Announcing: TromboneChat

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Ladies and Gentlemen…I bear exciting news.  Some of us have been working to roll out a new forum.  Why a new forum, you ask?  We believe this community is a fantastic resource for trombone players around the world, and we wanted to take steps to guarantee its continued existence.

Behold…TromboneChat!  We hope that you'll have a look and consider registering.  Follow this link:

http://www.trombonechat.com/index.php

We at TromboneChat want this to be your new home for all things trombone-related.  Have a look around, familiarize yourself with the structure.

A few key points that set TromboneChat apart:

1.   TromboneChat is not under the purview of a single person. A committee of at least 3 people are in charge of the site, guaranteeing continuity should one no longer be involved.

2.   TromboneChat has a modern, cloud-based host with 99.9% uptime that handles all of the software upgrades, backups, and security for us.  If ultra-rare downtime occurs, TromboneChat is covered.

3.   TromboneChat has a sustainable plan to collect annual donations from those who wish to post in the Classifieds section.  This will help fund the site in perpetuity. All educational and discussion content will be freely accessible as long as funds allow. Annual donations of just $10 will allow you to post in the classifieds section, though donations of any size are accepted to help us fund the hosting package and keep this site running well into the future.

4.   Registration for TromboneChat is easy, just follow the steps.  Your membership will need to be approved by a moderator.  We are human, so be patient and sit tight, it won't take long. To expedite the process, please fill out your profile completely.

5.   New users will need to have their first 5 posts approved by a moderator.  Do not complain about this.  It is set up this way to avoid bots and spammers and is in the best interest of all involved.  During this period, your PM system will not function.

6.   After the 5-post requirement is met, full user rights are automatically granted.  You may post freely, and your PM system will function normally.

Again, we hope you will consider joining the community at TromboneChat.  We can all make it the best "trombone home" on the internet!

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Just maxed out on my attempts at the "captcha"  Image  I'll "try again later"!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Matt K on Mar 04, 2016, 10:36AMJust maxed out on my attempts at the "captcha"  Image  I'll "try again later"!

He's a bot! Get him, boys!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Doug, this is great! Just signed up, can't wait to see what's in store there!

Justin
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: Matt K on Mar 04, 2016, 10:36AMJust maxed out on my attempts at the "captcha"  Image  I'll "try again later"!
When we set up the forum I had a lot of difficulty with that, too.  It kinda sucks.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

You just have to keep hitting refresh until something shows up that you can read.   Image

Took me 4 times.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I signed up!

Cant wait to post pics again on repair projects!

Benn
ttf_matto

Post by ttf_matto »

Thanks for your hard work, guys! Looking forward to the new community.

Just a note on the registration experience though.. it took me six refreshes of the captcha before I found one I could read. You were starting to make me think I was colorblind.  Image
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Glad I'm not the only one who had a job reading those.... my eyes are not what they were. Looking forward to this brave new world  Image Image Image

Chris Stearn
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: matto on Mar 04, 2016, 11:11AMThanks for your hard work, guys! Looking forward to the new community.

Just a note on the registration experience though.. it took me six refreshes of the captcha before I found one I could read. You were starting to make me think I was colorblind.  Image

I started to think I'm a bot! Maybe I should take a turing test  Image
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

The captcha is really hard...

And I think I stuffed up the system by cut-and-pasting my bone herd information from my profile here - got an error message back about there being too much text in the field, and now it tells me that my username and email address (same as here) are already in use, but not yet activated. No activation instructions yet... Hoping they are en route in an email, but wondering if the error I received means that the email wasn't sent...

Any of the new powers that be want to sort it out for me?

Edit: Someone sorted it out. Thanks, anonymous helpful new moderator!
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Many thanks to those who set up the new venue!
Much as I dislike captcha, I applaud your use of it to cut down spurious membership applications!
Looking forward to helping build up the site content.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Looks good. How do you see the relationship between the new site and this one?
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: MoominDave on Mar 04, 2016, 11:15AMThe captcha is really hard...

