Playing after rotator cuff surgery

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
mandrew

Playing after rotator cuff surgery

Post by mandrew »

Hi folks,

I'm new to this group but have been playing roughly 50 years with the wear and tear to show for it. I'm now looking at rotator cuff repair surgery on my left shoulder which means 6 weeks in a sling and another 6 not lifting anything "heavier than a coffee cup". Not wanting to have to come back from 3 months of not playing, I'm looking at options to allow me to keep some chops going at least, and ideally play in my regular groups sooner than later.

Anyone have experience with this to share? I've seen Craig Mulcahy's one armed contraption but not sure I could replicate it. Also looking at what the ErgoBone can do for me. Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks and cheers,

Mike
BGuttman

Re: Playing after rotator cuff surgery

Post by BGuttman »

How about a valve trombone or baritone on a stand?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I have a 1985 left shoulder injury that no one has shown interest in fixing yet. It still becomes acute intermittently.

The “pogo stick” Ergo Bone will help when you’re released from the coffee cup limit on trombone but not much before. Wycliffe Gordon developed some 11C ish mouthpieces with Pickett that allow trombone sized rims to be used in cornets, trumpets, and flugelhorns. I have them. I have not tried them yet.

I have an Olds ambassador cornet that I have played with a Bach 1 mouthpiece and have used a trumpet with a Bach 1 mouthpiece. I use the cornet for flare ups and travel. The Bach 1 mouthpieces don’t seem to mess me up. I use a pretty relaxed embouchure and keep expectations reined in. Between Bach 1 and Wycliffe’s trumpet or cornet mouthpieces you may find something that works for you.

You may have to rig a Ergo Bone pogo stick on a cornet to aid in one handed playing. The Ergo Bone might work on a valve trombone, or a baritone or euphonium may work propped on a tuba stand or pillow.

Tai chi and in particular the warm up exercises for tai chi will help with the recovery and maintenance of strength and range of motion. Avoid ninja instructors and only do what feels good without pain. The recovery from the initial trauma took me about a year. For me on this injury, no pain no gain was not the way to go. I have full range of motion and about 70 percent strength in my left arm. I use a 2B for the heavy lifting of my practice sessions. The 79H and King Duo-Gravis see mostly limited practice on problem passages, rehearsals, and performances. With surgery you may expect to do better. PM me for the Wycliffe Gordon mouthpiece source. Good luck.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

1. I have not had rotator cuff surgery. I’ve known quite a few who have. I’ve had bilateral idiopathic shoulder impingement syndrome—not the same thing at all, but it’s a taste of what you’re going through. I’ve periodically had problems with my left arm (shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, etc.). I’ve used an ErgoBone on and off for 20+ years. The ErgoBone takes a little bit of getting used to, but it works. Most of the trombonists I’ve known who had shoulder problems of some kind have used an ErgoBone at some point.

2. Follow your doctor’s recommendations. If he says 6 weeks no lifting, 6 weeks of only a coffee cup, and then gradually increasing weight, so be it.

3. Do your physical therapy. I used to have a day job working in disability insurance. A lot of people with long-term post op problems did not do their PT. Do your PT, take NSAIDs if prescribed, use ice, etc. When in doubt, see no. 2.

4. What’s more important? Having mobility of a significant portion of your body, or playing trombone? Can you wait 3-4 months to return to regular playing? I know, it’s a very difficult choice…

5. Perhaps devoting time to ear training, sight singing, listening, and occasional free buzzing or mouthpiece buzzing (I know, it’s a controversial topic here on TC) instead. Embouchure strength and flexibility come back relatively quickly and easily compared to shoulder surgery.

Let us know how it goes.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

In May 2010, I tripped on some wires (TV,stereo,speakers) and wound up with:
dislocated left shoulder, torn rotor cuff, and torn bicep. After arthroscopy surgery, I began regimented therapy sessions, 3x per week for 3 months. I did not play at all, but I was determined to not have to give up playing bass trombone, just because I could not hold up the horn, or worse, not able to pick it up from the trombone stand! I religiously performed my therapy sessions to the absolute best of my abilities. On my last orthopedic doctor's visit, as he checked my strength, range of motion, etc. he commented: "You should be the poster-boy for workman's comp...you got better because you wanted to!" After almost 3 months, to the date, I played my first gig on bass trombone. Voila!
(Trust...but verify)
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I had rotator cuff/bicep muscle reattachment last Summer. I used the Ergobone for about a month. Worked very well.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
mandrew

Post by mandrew »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought an ergo-bone and have started experimenting with it before surgery but not seeing how to play truly one-armed for now. Also making arrangements to borrow a euphonium to keep some chops going while in the sling if needed.
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

A bit late, but I do have some ideas. I had left shoulder put back together for second time Jan 13, 2023. Bought Trombone Spinesaver, which stabilized the horn. However, my orthopedist didn't care as much about that as he did my having the shoulder itself supported. I've been using a chair with arms and adding pillows so entire shoulder is supported. If I do it right, the forearm doesn't work hard either. Hopefully you are past the bad part now, but supporting the shoulder really worked. Best wishes. Charlie
mandrew

Post by mandrew »

Thanks for the ideas. Hope your recovery is going well.

General update on my experience: Surgery went fine. I did a little bit of playing with a rig built from a valve trombone, ergobone, improvised counterweight (valve trombone is seriously front heavy) but still had to support it on something. That worked OK but I found the valve trombone drove me nuts as it was impossible to play in tune and I have zero valve technique. Mostly long tones, lip slurs, and very slow scales but better than nothing.

I was able to return to playing the real thing with the Ergobone after about 5 weeks. I'm finding I like the Ergobone as I tend to use less pressure with it which is something I've fought most of my life. Of course your mileage may vary.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”