do use the same way of playing.
Trombone playing have a very long history. Good playing. Lots of different "wovels".

There is not one "the correct way" forget it.

I do believe that Doug Elliot, Sam Burtis, Chris Stearn and others has helped lots of players with problem, (I have too) but not in teaching the "Correct way" we are all different.
ttf_kbiggs

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Sep 06, 2017, 12:46AMI tnink that is a nice try.
But I also think it is useless in trombone teaching.

It is like this.

Different languages and dialects use the moth tongue and even throat in different ways, some sound is easy for certain individuals difficlt for others.
It is a big misstake to believe that all good trombonists do use the same way of playing.
Trombone playing have a very long history. Good playing. Lots of different "wovels".

There is not one "the correct way" forget it.

I do believe that Doug Elliot, Sam Burtis, Chris Stearn and others has helped lots of players with problem, (I have too) but not in teaching the "Correct way" we are all different.

I agree, Sven. Everybody has a different physical make-up. Sometimes I think teachers and students can focus on the process--the teacher who insists that students say the word "Tu," not "Too" or "Tuh" or "Tah," etc.--and forget that the end result is what counts. Process is important, but the sound is paramount.

Also, because we're all a little different, our perception of the world might be a little different, too. If you say "too," I might think that I am also saying "too," but compared to some artificially-imposed standard (the International Phonetic Alphabet I jokingly referred to above), I might actually be saying "tuh."

It's hard to think in concepts sometimes. And of course, I don't know of any teacher who can read student's minds, implant an idea, and manipulate a student's embouchure.  Image

In the meantime, we proceed with modeling and trial and error: "Try this..." and the teacher demonstrates, "Go for this sound..." and the teacher plays the horn.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I believe that a student should pick up his horn during a demo in a session and try to echo or emulate back to the instructor what the student just heard the instructor doing through his horn. That, supported by the verbal explanation - which may have a translation gap, depending.

At for the use of the term "partials", I believe it is a valuable term when evaluating a horn, as in "The partials line up nicely", or "The partials slot nicely". Otherwise - the use of say, "The 15th partial" is lost on me (just tell me what note it is, please) and sounds pretentious to me.

++++ Adding on to my own post here (as I sometimes will do). I believe the term "partial(s)" is a good generality term. For example: I think my vintage Conn 88H has more open slots in the higher partials than does my vintage King 4B/F.

...Geezer
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Sep 06, 2017, 08:04AMI believe that a student should pick up his horn during a demo in a session and try to echo or emulate back to the instructor what the student just heard the instructor doing through his horn. That, supported by the verbal explanation - which may have a translation gap, depending.

At for the use of the term "partials", I believe it is a valuable term when evaluating a horn, as in "The partials line up nicely", or "The partials slot nicely". Otherwise - the use of say, "The 15th partial" is lost on me (just tell me what note it is, please) and sounds pretentious to me.

++++ Adding on to my own post here (as I sometimes will do). I believe the term "partial(s)" is a good generality term. For example: I think my vintage Conn 88H has more open slots in the higher partials than does my vintage King 4B/F.

...Geezer

Yes Geezer, I agree with you, the " try to echo" method is the method, I call it the "monkey method" my self.

I don´t follw you about the partials (well to say the 15th partial is lost on me does sound very pretentious) I find it useful like playing t.ex. high F (super F) on 1st position or 2,5th position, on 12th partial or 13th partial.

Yes you use to talk about how the partials line up. Like my Alexander alto has flatt 3rd partial.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Lol. "Monkey method".  Image  I like that. Now that I am retired, I tell people I am still in business but now it's strictly monkey business.

