Announcing: TromboneChat

ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

Thanks to all who have taken the effort!
Nice to see so many familiar faces already.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've done my part to register.  (Lucked out on the Captcha code - guessed it the first time.  Most difficult to discern that I've ever encountered.  Aren't there easier versions of Captcha available?)

Now I'm waiting for a Moderator to approve my TromboneChat "application." 

See you on the other side!   Image
ttf_SethMatrix

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

I registered.

trombonechat doesn't seem to show up on google. That is probably important to bring in new members.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've also taken the leap....

Here goes...

ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

SethMatrix writes:

> trombonechat doesn't seem to show up on google.

There's likely to be a bit of search engine optimization to be done, but considering that the site has been open for business for less than twelve hours now it's not really surprising that Google doesn't know about it yet.  Still, as I write this 113 members have registered and made 250 posts in 65 threads (granted, some of which are "welcome" and "rules" posts.)  I'd say that's pretty good for the site's first day.  Thanks to all of you who have registered.  Tell your friends.  And get out there and chat!

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yeah, Google has a formula for determining how things show up. Tromboneforum shows up a lot because it gets linked from other places a lot.  One of the key factors, although not deciding factors, in whether or not google displays something is it being linked on other sites when they do their crawler. By the end of the week, it'll definitely be #1 whe you search for "trombone chat" and probably pretty close to the front page when you just search for trombone.
ttf_patrickosmith

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

I registered.
ttf_patrickosmith

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 04, 2016, 12:05PMRight now I'm glad I'm not approving new memberships... Image

Please let us know what you like and what you don't like.  We tried to take the best things from TTF (which I hope will remain for the wealth of information it contains).  

Please remember to read the Terms of Use.
It doesn't.  We are starting over.  If there is something here you want to move, let us know and we'll see if it can be done.

Everything looks great except for one oddity. In looking over the categories of the new website, I'm irked by the calling out of only one of the greats in brass pedagogy. In so doing you have placed Reinhardt above Caruso, Crisafulli, Jacobs, Schlossberg, Remington, and probably many others I've failed to recall off the top of my head. You might get more members contributing information by titling the category as "Pedagogical Greats," moving Reinhardt down a directory, and adding the others.

I'd like to have copied everything I've written there. It is a record of my travels from the very beginning of my third time starting as a beginner. The third time is the charm of course.
ttf_58mark

Post by ttf_58mark »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Mar 05, 2016, 04:54AMEverything looks great except for one oddity. In looking over the categories of the new website, I'm irked by the calling out of only one of the greats in brass pedagogy. In so doing you have placed Reinhardt above Caruso, Crisafulli, Jacobs, Schlossberg, Remington, and probably many others I've failed to recall off the top of my head. You might get more members contributing information by titling the category as "Pedagogical Greats," moving Reinhardt down a directory, and adding the others.

I'd like to have copied everything I've written there. It is a record of my travels from the very beginning of my third time starting as a beginner. The third time is the charm of course.

That was one thread submitted by one person on the first day. It shouldn't be taken as a sole endorsement
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Mar 05, 2016, 04:54AMEverything looks great except for one oddity. In looking over the categories of the new website, I'm irked by the calling out of only one of the greats in brass pedagogy. In so doing you have placed Reinhardt above Caruso, Crisafulli, Jacobs, Schlossberg, Remington, and probably many others I've failed to recall off the top of my head. You might get more members contributing information by titling the category as "Pedagogical Greats," moving Reinhardt down a directory, and adding the others.
There are and have been many brass teachers with their own approaches to teaching, but Reinhardt holds a very special place among brass pedagogues.  He is the only one who truly discovered something new, that is the basis of understanding how and why different embouchures work as they do.   And that understanding has allowed me to continue along that path in my own playing and teaching. 
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm disappointed that moderators from the Trombone Forum have decided to undermine it with a competing forum.

This is a classic internet-age mistake.

ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 05, 2016, 07:07AMI'm disappointed that moderators from the Trombone Forum have decided to undermine it with a competing forum.

This is a classic internet-age mistake.

It would also be a classic internet-age mistake to not have an option available in case the Forum folds. I appreciate everything Richard did in establishing this forum in its current form and supporting it over the years, and I do think much of what has been posted here advocating a coup d'etat was disrespectful to him. However, this is something different. I think the Mods have a point. If he's not able to support the site, it makes sense to have another option available.
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

We have had no indication whatsoever that RLB will not continue to support this site.

