Purchasing a first Trombone?

ttf_Chromium

Post by ttf_Chromium »

I've been playing trombone since the 6th grade and I'm about halfway in my 11th grade school year playing trombone. I have been playing school instruments as I cannot (yet) afford my own horn. I mostly play the Tenor (F-Attachment type) and I am now new to the Bass Trombone family as I want to expand my skills as a player. I want to join my high school's marching band next year and would also like to buy my own horn. The thing is, money is lacking and I am on a budget, I'd say 600 dollars max for a horn. So far, I have put in hours of search time for horns on sites like Amazon, Ebay, Instrumentsavings, and some others to find the best per dollar trombone to buy. Reading reviews has also been a heavy factor and checking topics of some of the brands and names on this site for insight as to what I will expect are keys too. I am looking for a good, new horn for a friendly budget. So far, I have found a few that are potential that I might aim for.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/allora-aatb-202f-series-intermediate-trombone

I believe I have seen negative reviews of this Allora Trombone somewhere with a 2-Star rating but this site is higher rated, but would want more of them to make a solid decision.

https://www.instrumentalsavings.com/product/novello-ntb-7f-tenor-trombone-with-f-attachment-includes-free-maintenance-kit/

This one has had my eye for a while because it looks nice, it's affordable, has a good rating, but still, not enough detail. Personally, I have never heard of Novello and never saw this brand have its own site, so I don't know about the quality of this brand, so I would like you to give me some pointers and details on that if possible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-Bb-F-Tenor-STERLING-Trombone-Brand-New-With-Case-and-Accessories/311502192650?hash=item4886fa400a:g:X2EAAOSwcOFWaUbe

As you can guess, my favorite color is blue and about looks, I am in love with this horn. After further research, I believe this horn is made by Moz and aftermarket finished by Sterling (Not the one that makes good euphoniums and other horns) this brand is in Australia. I don't know about the quality, seems sketchy, but I'd like more insight to it too.

Any help or suggestions?

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Get a decent used horn for that price, it will be better than any of those shiny new trombone shaped objects. Spend money on lessons, music books, concerts, etc. Don't waste your money on junk. Get a teacher or parent involved in this, not a bunch of people you don't know on some internet forum.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I agree with Hyperbolica.  A lot of what you are looking at may look pretty but either won't play well or will fall apart quickly (or both).

What instrument are you borrowing from your school?  Could you afford a used one?  That might be where to start.

We have several reputable sellers of used instruments as members of the Forum.  One is DJ Kennedy who has a house full (literally) of used trombones that may not be beautiful but will play well.  He also has an uncanny knack to match player with instrument.  He has a lot of posts in the Classified Ads that may be a little difficult to understand but I believe he talks a lot straighter if you call him.  He's located in Illinois right across the river from St. Louis.

Our Classifieds are instruments being sold by Forum members and might be another source of instruments.  Most of us are pretty honest about what we are selling (Hyperbolica being one).

For a used instrument you can get a pro level horn in fair shape; something that will play much better than any of the new Chinese or Indian junk that you are looking at.

I haven't seen ANYTHING about that Australian company.  Hope somebody here has some information about them.
ttf_Chromium

Post by ttf_Chromium »

The school horns I use that are both school horns are the Blessing USA Tenor Trombone with the F Attachment, and the Holton TR183 Bass Trombone.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Blessing B88s come up pretty regularly.  There was just one on the Classifieds which may have been sold but was within your price point.

Some brands that are not current that you can look for in used:

Benge 190, 290 Bass
Holton 150, 158 Tenor
Olds Opera
Reynolds

The King 4B-F is a great large bore tenor and the 6B, 7B, and 8B are all great basses.

The Yamaha line are really good players, even the 3xx and 4xx models.
ttf_Chromium

Post by ttf_Chromium »

The Blessing B88 huh. That might be my best option. Budget is a serious one on this one, wish I could aim for the higher ones.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

B88 is not a bad instrument if it is in good shape.  I know a bunch of Community players using them.

I doubt you will even find a single valve bass for your price point.  But you should be able to play most of the notes on a trigger tenor; especially in a school ensemble.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

As others said must get your teacher and parent involved and talk to DJ!
ttf_Chromium

Post by ttf_Chromium »

Well, I'm not looking for a Bass as I am still novice with it, and pretty much only going the F-key tenor route.
ttf_sirisobhakya

Post by ttf_sirisobhakya »

Since you want to join a marching band, expect that your horn will have to bear wear and tear from the marching. So it is not quite a good idea to buy your own horn now. Does the marching band have a horn for you to borrow?

Moreover, buying from those brands is not worth your money. Why spend $200-400 for a horn that is going to fall apart and then you have to pay another $400 or more for another horn, or $100-200 just to repair it to be barely playable?
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Somebody just posted a B88 on this forum for $425 plus shipping.  Not super shiny, but great bang for the buck.  Much better bang that an shiny new import of very questionable quality.
ttf_Chromium

Post by ttf_Chromium »

Well, If I don't end up buying my own horn and join Marching Band, I'll still be able to use my school horns there as many students have school owned marching brass too.
ttf_Bjroosevelt

Post by ttf_Bjroosevelt »

If you haven’t bought a horn yet, definitely contact DJ Kennedy.  He had a shiny used .525 with an F-trigger for less than $600.  Used is definitely the way to go.  Used horn is definitely of better value than new....
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Ebay is awash with good used instruments. I agree that used is gonna be the best deal.

When purchasing my first trombone I tried to avoid the urge to buy Chinese. Although some like Allora and Jean Paul USA go through a US inspection, I just couldn't beat the good older brands that are out there and still in great shape.

