Email notifications of PMs

ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Hello!

I've recently noticed that I'm no longer receiving an email notification when I get PMs. I checked my Personal Message Options..."Notify by email every time you receive a personal message" is set to "Always".

This caused a real problem for me a few weeks ago when I had offered to get tickets for someone, and thought I never heard back from them. In truth they'd PM'd me several times and I was not notified. As a result they missed the show and I'm a total jerk.

Is there another setting somewhere that I need to change? I looked at Notifications and Email too, but none of that seemed relevant to the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Dunno, Megan.  I still get e-mails notifying me of PMs (in fact, the e-mail shows me the text of the PM).

Is your e-mail correct?
Do you need to add TromboneForum to your "Safe Senders" list?
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 04, 2016, 07:12PMDunno, Megan.  I still get e-mails notifying me of PMs (in fact, the e-mail shows me the text of the PM).

Is your e-mail correct?
Do you need to add TromboneForum to your "Safe Senders" list?

My email address is correct as listed, and I do check my spam folder every day. Could you (or anyone else who's bored in the next couple hours) send me a PM so I can see if it goes to my email? You can say whatever you like and I won't even roll my eyes Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK.  PM sent.

Cue "Rolling Thunder".
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I have never received notifications even though things are set up to notify me of everything, including PMs.

Things work fine over at Trombone Chat.  Image
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I stopped getting them a long time ago.  Then they started up again.  Every was great - very convenient - for a few months.  Then it stopped again.   Image
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: greenbean on Apr 05, 2016, 08:49AMI stopped getting them a long time ago.  Then they started up again.  Every was great - very convenient - for a few months.  Then it stopped again.   Image

Yeah, same here.... no worky, then worky and back to no worky for the last few months.

It doesn't phase me any more when stuff just fails to work over here any more.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is part of the reason Sliphorn and Bubbachet started TromboneChat.  This has been a problem for years and none of us Mods can fix it -- Only Richard Byrd can.  And he isn't.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Megan:  I sent you a PM and I also sent you an e-mail to the mail address on your profile.  The e-mail should be from [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].

The e-mail did not "bounce back", so it was delivered.

Did you get either of them?
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 05, 2016, 11:51AMMegan:  I sent you a PM and I also sent you an e-mail to the mail address on your profile.  The e-mail should be from [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].

The e-mail did not "bounce back", so it was delivered.

Did you get either of them?

Hi, thank you for doing that! Sorry for the delay in responding.
I received an email from your tromboneforum.org address:

"I sent you a PM. Just sending this to see if your e-mail bounces back."

...however I did NOT receive any email notifications from the forum itself about the PM that you sent me here.

Quote from: tbathras on Apr 05, 2016, 09:23AMYeah, same here.... no worky, then worky and back to no worky for the last few months.

It doesn't phase me any more when stuff just fails to work over here any more.

Yeah it didn't phase me either until the one time it actually mattered. I've learned my lesson and will no longer use the forum for such things, but thought it might be nice to at least try to address the issue.

Thanks much for your help Bruce!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK.  Ran another test.

I have a "basic" account that I can use for testing.  I logged into that account and sent myself a PM.

I got no e-mail either.  So e-mail must not be working.  I'm on line enough that if someone sends a PM I will get a notification in my Forum page.

Megan, have people contact you by E-mail if the message can't wait for you to log in here again.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 05, 2016, 08:56PMOK.  Ran another test.

I have a "basic" account that I can use for testing.  I logged into that account and sent myself a PM.

I got no e-mail either.  So e-mail must not be working.  I'm on line enough that if someone sends a PM I will get a notification in my Forum page.

Megan, have people contact you by E-mail if the message can't wait for you to log in here again.

You got it. Thanks!
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I've always had the email and was kind of surprised to get a PM yesterday without one.

I just checked my profile, and I had failed to update my email address the last time it changed, so this one is clearly on me.

I fixed that and will see if it made a difference.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK Tim.  Sent you a PM.  Let us know if you got an e-mail.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Got a PM, did not get an email.

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Got a PM, did not get an email.

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”