And I think I stuffed up the system by cut-and-pasting my bone herd information from my profile here - got an error message back about there being too much text in the field, and now it tells me that my username and email address (same as here) are already in use, but not yet activated. No activation instructions yet... Hoping they are en route in an email, but wondering if the error I received means that the email wasn't sent...

Interesting.  I'll raise the limit for that field.  Remind me.  Sort of busy right now, as you can imagine.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: MoominDave on Mar 04, 2016, 11:15AMThe captcha is really hard...

Edit: Someone sorted it out. Thanks, anonymous helpful new moderator!
Okay, I raised the limit considerably.  Try again to post your massive, mighty herd!
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

MoominDave writes:

> No activation instructions yet... Hoping they are en route in an email.

As you might well imagine new user registrations are hitting in something of a flood and must be approved by a member of the staff.  Folks should expect a bit of a lag between the time they register and receipt of an e-mail confirming that their account has been activated.  Heading back to wade in the flood waters...

ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Thanks! It's sorted out now (I noted in an edit to my post above).

Trouble was that the error page I received effectively broke my link to the registration process, so I was left in the dark as to what was and wasn't happening.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

sf105 asks:

> How do you see the relationship between the new site and this one?

That will depend largely on how the community responds to the new site.

There has been little innovation or positive response to member suggestions here on TTF for about six years now, which was one of the motivations for opening TC.  I think you can expect to see the TC proprietors take a much more active and responsive role than has been the case here on TTF for a very long time now.  I also think you can expect to see a lot less downtime and buggy behavior at TC and a shorter response time when/if problems do occur.

ttf_Dino

Post by ttf_Dino »

I'm in!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Very cool Doug! Just signed up.

Fridge
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

I'm still being a pain, sorry hard-working people. Bug report to file.

When I am now logged in to TC, "Board Index" displays only "This board has no forums." No forums, no posts are shown. Paradoxically, when I log out, I see everything - but obviously cannot post. Not a browser thing, as it is common to both Chrome and IE.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

We are going to experience some growing pains during mass registration periods, please be patient as we sort these out.

On the other hand, I'm glad so many of you have chosen to join!
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm not sure how this preserves the content of the current forum.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Right now I'm glad I'm not approving new memberships... Image

Please let us know what you like and what you don't like.  We tried to take the best things from TTF (which I hope will remain for the wealth of information it contains).  

Please remember to read the Terms of Use.
Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 04, 2016, 12:02PMI'm not sure how this preserves the content of the current forum.

It doesn't.  We are starting over.  If there is something here you want to move, let us know and we'll see if it can be done.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just signed up! It looks really crisp! I like the fact that there's more specific sub headings. Much easier to find info!  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

How come only 'British' english?  Image

Looks nice...thanks, guys.
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Quote from: MoominDave on Mar 04, 2016, 11:58AMI'm still being a pain, sorry hard-working people. Bug report to file.

When I am now logged in to TC, "Board Index" displays only "This board has no forums." No forums, no posts are shown. Paradoxically, when I log out, I see everything - but obviously cannot post. Not a browser thing, as it is common to both Chrome and IE.

Fixed now, happy days. Thank you!
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Yay, I'm not a bot!

It looks really well done.  

For those concerned about getting information from here: The waybackmachine actually has a lot of tromboneforum archived already it seems.  And it wouldn't be too hard to setup a webcrawler to get all of the public stuff from this forum. Although there is probably an issue with posting it legally.  Maybe I can set one up when I have more time after I graduate this semester.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Mar 04, 2016, 12:31PMPreserving content from this forum is not amongst the objectives of TromboneChat.  The TTF archives will continue to be available for as long as the proprietor keeps the site in operation.  At the same time, the proprietors of TromboneChat hope that in time the new site will become an equally valuable source of trombonistic information.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

robcat2075 writes:

> I'm not sure how this preserves the content of the current forum.

Preserving content from this forum is not amongst the objectives of TromboneChat.  The TTF archives will continue to be available for as long as the proprietor keeps this site in operation.  At the same time, the proprietors of TromboneChat hope that in time the new site will become an equally valuable source of trombonistic information.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It looks good.   Personally I'd rather leave the politics out of it,  but it seems to be part of the culture here

ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

It looks good and is fast.  

