Trombone equivalent to Claude Gordon, Cat Anderson and Roy Stevens (trumpet)

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

So what would be the trombone equivalent to the above trumpet embouchure development (with emphasis on efficient set up and expanding register? Is there any substantial differences?
ttf_William Lang

Post by ttf_William Lang »

ahhhh reading comprehension...

anyways - cool to know there's a low brass version of the book - the trumpet version is still good to read from though - the lessons are transferable across the brass family, i believe.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 08, 2017, 02:26PMSo what would be the trombone equivalent to the above trumpet embouchure development

the trombone equivalent of the Claude Gordon trumpet method

ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Copy Skip Layton.  Check him out on Kenton's 1947 Machito.  That's him battling with Buddy Childers at the end for the highest note.  If you can't copy Skip, well, the first part of winning is to choose your race. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kenton+machito&&view=detail&mid=B4E570F0DB985DFCCC79B4E570F0DB985DFCCC79&FORM=VRDGAR

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I think you would have to ask Dave Steinmeyer.

Just listen to his ending on "Through The Eyes Of Love":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdiQ2X2nC_o

Von is pretty good also and there are some lessons on high notes shown below the video.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

The famous unfurling of the lips, used by some trumpet lead trumpeters - I tried to implemented on my tenor playing, so far a complete failure - I guess that the rim size is just too large for that - anyone opinions on that?
ttf_William Lang

Post by ttf_William Lang »

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 12, 2017, 02:58PMThe famous unfurling of the lips, used by some trumpet lead trumpeters - I tried to implemented on my tenor playing, so far a complete failure - I guess that the rim size is just too large for that - anyone opinions on that?

yeah don't do that
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 12, 2017, 02:58PMThe famous unfurling of the lips, used by some trumpet lead trumpeters - I tried to implemented on my tenor playing, so far a complete failure - I guess that the rim size is just too large for that - anyone opinions on that?

Have you tried that on your trumpet?

Actually I have tried it on trombone in the 60s, it worked a limited way. The problem wasn´t the rim but the sound and low range. In those days I tried lots of strange things. Man of those thing on trombone.

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Jun 14, 2017, 12:43AMHave you tried that on your trumpet?
Yes, it works for me on trumpet. It took me some experimenting practice, but I found it helpful. However, on my SS tenor 7C it just feels weird, the mouthpiece has a very little contact with the unfurled tissue, so it hinders more that it helps.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Jun 14, 2017, 12:43AMHave you tried that on your trumpet?
Yes, it works for me on trumpet. It took me some experimenting practice, but I found it helpful. However, on my SS tenor 7C it just feels weird, the mouthpiece has a very little contact with the unfurled tissue, so it hinders more that it helps.

Return to “Pedagogy”