Gaining more control

ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

Gaining more control

Post by ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ »

So we're getting a lot of new additions to the trombone section this year. I know this probably shouldn't freak me out, but in the past, I haven't had much luck with teaching. Whenever I step up, no one listens to me and just starts goofing around and refuses to practice. I'm not sure if I should get mad or just not do anything, but this always frustrates me, especially when we have a performance coming up. How can I prevent this?  Image
ttf_afugate

Gaining more control

Post by ttf_afugate »

Are these additions beginners?

When I work with younger students, I find that time boxing helps to keep students from becoming restless and bored.  (Time boxing working on specific things in small chunks of time.) Beginners become bored and distracted very quickly, so I try to limit things to about 5 minutes for each time box.

Making exercises into games is also good for keeping kids focused, as is a small time set aside for "show off" time.  If I'm doing a regular daily schedule with a group I will use Friday as "Show off Friday" where kids can play anything they want for the rest of the group.  The idea here is to encourage kids to feel good about their playing, so it doesn't matter what they play as long as it's short.  Ideally, it's something they've been asked to practice during class at some point.

Good luck and keep us posted.  Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Gaining more control

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Well... you are in high school, correct? The new people entering your section are your peers. You shouldn't want or try to gain control of them. I know it seems like the different grades in school have different levels of authority, but they don't. Everyone in high school, regardless of grade, is peers with everyone else in the school. It's not like when you are employed and your boss has the power to fire you or raise your pay.

When I was in school, I had bossy bosses who thought they were gonna "teach" me how to play. I "knew" better. It's actually an instance of the blind trying to lead the blind, and the foolish thinking they know better than the bossy bosses. All this is to say:

If you treat your entire section as if everyone is peers, and keep it friendly, everyone will have a better time, learn from eachother, and might even want to play better. So what if someone is on first trombone? The third and second parts are usually more important. If everyone in the section could realize that, you'd be anazed how much better the section can sound.

So, I think the right thing to do is to just build cohesion and friendships in your section. You've been playing trombone for less than a year, so forget about teaching your peers for now. School is a time to make friends. You don't need to have seniority or responsibility over your peers -- better things happen when everyone respects eachother as equals in a school setting
ttf_BGuttman

Gaining more control

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

What the two posters above me have been saying is that your approach should be "how can we  accomplish XYZ" rather than "Do this and don't ask questions".

Some of those incoming freshmen may have had lessons and may be playing longer than you.  If they have suggestions, listen.  If their ideas are good, adopt them and give them credit.  Don't be afraid to learn yourself.

When you are working in sectionals, have some fun stuff to do.  Find some easy songs in 3 or 4 parts and play together.  Learn to listen to each other.

Good luck and above all have fun.
ttf_BGuttman

Gaining more control

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

What the two posters above me have been saying is that your approach should be "how can we  accomplish XYZ" rather than "Do this and don't ask questions".

Some of those incoming freshmen may have had lessons and may be playing longer than you.  If they have suggestions, listen.  If their ideas are good, adopt them and give them credit.  Don't be afraid to learn yourself.

When you are working in sectionals, have some fun stuff to do.  Find some easy songs in 3 or 4 parts and play together.  Learn to listen to each other.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Return to “Pedagogy”