Easy pieces for beginners

James

Easy pieces for beginners

Post by James »

So far I have managed a one octave scale and "When the Saints go marching in". If anyone can suggest some simple pieces for me to work on, it would be helpful. I'm working on my tuning, so repeating a tune over and over is important.
BGuttman

Re: Easy pieces for beginners

Post by BGuttman »

There are a bunch of songs with limited ranges. Often they show up in the elementary tutor books. Things like "Hot Cross Buns", "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "How Dry I am".

If you feel these are "beneath" you, try Tin Roof Blues, Basin Street Blues, When You're Smiling, and other popular Dixieland tunes.

I remember Vern Kagarice demonstrating how to expand your range using the hymn "Amazing Grace". Play it in 1st starting on F, then down 1/2 step, down another, etc. you can easily get to 4th position before things start getting a little crazy. If you really want challenge, do it in all 7.

Meanwhile, keep trying to expand your range so you can play more tunes.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
James

Re: Easy pieces for beginners

Post by James »

Thanks! I have loads of music books, and I'm sure I can look these up. I already know some of them, of course.
I'll need to get a book to move forward, just wanted to get the feel of the instrument before going back to the music shop. I can feel/hear the tuning, but I think I can have some fun with "Amazing Grace"!

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”