I guess it's just me, but when I see guys throwing partials around to name notes, it's as pretentious-sounding to me as people who go ga-ga over bottles of fermented grape juice. Otherwise, as a general term, I think it's okay. But the term "slots" could work just as well; not so fancy-dancy sounding, though. lol I'm having trouble with the 15th slot on my horn.   Image

...Stick-in-the-mud Geezer
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

QuoteI guess it's just me, but when I see guys throwing partials around to name notes
But if I say that most modern trombones is sharp on the 6th partial, I am saying all 7 tones from "high" F down to B is sharp.
Well the 15th partial on all my trombones does not slot very good.
The "super" (or "super duper"? ) A down to D#.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Today at 06:45 AMBut if I say that most modern trombones is sharp on the 6th partial, I am saying all 7 tones from "high" F down to B is sharp.
Well the 15th partial on all my trombones does not slot very good.
The "super" (or "super duper"? ) A down to D#.

Image  I still have trouble with D5. It's only a part-time partial partial and I'm having trouble connecting it to the center of my lower slots.    Image

Okay, that was my own proprietary esoteric dingo-lingo nomenclature. I could translate it, but I don't have a "Partials Chart". Does anyone have a "Partials Chart" they could point to or upload so I could print it off and keep it at my computer desk, since that seems to be the current fad?

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

That's one thing that should be internationally used and understood. All this "soopuh-doopuh F" stuff is not helpful, especially for young students. A beginner might think of   Image Image as a "high F". Someone on day one might think  Image Image is low Bb and  Image Image is high Bb. These terms are relative to the player, and imply a level of difficulty or prestige which is not helpful. Sure, I call F5  Image Image a high F. But I also can identify it by it's octave number to avoid confusion.

It's not a hard system to learn -- each octave starts at C, and C4 is middle C on the great staff.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Today at 07:30 AMThat's one thing that should be internationally used and understood. All this "soopuh-doopuh F" stuff is not helpful, especially for young students. A beginner might think of   Image Image as a "high F". Someone on day one might think  Image Image is low Bb and  Image Image is high Bb. These terms are relative to the player, and imply a level of difficulty or prestige which is not helpful. Sure, I call F5  Image Image a high F. But I also can identify it by it's octave number to avoid confusion.

It's not a hard system to learn -- each octave starts at C, and C4 is middle C on the great staff.

So, if one were to devise a "Partials Chart", it would start at C4? Why not C1? So "low C" for bass trombone players is a C2? Then pedal C is a C1? Where are the double-pedals?

But I don't see people using a letter/number designation. All I see are number designations. What am I (and maybe a lot of others who are too scared to comment) missing?

...Geezer
ttf_MrPillow

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Partial numbers are unrelated to Scientific Pitch Notation.

C4 is always C4, and has nothing to do with what partial it is or isn't. Partial numbers are determined by the overtone sequence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)#Partial
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Nomenclature

C4=  Image Image
C3=  Image Image
C2=  Image Image one octave lower
C1=  Image Image two octaves lower.

there is a C0, and I believe it goes into the negatives, but those notes are not on a piano or often played by any instrument

partials start on pedal Bb. That's partial 1. Bb an octave higher is partial 2, partial 3 is F, etc. The scientific notation goes by octave and works for any instrument. Partials have no relationship with scientific notation.
ttf_Exzaclee

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

We used, what, 3 different pitch designation systems when I did my undergrad? I don't bother when it'll be changed the next time some pedantic eastman grad decides to write another theory book.

Everyone should know where middle C is. I refer to everything in relation to that. If I say "tune to the Bb one whole step below middle C" there should be no confusion. If there is, I'll show them where this note is on the piano, where it is on the horn, and we can move along.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Thanks guys!

So a SPECIFIC pitch must always be a letter/number designation. That works. IOW's, if I wanted to designate a D that is one octave above a step above middle C, it would be D5? That simple?

Quote from: Exzaclee on Today at 07:49 AMWe used, what, 3 different pitch designation systems when I did my undergrad? I don't bother when it'll be changed the next time some pedantic eastman grad decides to write another theory book.

Everyone should know where middle C is. I refer to everything in relation to that. If I say "tune to the Bb one whole step below middle C" there should be no confusion. If there is, I'll show them where this note is on the piano, where it is on the horn, and we can move along.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Nomenclature

Yes, one octave above C4 is C5, and the D next to that is D5.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Today at 08:03 AMYes, one octave above C4 is C5, and the D next to that is D5.