Had a quick peek at the new one. I hate the look of it. It's just like a thousand other fora.

It's like The Open Horn used to be, and that didn't last long.

This - The Trombone Forum - is the only forum I know which looks good. It looks different and I like it.

I won't be moving over.

However, I hope it goes well for you all, whoever you are and whatever you want from it.
ttf_patrickosmith

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2016, 06:51AMHe is the only one who truly discovered something new
No
ttf_Doug Elliott

Sorry Patrick, a partial quote won't do, you left out the important part.
No other teacher addressed the issue of different embouchures or how they work.
And that is a VERY important part of "brass pedagogy."

ttf_patrickosmith

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2016, 07:35AMSorry Patrick, a partial quote won't do, you left out the important part.
No other teacher addressed the issue of different embouchures or how they work.
And that is a VERY important part of "brass pedagogy."

My points are:
1. You have placed Reinhardt above Caruso, Crisafulli, Jacobs, Schlossberg, Remington, and probably many others I've failed to recall off the top of my head. Some people will find this offensive and narrow-minded.

2. You might get more members contributing information by titling the category as "Pedagogical Greats," moving Reinhardt down a directory, and adding the others.
ttf_Doug Elliott

It's a brand new forum, it will grow as we all see fit.
I was studying with John Marcellus at the same time I was studying with Reinhardt.  I think he belongs on that list too, but I don't remember ever seeing him talked about on TTF or anywhere else.
ttf_patrickosmith

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Mar 05, 2016, 07:53AMIt's a brand new forum, it will grow as we all see fit.
I was studying with John Marcellus at the same time I was studying with Reinhardt.  I think he belongs on that list too, but I don't remember ever seeing him talked about on TTF or anywhere else.
Yes, that's another one as well.
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Mar 05, 2016, 07:25AMWe have had no indication whatsoever that RLB will not continue to support this site.

Had a quick peek at the new one. I hate the look of it. It's just like a thousand other fora.

This - The Trombone Forum - is the only forum I know which looks good. It looks different and I like it.

I won't be moving over.

However, I hope it goes well for you all, whoever you are and whatever you want from it.

We are already tweaking the layout of the new forum, and are working hard on getting other themes set up for use.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Categories for:

1 gun threads
2 Bible threads
3 one reserved for Ronky, BvB et al to bash away
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

ImageQuote from: Euphanasia on Mar 05, 2016, 07:14AMIt would also be a classic internet-age mistake to not have an option available in case the Forum folds. I appreciate everything Richard did in establishing this forum in its current form and supporting it over the years, and I do think much of what has been posted here advocating a coup d'etat was disrespectful to him. However, this is something different. I think the Mods have a point. If he's not able to support the site, it makes sense to have another option available.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Ellrod on Mar 05, 2016, 09:56AMCategories for:

1 gun threads
2 Bible threads

In the Tangents we have Off-Topic which is like Chit-Chat, and REALLY Off-topic which is where all of those threads would go.  They set me up as Bash-Master.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: RedHotMama on Mar 05, 2016, 07:25AMWe have had no indication whatsoever that RLB will not continue to support this site.

I won't be moving over.

The Open Horn served its purpose. When TTF opened up from the heavily censored Richard Human regime...and stayed that way...there was no need to continue The Open Horn. Too much trouble for a busy pro to manage. So it goes. This new one? TTF is functioning very well now. As long as it remains functioning there is really no practical reason to start another one. But...and it is a big but...unless RLB somehow allows this site to be duplicated in case of emergency (and "emergencies" happen to us all, eventually), a new site is a plus. Maybe it will serve to help fix some of the problems that so many people have seen here (as did The Open Horn), and maybe it won't. For that matter, maybe the various trombone Facebook pages will steal the thunder from all websites of this sort. I don't know, and neither does anyone else.

Best of luck to everybody.

I am currently posting trombone-related info here, because I can reach...and be reached by...the largest number of people with the least effort on my part. I am posting elsewhere as well, on some Facebook pages that do not want anyone but highly qualified people posting on them and are thus moderator-limited in terms of membership. I like the openness of this forum, but I also enjoy talking almost exclusively with very good players and teachers. We shall see what will happen in the near future. I personally wish that RLB could/would remain the webmaster here...he's done a damned good job, overall, at I am sure a fairly low monetary profit...but if he does not see fit to involve himself in it anymore and will not provide backup, I am sure that this site will eventually go down to stay. So that goes as well. It'll all work out for the best. It always does.

