Suggestions for Music Shop in Berlin Germany

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
AEK

Suggestions for Music Shop in Berlin Germany

Post by AEK »

Hello everybody,
I am gonna visit Berlin, Germany in couple of months. I need to try out small bore jazz bones. Do any of you know a brass shop to try out some trombones there?
Ali Emre Kayhan
TRT Big Band
Rath R10
Doug Elliot STG99CC2
Sshhmute artist
bcschipper

Re: Suggestions for Music Shop in Berlin Germany

Post by bcschipper »

StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

Sorry for the long delay, I haven't checked the forum in quite a while. Hope this is still relevant to you.

There's no good place to check out trombones in Berlin, sorry. You could try bcschipper's suggestion above ("Der Blechbläser"), but don't be disappointed by the very narrow selection of instruments, and by the unhelpfulness and general grumpiness of the owner.

Your best bet is to travel to Freiburg (6 1/2 hour train ride from Berlin) and visit https://www.musik-bertram.com/. That's what I did when I needed a trombone in February, and I'm very happy I did that. Well worth the journey.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

If you want to see a pro brass shop, do check in at The Berliner Tuba. The owner is a wizard, and he might have a used trombone or three for restauration. Or an epic euph. Very nice and competent chap.

Der Blechbläser has a grumpy owner for sure, but he builds some very nice German trombones. Make sure to try these!

Also check out eBay Kleinanzeigen DE , there are many musicians in Berlin, and you might be surprised to see what nice instruments are for sale in this town.

Best, Marc
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Might be a bit late - I only saw this thread right now and want to shortly share my opinion on "Der Blechbläser".

Yes, the owner is often a bit grumpy, but:
- Although being grumpy, he has always been very helpful and certainly is extremely knowledgeable and a very good repairman
- His own trombones are great (I have bought his bass almost 15 years ago and still have not played one that I liked better. I would by his tenor and alto if I had the cash and didn't already have four tenors and two altos)
- He at least used to frequently have some very nice used trombones
- Being grumpy is kind of typical for Berlin - this doesn't make it better, but you accept it more easily ;-)

Still an important limitation:
The shop is not huge, and the focus is probably more on the orchestral side of things (plus the typical student instruments). So for jazz trombones you may be lucky, but probably there is not much selection.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”