Returning from Focal Dystonia

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello people, maybe many of you still didn't listen about Focal Dystonia but.. first, don't judge nobody cuz that's a worst thing that can happen to a Musician.

(Link to watch trombone player with dystonia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dorJ-0OwaA )

What happen to me was really hard to accept, but fallin down from Professional Trombone player to a disaster trombone player was really painful.

I meet many people that try to "teach me" .. and make me pay really much, like 200$ per hour!!! But that's not the solution!

Here are 2 Experts that can help you:
1. prof. Joaquin Fabra - Spain
2. prof. Jan Kagarice - Usa

Interesting for me after I get many advices was some videos that i found in one Youtube Channel about Trombones called " Trombone Daily "
There was many Lessons from Lindberg which was perfect for me to take up my embouchure again.
Ian Bousfield concept and lessons was similar and really helpful for me too.

So, i encourage to visit this playlist and you will find really good explains about playing correctly and to avoid troubles.

Trombone Daily: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcPSxEO-LrEg_gYzsfv3sksAR6KRQeW-Z

Feel free to reply if you want any information or if u are trombone player with Dystonia.

All the best.

ttf_Wilktone

Post by ttf_Wilktone »

Sorry to hear about your embouchure issues, D1ssonant. I wish you a speedy recovery.

In the past, folks who have an embouchure breakdown tended to not be very public about it. Today, these issues are better known about. There have been a number of high profile players who struggled with an embouchure breakdown at the peak of their career. Some never return to playing, while others have made partial or complete recoveries.

I caution everyone to seek medical advice for neurological issues. Some who claim expertise in embouchure dystonia don't have a medical background and while they may be good at helping, it's dishonest to claim they treat dystonia. Better to say they are teaching embouchure technique.

Another one to add to your list is Doug Elliott, who is a moderator here. While Doug has never claimed to treat embouchure dystonia, he is quite successful in helping players recover from embouchure troubles.

Dave
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I want to point out also that there are two emouchure destroying illnesses: Bell's Palsy and Focal Distonia.  They are different and need different treatments.  A medical professional should always be consulted.

I have a friend who developed Bell's Palsy and had to stop playing trombone.  She now plays cello, but really misses trombone.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

When the player on that video was doing well, you could see a very clear and consistent track of mouthpiece motion, up and to the left to ascend and the reverse to descend.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Quote from: Wilktone on Jan 29, 2018, 08:09AM
I caution everyone to seek medical advice for neurological issues. Some who claim expertise in embouchure dystonia don't have a medical background and while they may be good at helping, it's dishonest to claim they treat dystonia. Better to say they are teaching embouchure technique.
Likewise, neurologists know nothing about embouchure function and should not be giving advice about that either.

"Embouchure dystonia" is undefined, diagnosed only by symptoms, and I believe is rarely caused by a neurological problem.

I have had good success helping people come back from serious problems like that, including players who have been diagnosed by others.

In my opinion, the term has more legal and financial implications than medical.

ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

I have written here often about "Focal Dystonia" and brass players. I believe it to be way over-diagnosed. The player in that video? He has simply lost his timing. He doesn't set his embouchure before he blows, thus the air sound as he finds and sets his embouchure. There are other videos on Youtube of brass players who have a true muscular quiver in their chops when they try to play. If you want to label that as focal dystonia I have no objection, but this player has lost the habitual, reflexive timing that is necessary to start a note...probably for long enough to also have lost some of the strength in his embouchure musculature as well.

S.

ttf_MikeyBonez

Post by ttf_MikeyBonez »

Quote from: sabutin on Jan 29, 2018, 09:55AMI have written here often about "Focal Dystonia" and brass players. I believe it to be way over-diagnosed. The player in that video? He has simply lost his timing. He doesn't set his embouchure before he blows, thus the air sound as he finds and sets his embouchure. There are other videos on Youtube of brass players who have a true muscular quiver in their chops when they try to play. If you want to label that as focal dystonia I have no objection, but this player has lost the habitual, reflexive timing that is necessary to start a note...probably for long enough to also have lost some of the strength in his embouchure musculature as well.

That is a very insightful and plausible counterpoint.  Image
ttf_Doug Elliott

Exactly, that "technique" of slamming the mouthpiece on as you blow is the CAUSE of that problem, not the result.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Exactly, that "technique" of slamming the mouthpiece on as you blow is the CAUSE of that problem, not the result.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”