Got it!  Image Every pitch is a letter/number designation in relationship to middle C as both Harrison, Zac and Mr Pillow (sorry if I forgot anyone else) pointed out. What could be easier? Why all the confusion? lol

I have to go practice my C2!!!!!!! I'll need it in some tunes I am arranging. Oops! I forgot; I'm not allowed to use the term "arranging". I'm, er, um, ah, messing with.   Image  Embellishing! That's the nomenclature. lol

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The letter-number with C4 as Middle C seems to be popular, but there have been several other systems.  One uses C as Middle C, CC as an octave lower, c as an octave higher, and you add ' to the lower case c's for each octave up and more C's to the capital C for each octave down.

And there were other letter-number scales.

You look at old texts on arranging or theory and you can get dizzy from the different ways of expressing a note.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 03:12 PMThe letter-number with C4 as Middle C seems to be popular, but there have been several other systems.  One uses C as Middle C, CC as an octave lower, c as an octave higher, and you add ' to the lower case c's for each octave up and more C's to the capital C for each octave down.

And there were other letter-number scales.

You look at old texts on arranging or theory and you can get dizzy from the different ways of expressing a note.

Lol. THAT's easy! I'm dizzy and in a tizzy now over the ways specific notes are expressed. I have to have an alto chart, a tenor chart and even a treble chart at my computer desk, as well as an open link to the Wikipedia site on "partials".  Image

Glad I'm not a violin player!  Image

...Geezer
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

F5 is F5, if played on #1. position on a Bb trombone it the 12th partial, if played on #2,5. position its the 13th partial, played on the #4. postition it is the 14th partial, if played on a Bb trumpet on the open horn it is the 6th partial. If played on a Eb alto on #1. position it is the 9th partial.

All the pedals is first partial.

The dubblepedals is another story. Image

I am sorry to make troubble for you, this is another difference between countries. I Sweden most trombone players are fully awere about the partials. Different school system I guess.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Today at 07:06 AMF5 is F5, if played on #1. position on a Bb trombone it the 12th partial, if played on #2,5. position its the 13th partial, played on the #4. postition it is the 14th partial, if played on a Bb trumpet on the open horn it is the 6th partial. If played on a Eb alto on #1. position it is the 9th partial.

All the pedals is first partial.

The dubblepedals is another story. Image

I am sorry to make troubble for you, this is another difference between countries. I Sweden most trombone players are fully awere about the partials. Different school system I guess.

Lol. It's certainly no trouble for the likes of me! I now get  the note-naming convention that should  be used, based upon middle C.

But as far as partials are concerned, I don't get it and I don't get why I even should  get it - for what I  want to do on my  level in my  remaining lifetime. Now, if I was a young man and a music major with a lifetime of music theory and symphonic studies ahead of him, then he darn well better make it his business to understand them AND all the clefs AND everything else anyone can come up with in the world of music theory & performance.

So let this be a lesson to all you aspiring trombone youths out there! 'Bone up on all this nomenclature stuff in all of the ways it gets presented and represented b/c in your  lifetime, you're  gonna need it!  Image

...Geezer
ttf_Exzaclee

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Today at 07:34 AMBut as far as partials are concerned, I don't get it and I don't get why I even should  get it -

Because there are more than 7 positions.

High Bb in first sings on most horns. Most... on some 2Bs, if you don't tune sharp, that note is a tooth breaker. On most all horns, Bb in 3rd works better for slide technique and tuning in certain keys.

F (4th above middle C) in 6th is necessary for slide glissando... F in 4th makes certain passages lay better on the horn, and tunes/slots better in certain keys/chords.

