Mouthpiece Buzzing

ttf_anonymous

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone My name is Dillon Dingwell and I'm a masters student at SMU for trombone performance. I have been working on a research paper for one of my classes about mouthpiece buzzing  and it's affectiveness as a practice technique. For my paper I have made a survey that asks about ones thoughts about buzzing to gather hard data on this subject. Please feel free to take the survey I have posted a link below. Thanks for all your help!

https://smu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmp6BkcDvn5z5R3
ttf_Geezerhorn

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Dillon Dingwell on May 09, 2017, 11:44AMHello everyone My name is Dillon Dingwell and I'm a masters student at SMU for trombone performance. I have been working on a research paper for one of my classes about mouthpiece buzzing  and it's affectiveness as a practice technique. For my paper I have made a survey that asks about ones thoughts about buzzing to gather hard data on this subject. Please feel free to take the survey I have posted a link below. Thanks for all your help!

https://smu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmp6BkcDvn5z5R3

I never really thought of it that way before. I guess some of us do get quite emotional over this subject, though.

...Geezer
ttf_Doug Elliott

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Mouthpiece buzzing is like drinking beer.

A lot of people do it, and swear by it.

I don't, and I've done pretty well without it.
ttf_SilverBone

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Doug, you've done pretty well without beer????   Image
ttf_ALT

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_ALT »

What do they say about drinking beer and playing an instrument? Doesn't make you play better, but it can make you think that you are going to play better...
ttf_bonenick

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I've done some, sometimes I go back to it, but unless for fixing intonation issues, I cannot bring any hard evidence that it made me play better. BTW, singing and humming is doing the same job, if not better Image
ttf_bonearzt

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

I use it as a warm up when driving to a rehearsal or gig,  helps wake/warm up the chops.

Eric

ttf_trombonemetal

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Quote from: bonenick on May 10, 2017, 01:03AMI've done some, sometimes I go back to it, but unless for fixing intonation issues, I cannot bring any hard evidence that it made me play better. BTW, singing and humming is doing the same job, if not better Image

This! There are better ways to work on everything that don't mess with my chops.
ttf_timothy42b

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: ALT on May 10, 2017, 12:27AMWhat do they say about drinking beer and playing an instrument? Doesn't make you play better, but it can make you think that you are going to play better...

Beer is fairly neutral I think, but Diet Coke can ruin a performance.

I used to play with a small German style big band that did a lot of Oktoberfest and dinner type engagements, and there was usually free beer.  We always played fine.

One of those jobs was a long drive and I stuck to Diet Coke.  Amazing, just one person drinking Diet Coke affected the whole band.  As the night got late, we were missing entrances, second endings, key signatures, getting sloppy about articulations, etc.  We never did that when we were all drinking beer.

<PS I guess I'd better explicitly say this story is true but intended as tongue in cheek>

<PPS I no longer have even one beer if I'm going to drive.>
ttf_tbathras

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: timothy42b on May 10, 2017, 05:35AMWe never did that when we were all drinking beer.

ttf_svenlarsson

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I could tell you a lot about drinking beer and playing music, some do it, some doesn´t and some do it to much, the same with mpc buzzing.  Image

Some players I know never do mpc buzzing, and play very good. Some do it moderately and play very good, some do it very much and play very good.

I do it very little, do not relly know if it doing some good, I tend to concur with bonenick, sing or humming is very good. I am not sure the mpc buzzing makes my embouchure better.

But as said above, some very good players swear by it.
ttf_hyperbolica

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Not to open a different can of worms, but I find buzzing without the mouthpiece has helped me with high range, strength, and sound consistency. I've used mouthpiece buzzing as a diagnostic tool, to make sure I'm buzzing the same pitch I'm trying to play. At one point, with the help of a teacher, I found I was buzzing consistently higher than the desired pitch, which caused intonation problems and cracked notes.
ttf_blast

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_blast »

Mouthpiece buzzing is not like drinking beer.... I do both and can tell the difference.

Chris Stearn
ttf_bonenick

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: blast on May 10, 2017, 01:43PMMouthpiece buzzing is not like drinking beer.... I do both and can tell the difference.

Chris Stearn

Image Image Image Finally, someone got it right. Sure, I can agree with you at least about one.
ttf_bonenick

Mouthpiece Buzzing

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: blast on May 10, 2017, 01:43PMMouthpiece buzzing is not like drinking beer.... I do both and can tell the difference.

Chris Stearn

Image Image Image Finally, someone got it right. Sure, I can agree with you at least about one.

Return to “Pedagogy”