Healthy trombonist group?

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
davek

Healthy trombonist group?

Post by davek »

I wanted to post a question asking if others had dealt with tennis elbow as it relates to playing, practicing, etc but I’m not sure the appropriate place to post this.

Ideas? I want to respect the forum and not just “guess” . Maybe a new group?
Bassbonechandler

Re: Healthy trombonist group?

Post by Bassbonechandler »

That happens to me every once awhile. It normally happens to me when I practice Tyrell tuba etudes a lot.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

We've gone back and forth about a section for that. It's tricky, because things can quickly sprawl into an unmanageable mess. I'm not sure if we'll implement that section or not.

I have had tennis elbow from the trombone...particularly when i was working up the Bourgeois and Schnieder concertos.
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes »

Expertise in one area of performance does not necessarily translate into resolution of performance related health issues.
I suspect that pen collectors and bicyclists will not cross reference with the trombone forum for advice about movement issues. Trust me when I say that these concerns are best addressed by other experts. Personally I do not seek another trombone player regardless of their level of suffering or performance unless they are as qualified in their field as I am in mine.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I recently went through difficulties with my hands/wrists/elbow, etc. The pain would start in my hands and move all the way up to my neck. I went to a physical therapist who specializes in hand injuries. What my care team decided was the computer was causing the vast majority of my issues. If you have the ability to see a hand therapist I would recommend it. I now have a series of exercises and stretches I do to help combat the inflammation, and I also know when I need to walk away from the computer. I also wear compression sleeves when I feel the pain starting. That helps a lot.
jazztonight

Post by jazztonight »

Gribnes wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 pm I suspect that pen collectors and bicyclists will not cross reference with the trombone forum for advice about movement issues...
Funny you should mention this. I'm a fountain pen user (a dozen FP correspondents around the world), and as a beginning trombonist (six months), I'm now compounding my hand, arm and shoulder aches pains. Add to this that I'm a regular physical exerciser (pull-ups + pushups), which adds even more hand, arm, and shoulder stress to the mix.

So, what to do? Quit exercising? Quit writing letters? Quit playing the trombone? NO to all three! This is my life, these are the things that bring me pleasure and enjoyment and keep me alive, and I'll deal with the aches and pains just the way most people do. It's not debilitating for me, fortunately, and the discomfort comes and goes, and I've dealt with worse pain and suffering over the years.

YMMV
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

Another trombone playing FP user here. :hi:
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I had tennis elbow in my left arm. It was not caused by trombone playing, but playing kept it from healing and made it worse. Rest and occupational therapy were prescribed by my doctor, and they worked.

Hopefully you have good insurance.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”