I've signed up.

Now just have to wait and see if they'll let me in. Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

excellent. It looks great!
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Was the creation of TC supported by a consensus of TTF moderators?

Do the TTF moderators have a plan for an orderly transition to TC, or is this just going to be left to free market forces and the whim of the gods?
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: drizabone on Mar 04, 2016, 01:15PMWas the creation of TC supported by a consensus of TTF moderators?

Do the TTF moderators have a plan for an orderly transition to TC, or is this just going to be left to free market forces and the whim of the gods?
Whim of the Gods.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: 58mark on Mar 04, 2016, 12:44PMIt looks good.   Personally I'd rather leave the politics out of it,  but it seems to be part of the culture here

It's politics.  It's part of culture everywhere.  Happily, you can just not go in there.  It's limited to one very small corner of the sight, and is a sub-forum.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Great news
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image  I'm having a hard time reading the captcha code, too. I'll try again later.  Thinking I need reading glasses or younger eyes!  Image   
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: tbone62 on Mar 04, 2016, 02:34PM Image  I'm having a hard time reading the captcha code, too. I'll try again later.  Thinking I need reading glasses or younger eyes!  Image  
They're very hard to read.  I had a hard time, too, and I'm a founder.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I registered, but only because I didn't want anyone else registering my handle and using it to post long-winded diatribes about word definitions in endless threads about nit-picky topics.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: tbone62 on Mar 04, 2016, 02:34PM Image  I'm having a hard time reading the captcha code, too. I'll try again later.  Thinking I need reading glasses or younger eyes!  Image   

I'm sorta used to it and it took me two tries to "win".  Sometimes the letters look like something else and the computer leaves no room for error.

I just hope this gets the "bots" that I have to consistently reject here. 

What I am more concerned about are Filipinos and Bangladeshis who don't know what a trombone is (Cricket?  Football?  Games?) but they have lots of bogus stuff to sell.
ttf_58mark

Post by ttf_58mark »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Mar 04, 2016, 01:29PMIt's politics.  It's part of culture everywhere.  Happily, you can just not go in there.  It's limited to one very small corner of the sight, and is a sub-forum.

I get enough of that crap on Facebook

Considering I search forums by using the "all unread posts" link,  the political discussion cannot be avoided

Some forums have an "opt in"  feature where you can only see a certain subgroup if you are a member of that group,  might be nice to look into at the new board

ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: 58mark on Mar 04, 2016, 05:12PMI get enough of that crap on Facebook

Considering I search forums by using the "all unread posts" link,  the political discussion cannot be avoided

Some forums have an "opt in"  feature where you can only see a certain subgroup if you are a member of that group,  might be nice to look into at the new board

I will look into it.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Mar 04, 2016, 01:29PMIt's politics.  It's part of culture everywhere.  Happily, you can just not go in there.  It's limited to one very small corner of the sight, and is a sub-forum.

No, not at all true.  Many forums have no political section.  The sax forum, for example.  It is one of the most active music-related forums on the web.  And they very successfully have a "no politics" rule. 
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Is it blockable like it is on this site? 

Quote from: greenbean on Mar 04, 2016, 05:37PMNo, not at all true.  Many forums have no political section.  The sax forum, for example.  It is one of the most active music-related forums on the web.  And they very successfully have a "no politics" rule. 

If we're trying to replicate TTF, it's going to be hard to do away with "Practice Break."
ttf_58mark

Post by ttf_58mark »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Mar 04, 2016, 05:45PMIs it blockable like it is on this site? 

If we're trying to replicate TTF, it's going to be hard to do away with "Practice Break."

It's blockable?   Being new here,  I didn't know that

ttf_tbone62

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Sliphorn, I did manage to get registered.  The forum looks nice! 
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Looks good guys! Thanks!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

And how do we make a donation to the forum?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Mar 04, 2016, 06:23PMAnd how do we make a donation to the forum?

Donations can be sent to [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] via PayPal.

We will be requiring donations to post in Classifieds starting in April.  At that time we may have a "donate here" button (I hope).

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”