Multiple logins curiosity

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
timothy42b

Multiple logins curiosity

Post by timothy42b »

When I log in, I almost always get the login screen at least one more time.

Now, I never save my password nor stay logged in. I do this for a very specific reason: I'm forgetful. If I don't use my password regularly, I'm going to forget it. I may or may not find where I wrote it down. So typing my password every time I log in helps me remember.

Here's what happens: I type my login name, I type my password, I click the login button with the mouse. (I don't hit return - never know what that will do.) The screen blinks, and I'm back at the same login screen. I don't get an error (password not found, etc.), I'm just back at that screen. The second or sometimes third time I do this I get logged in and everything works fine.

It's not a problem nor an annoyance, just a minor irritation, so nothing that needs to be "fixed," but I'm curious about why this happens.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Multiple logins curiosity

Post by Matt K »

Possibly some residual cached data. Does it happen on any other machine like that (or browser)? Could you let me know the OS and browser you are having issues with?

-Matt
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Yes, I use Win10 and IE. I'll see if it happens on my Linux/GoogleChrome machine, I can't remember.

My working hypothesis is I type too fast, and network latency loses a bit. So I'm going to try very slow entry a bit and see what happens.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I see it too, running Win7 and Chrome.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

It just did it again, with me waiting after each keystroke. So maybe not a timing thing.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I just hit "reply" on my phone (Chrome). It took me to the log in screen. I logged in, then got the log in screen a second time. Logged in a second time and was able to reply here. My password is saved, so I don't think this issue has to do with typing the password.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It may have something to do with the update we just did so I did some backend cleaning. Also, my apologies to every as well, this cleaning does require that everybody logs back in on all their devices.

If that didn't fix your issue, could you try again on Firefox or Chrome and let me know if you experienced a similar issue?

(Also, the speed of typing would only influence the password if you typed so fast you made an error. There is no data transferred until you actually hit the button. Now, if you go to the login screen and then wait more than 7200 seconds (2 hours) to press the button, that would cause the issue but I'm reluctant to increase that # because it evidently causes other issues.)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have a related issue.
Every time I go to the forum page I have to log in. This is as short of time as a half hour I am logged out with out closing the browser. I use firefox with win 10 on a fast Dell.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Does it to me, too. I just set my password to something I don't use anywhere else and have my browser remember for me.

Does it on Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, AVG Secure Browser on Windows 10 and 7 (I don't do 8).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

whitbey wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:30 am I have a related issue.
Every time I go to the TromboneChat page I have to log in. This is as short of time as a half hour I am logged out with out closing the browser. I use Firefox with Win 10 on a fast Dell.
Same here. This is annoying!

Matt?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Hm, okay thought that last fix may have been the issue. I have some time tonight to look into it.

-Matt
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I think I may have found the issue. Unfortunately, I had to kick everyone out again so my apologies for everyone who has to log in now. If this happens again, make a record of your IP address (using something like this: http://whatismyip.host/) and then do the same thing when it kicks you out the next time. Then, send me a PM with the two IP addresses. (Or only one if it was the same before and after getting logged out).

-Matt
afugate

Post by afugate »

Matt K wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm [snip] ... make a record of your IP address (using something like this: http://whatismyip.host/) ... [snip]

FYI, you can just ask google for your IP address. Just type in "what's my ip address"

(Here's a direct URL for convenience: https://www.google.com/search?q=what%27s+my+ip+address)

--Andy in OKC
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm I think I may have found the issue.
-Matt
Fixed! :good:

Thanks Matt. ;)
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

I used to be able to remain logged in on my phone and my PC at the same time. Now I seem to have to log in each time I switch from one to the other. Not a big deal as I get Safari and Edge to remember my username and password. I guess this is to do with detecting apparent session hijacks with User Agent and IP Address checks, based on Matt’s comment... Makes sense, and as I say, no big deal for me
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

All good today.
Thanks!
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

brumpone wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:44 pm I used to be able to remain logged in on my phone and my PC at the same time. Now I seem to have to log in each time I switch from one to the other. Not a big deal as I get Safari and Edge to remember my username and password. I guess this is to do with detecting apparent session hijacks with User Agent and IP Address checks, based on Matt’s comment... Makes sense, and as I say, no big deal for me
That may have been coincidental; I had to kick everyone out while I changed these settings so you'd have to log in everywhere again after the changes. Do you still have that issue today?

Otherwise, goad to hear it's working for everyone, difficult to triage these types of things when you can't reproduce them!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

It still happens for me, but I think the problem is at my end. My ISP seems to use "IP Hopping" -- maybe as a security measure. But if I go away from one computer for a while and come back in the IP seems to have changed which forces the new log in.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:55 am It still happens for me, but I think the problem is at my end. My ISP seems to use "IP Hopping" -- maybe as a security measure. But if I go away from one computer for a while and come back in the IP seems to have changed which forces the new log in.
That type of thing should be okay now. It's a little inconvenient, but you might try wiping your browser's cache. I don't know if any of that stuff is handled client-side (your browser) but if it is, I've updated it a few times so it might be worth doing. But note that you'll likely lose all your login info and other cached stuff from other sites too if you do that.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”