I'm not in the same market as you for a purchase. But I am positive of the used selection and meeting your needs by far.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I agree with what everyone else is saying look for a good used tenor with an F-attachment, have your teacher help with the decision.  Especially your choice of bore size.  A medium Bore is a great all around horn for someone who can only own one horn, but if you have aspirations of being a bass trombonist you might want to go the large bore trombone route for your first horn.  This is where some advice and a review of your trombone goals with you band instructor, or private teacher is really required.  A good condition used Tenor is a great way to save money and most of the big name brands (Yamaha, Conn, Blessing, Benge, Bach, King, Holton, etc.) can be bought used in your price range if your patient and wait for the right horn to come up, may not be pretty but lacquer is only cosmetic, and if the slide is in good shape and there are no major dents, you can find a good playing horn in the $600 range, if you are not in a big hurry take your time and save a little more.  PS:  Don't March with your personal horn, use the schools, if possible keep your personal horn at home and use the schools for everything there, you won't have to worry about someone bumping into or stepping on it etc. 
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Get a Blessing B88.  I bought one used for a great price a few years ago and it has done me very well.

They often come up here on TTF and/or eBay and unless it's in really bad shape, most are great bargains. Mine came from Texas, which seems to have flooded with them at one time. Even if the rotary valve needs cleaning and replacement of the string linkage as mine did, it usually doesn't cost much.  Besides on older horns, I much prefer the string linkage because they're quieter.  Many older mechanical linkages get very noisy as they age.

B88s are your best bet for finding an inexpensive large bore Fattchment horn that plays well and won't fall apart.

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Don't get that blue trombone, man. Don't do it. You'd regret it sooner or later, but probably sooner, you're in the 11th grade -- no way is a blue metal trombone cool in high school. A pink pBone covered in racy stickers and grafitti... maybe, (saw one in a ska band, with stickers of demons, and the guy could really play -- I admit it was cool) ...but not that blue one.

Get a Wessex or a B88
ttf_MikeyBonez

Post by ttf_MikeyBonez »

Speaking from experience, as you are leaving high school you might think that playing the trombone is something that will be with you throughout your life.

That was not the case with me, I can't say for you. College, career, marriage, children, and other things soak up most of your life. Squeezing in luxury time for something like trombone playing is difficult and you may find something that you like better.

When I graduated high school in 1980 my music teacher was also retiring to Florida, so I was able to buy his nice 1963 Conn 88H from him for $175 that I still have. It sat unplayed for long stretches of time and only recently have I returned to it now that I am nearing retirement. So whatever you buy now, you may want to consider it in that light, and its possible resale value in 10 or 20 years.

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I'm sure my story isn't unique.

ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

A few of things to consider:

1) If you're still tempted by the blue fleabay special, ask yourself what happens if you run into a problem and end up needing warranty service? Typically (as in 99% of the time), with off-brand instruments, you have to ship it back to the retailer or mfg at your expense (which is very likely to be higer than the fleabay shipping price of US$155), and they pay return shipping. Also, based on the stated 3-7 business day delivery time, are you willing to be without your 'bone for a minimum of 3-4 weeks? And even if they let you get it repaired locally and reimburse you, do you have access to a repair tech who will work on clone instruments (many won't); and if you do, how long will it take to get replacement parts (assuming they're even available)?

2) If, despite (1), you're still tempted to take a flyer on the Sterling because of the 30 day money-back guarantee, note that the buyer pays the return shipping costs. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be willing to pay $155 just to test blow a no-name, nondescript instrument from a company whose primary, if not sole, marketing channel appears to be fleabay, on the off chance that it's a keeper.

3) If you're dead set on having a splash of blue (or another color), get a Kelly mouthpiece, instead. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than any of the TSO, and they're great for marching and playing outdoor in late fall/winter.

4) The Sterling, Novello, and Allora are low end beginner/student instruments. There's simply no market for what are, essentially, throw-away instruments, so if (when) the time comes to step up to an intermediate or pro horn (or a bass), neither the Sterling and Novello horns will have any resale value, and it's highly likely that the Allora won't either. In contrast, there is a healthy used market for instruments of proven quality. Assuming you take care of it, you will likely be able to sell a used B88, Benge 190, Conn, Yammy, King #B, Olds, Reynolds, etc. for close to, if not more than, what you paid for it.

5) As others have urged, talk to DJ.
ttf_norbie2009

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

I just noticed a Getsen Eterna 725 for sale on the forum for around $650. That's an 8.5 inch bell section with attachment and a dual bore .525/.547 slide. May be just what you are looking for.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Get a good used horn here where the sellers have a good rep and are known by pretty much everyone else on the forum. Look at Wessex also for a new horn that has had the work put in to make sure it’s something a musician would play, not just a colored lacquer trombone analogue.

There are some nice cases with blue interiors or have nice blue accents on the exterior.

Kelly makes lexan mouthpieces in a variety of eye catching colors that are great to keep in a bag for a backup or for cold weather or for practice.

Or after you get a solid horn you could get a cheap eBay special or salvage a King 606 or similar and have the inside of the bell painted your choice. I always liked to stand out when in pep band on the bleachers.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Get a good used horn here where the sellers have a good rep and are known by pretty much everyone else on the forum. Look at Wessex also for a new horn that has had the work put in to make sure it’s something a musician would play, not just a colored lacquer trombone analogue.

There are some nice cases with blue interiors or have nice blue accents on the exterior.

Kelly makes lexan mouthpieces in a variety of eye catching colors that are great to keep in a bag for a backup or for cold weather or for practice.

Or after you get a solid horn you could get a cheap eBay special or salvage a King 606 or similar and have the inside of the bell painted your choice. I always liked to stand out when in pep band on the bleachers.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”