Tuning Problem on my valve trombone

ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

My question is whether or not I can adjust my upper register tuning with my embouchure or do I need to bite the bullet and move to a slide trombone where I can tune every note.

When I tune with the band we use the lower and middle registers notes to tune. (Often Bb). After a couple of years of playing into my tuner and recording my scales and playing back into my tuner I have been able to find the best setting for my main tuning slide at room temperature. My problem is that through attrition as much as talent I am playing 1st trombone and find first of all that there is much less room for an embouchure adjustment past a high G and that with my current tuning slide position most of my high notes are flat. (Except high C that has a alternate of open valve instead of 1st valve). If I move in my tuning slide I can get within the tuner's range but of course are then sharp when I come back down. I would like to know if any other valve trombone players have this problem.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

You aren't alone.  When you start to get into the higher overtones, you may need to use alternative fingerings to get notes in tune.  On euphonium, the horn I used to play needed to play  Image Image with 1+2 to get it in tune a lot of the time.  Some valved players get a little kick lever that is operated with your pinky. It moves the main tuning slide so you can adjust the instrument as a whoel depending on the context of the chord and the note you're playing.

This is also why trumpet players have 1st and 3rd slides that are moveable by your left hand. I don't know if I've seen them on a valve trombone but I'd imagine its because it woudl be harder to make it work because of the size.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Valve trombones r us often install slide triggers for the third valve. Valve trombone isn’t easy to keep in tune as you play all over the its range, but it’s definitely possible. You can work on alternates and lipping notes with a tuner and practice time. And if you have the time it could be fun to grab a cheap Yamaha 354 or Olds Ambassador for a hundred or so to practice a slide.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Is this a name brand American made or Yamaha valve trombone, or something else?

If it has that much of a problem I would bet it's "something else."

There's a lot of junk out there.  You might need to bite the bullet and buy a real instrument.
ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Oct 17, 2017, 09:59PMIs this a name brand American made or Yamaha valve trombone, or something else?

If it has that much of a problem I would bet it's "something else."

There's a lot of junk out there.  You might need to bite the bullet and buy a real instrument.
Thanks Doug,
I would have to remove the lacquer to try to find the name of my very old trombone as it was lacquered over the name when I purchased it privately. It does produce a nice sound but you ar right I may need to "play before pay" when I look for a replacement.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Or if it's that old it may have worn valves or other leaks that you're not aware of.  Leaks can definitely cause that problem.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It was probably buffed off not lacquered over it the lacquer truly is that thick, it is probably dead as a doornail playing wise.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It was probably buffed off not lacquered over it the lacquer truly is that thick, it is probably dead as a doornail playing wise.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”