All these notes feel remarkably different than their "normal" positions because of the partial they lay in. What Sven is discussing is necessary for dialing in alternate positions. Personally, I would still say "F above middle C in 4th position" rather than "7th partial F" - but understanding how the 7th partial in the overtone series tunes naturally (and compared to the well tempered system we use now) helps you conceptualize what you need to do to get the note to come out right the first time without having to adjust post-attack. Is it necessary for farting around at home for fun? No. For playing in an ensemble? I find it pretty helpful in that regard.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Today at 11:30 AMBecause there are more than 7 positions.

High Bb in first sings on most horns. Most... on some 2Bs, if you don't tune sharp, that note is a tooth breaker. On most all horns, Bb in 3rd works better for slide technique and tuning in certain keys.

F (4th above middle C) in 6th is necessary for slide glissando... F in 4th makes certain passages lay better on the horn, and tunes/slots better in certain keys/chords.

All these notes feel remarkably different than their "normal" positions because of the partial they lay in. What Sven is discussing is necessary for dialing in alternate positions. Personally, I would still say "F above middle C in 4th position" rather than "7th partial F" - but understanding how the 7th partial in the overtone series tunes naturally (and compared to the well tempered system we use now) helps you conceptualize what you need to do to get the note to come out right the first time without having to adjust post-attack. Is it necessary for farting around at home for fun? No. For playing in an ensemble? I find it pretty helpful in that regard.

Okay. But I already employ those positions for those notes (and others) for the reasons you mentioned and I don't know Jack about partials. lol I just like to play notes where they work the best in a run and/or where they tend to sound the best if they are important. I think that is good trombone-playing; always has been and probably always will be. I'll wager that a lot of great old-time trombone-players didn't even know the word "partial", or cared.

Anyway, I think I understand the theory part you are driving at. Why is it if I am playing alone at home, I am "farting around", but if I play in a group, it's real? It's always real, man! I take my fun at home seriously! lol

...Geezer 
ttf_greenbean

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I think any brass player should learn the harmonic series and should learn as much about how their horn works as possible.  Besides, it is fun to dig into it.  Woodwind players mostly ignore it and are just fine...
ttf_ddickerson

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

In the least, if you understand partials, when the topic turns to partials, you will understand what people are talking about, and you stand a great chance of learning something. I believe the more info the better.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

No learning haters! I suggest that anyone (like me - and I bet there are plenty!) who doesn't get the concept to at least read through the Wikipedia links provided earlier. Bookmarked!

...Geezer
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Go for it Tim!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Not to confuse you, but in the Netherlands we learn the Helmholtz pitch notation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_pitch_notation

The scientific pitch notation makes more sense to me.
ttf_svenlarsson

Nomenclature

Quote from: Ted on Yesterday at 11:17 PMNot to confuse you, but in the Netherlands we learn the Helmholtz pitch notation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_pitch_notation

The scientific pitch notation makes more sense to me.

Yes Ted, actually it is what we learn(ed) in Sweden too. It still lingers on with older musicians, the younger goes with the scientific pitch notation.

I believe in the Netherlands like in Sweden you have/hade the tone H?
A chromatic downgoing scale down from C goes C H B A Ab G Gb F E Eb D Db C. A sharpend H is H#, a flattend H i B.

Well, do you still think the nomenclature is difficult? Image

Actually in a conference 1987 we decided that from now (1987) we say Bb and H, after 10 years from now we say Bb and B like it should be from the begining.

You know what, it is still a problem here!  Image  Image
ttf_Ted

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_Ted »

No, I only know the "H" because of some old German music.

We use the Letter notation. However, in Belgium it's still common to use the Solfège instead of Letters. Our Flemish conductor always get weird looks when he uses those in our wind band. 
ttf_BGuttman

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Also common in French music.  I have to constantly think what key the piece is in from the title.  Ut is C, Re is D, Mi is E, Fa is F, Sol is G, La is A, Si is B.  Also Bemol is minor.
ttf_BGuttman

Nomenclature

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Also common in French music.  I have to constantly think what key the piece is in from the title.  Ut is C, Re is D, Mi is E, Fa is F, Sol is G, La is A, Si is B.  Also Bemol is minor.

Return to “Pedagogy”