Later...

S.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I won't be moving over.

It's not necessarily an indication that we won't get more support here, but I have reached out to Richard and he never responded.  He has historically been unresponsive.  It's not like I haven't tried.

No one is crossing their fingers and hoping TTF folds.  But having three active members with the keys to the new forum is a good idea and we won't be having many of the problems that have been plaguing TTF for years.  It's nothing personal.  I just want to make sure that the community exists in perpetuity and is sustainable.

And for those who don't like the look, you can change the theme.  Plus I'll be looking into creating some custom themes.

Think positively and consider the goods that accompany the perceived bads.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Ellrod on Mar 05, 2016, 09:56AMCategories for:

1 gun threads
2 Bible threads

NEXT!!!!
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Is there enough business to support both sites, as well as the various FB pages? Or will both sites suffer?

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I hope neither suffers.  Seemed necessary.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have a love/hate relationship with TTF. Some times it is like watching a slow motion auto crash... I ...just...can't ....look....away. Even when I know that somebody 18 years old who has never done a paid gig in their life is advising a 17 year old how to spend $7K of their parent's money on a horn they won't spend $50 on lessons to play.
That said--

Lots of professionals have had great websites with fora over the years. Doug Yeo comes to mind. Sam Burtis comes to mind. That said, there will never be a time when actually getting out the horn and practicing won't solve your problems. Nothing on the internet will actually move your physical body into getting out the horn. You can't be manipulated into moving your muscles to make the case open and improve your skill, by a technological device.

TromboneChat? Just another diversion. That said, I have learned a lot about vintage horns from the discussions over the years. I have a profound appreciation for all of the discussion by guys like the late Erling, and I really do love dj. If things weren't written they would have been lost.

My concern? The golden age happened about 10 or 15 years ago. Lots to say-- and almost all of it never written before. The boutique makers rose out of the ashes of the loss of quality on the major makers front...from the discussions. There was a demand for good quality horns. A demand for GREAT quality horns.
Will that demand continue? Nobody knows. How many new Shires/Rath/boutique horns are the professionals going to buy when the life of a horn is 30+ years and they have one from 10 years ago?

How many times can you discuss a new horn before the discussion gets stale?
How many message boards do you need to b*tch about the loss of quality at Conn-Selmer?
Will all the on-line b*tching influence Conn-Selmer to even make half of an attempt to increase their efforts?

It's a soap opera.
Can you watch two soap operas? Probably.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Mar 05, 2016, 02:43PMI hope neither suffers.  Seemed necessary.

For me, basically, if I have anything of value to post, I'll post on the new site and then post a link to that here in the corresponding topic.  But I'm small potatoes- it'll take the big guys doing the same to really move people's attention over to the new site.

The writing is on the wall - TTF is going to die if it's not given the serious attention it needs and I think that ship has sailed.

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I don't practice enough as it is.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Personally, I'm hoping that this will wake Richard up to let some of us Admins do some major maintenance on this site:

1.  The 2 year old plea for money that doesn't seem to change needs to be removed.  We can simply have a Donate button.  But somebody should be keeping the donor list up to date.
2.  Meet the Staff has people listed who are no longer acting as staff (and one is dead!).  It doesn't have people who are acting as staff.  Both RedHotMama and I have offered to edit it, but it's not a regular part of the Forum we can access.
3.  The TTF Cookbook is a mess.  RedHotMama has offered to clean it up but it also is not a regular part of the Forum.
4.  The TTF Classifieds (the one that we replaced with the temporary system we have dealt with for so many years) should be resurrected.  Again, none of us Admins have access to it.

You may note that the Classifieds on TromboneChat have the categories most of you have asked for.

Quite frankly, TromboneChat was a response to a few problems with the management of this Site.

Note of caution: Please be aware that TromboneChat is based in "the cloud" and anything on there is subject to data mining.  Don't put any personal details you wouldn't want on the front page of your local newspaper.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Bruce writes:

> Please be aware that TromboneChat is based in "the cloud" and
>  anything on there is subject to data mining.  Don't put any
>  personal details you wouldn't want on the front page of
> your local newspaper.

Er, content on Trombone Chat is no more or less subject to "data mining" than content on TTF.

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Let's be clear....
The Admins... the people who set up and run the new site.... are not moderators here.
Some of us were asked to help with moderating.... I think that is reasonable as long as those involved keep working here in the way they have been.
This site is controlled by one person who is generally not around.
There is much that Admins and mods here cannot do.
The new site can... and will... change according to user demand.... now that's new.

Chris Stearn
ttf_SethMatrix

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

Quote from: Ellrod on Mar 05, 2016, 05:46PMI don't practice enough as it is.
This!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've tried to register twice and can't break the captcha code. I hate those things!
I'm starting to loose interest in joining at all.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: brucolli on Mar 06, 2016, 07:59AMI've tried to register twice and can't break the captcha code. I hate those things!

Bruce, you're not a 'bot, are you?

Capcha is great for eliminating the phony accounts I have to reject every day (usually coming from the same general area).  I know it's a pain, but keep trying.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: brucolli on Mar 06, 2016, 07:59AMI've tried to register twice and can't break the captcha code. I hate those things!

I had to come back in an hour myself. i'm a little color blind, so it did cause some problems. I believe there is an "ask amoderator" button or something to that effect. Perhaps try that and just get your account approved directly?
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: Matt K on Mar 06, 2016, 09:15AMI had to come back in an hour myself. i'm a little color blind, so it did cause some problems. I believe there is an "ask amoderator" button or something to that effect. Perhaps try that and just get your account approved directly?
Does anyone know of any women who are colorblind?  I've heard it's only men, but I don't know.
ttf_Doug Elliott

I think because of the genes involved, it's only males.

I'm not colorblind, but my wife can see color shade differences that I can't.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Mar 06, 2016, 07:02PMDoes anyone know of any women who are colorblind?  I've heard it's only men, but I don't know.

My father-in-law had two sisters who were color blind (as was he).  In fact, that whole family had color blindness scattered through their genome.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Mar 06, 2016, 07:02PMDoes anyone know of any women who are colorblind?  I've heard it's only men, but I don't know.

According to The Internet, (nih.gov)

QuoteAs many as 8 percent of men and 0.5 percent of women with Northern European ancestry have the common form of red-green color blindness.

Men are much more likely to be colorblind than women because the genes responsible for the most common, inherited color blindness are on the X chromosome. Males only have one X chromosome, while females have two X chromosomes. In females, a functional gene on only one of the X chromosomes is enough to compensate for the loss on the other. This kind of inheritance pattern is called X-linked, and primarily affects males. Inherited color blindness can be present at birth, begin in childhood, or not appear until the adult years.

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Mar 06, 2016, 07:46PMAccording to The Internet, (nih.gov)

Interesting!  Sorry to take it off-topic.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

I guess those numbers make sense - you'd naively expect one to be the square of the other - needing both copies of the gene to have the modification, with the same probability each time. 8% squared is 0.64%, which is not that far from 0.5%. Perhaps there is another effect at play too.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Ellrod on Mar 05, 2016, 12:36PMIs there enough business to support both sites, as well as the various FB pages? Or will both sites suffer?

It has finally happened...  Slide-O-Mix vs Trombotine has taken ripped the forum asunder.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Mar 04, 2016, 02:56PMI registered, but only because I didn't want anyone else registering my handle and using it to post long-winded diatribes about word definitions in endless threads about nit-picky topics.

QuoteI'm not sure how this preserves the content of the current forum. (robcat)

QuoteIt doesn't.  We are starting over.bruce

Awesome!  We get to debate the effects of materials all over again!!!!!!!  I'm in!!!!!!!!!
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

I have banished the old CAPTCHA system to the lake of eternal fire.

We are now using ReCAPTCHA from Google.
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

You guys are silly. Image

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I will register and support the new attempt.  I've observed that no forum survives without reaching a critical mass of members.

I also note that the old listserv still exists, because we old farts still exist, and a lot of us came to forums kicking and screaming.  There's even a scrap of usenet still kicking around, although it's 99% spam.

But the younger folk have moved on to Facebook, and if I ever figure that out I'll find they're gone, onto something else.  

That's why I'm a little skeptical about the long term viability of either forum.  But I give Doug et al credit for making this attempt, and will try to help make it work.  
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

I think that since TromboneChat have active and talented admins with full control, they will make it a very good addition to the trombone community.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just signed up. Thanks guys. But I'm already having trouble keeping up with the Forum. You just doubled my problem. Why did you feel we needed another online gathering place? Oh, and yes, the Captcha photo was a challenge. But my 1st guess musta worked.

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”