Why isn't there a "history of trombone" section?

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
bcschipper

Why isn't there a "history of trombone" section?

Post by bcschipper »

I am happy that the trombone chat exists and I appreciate the work that people put in to create it. I also appreciate that it preserved the content of the old trombone forum. At the same time, I do miss the trombone forum. One section that I liked very much in the old trombone forum was the history of trombone section. The discussion got heated at times but it was very informative. (That's one reason why it is a big service of the trombone chat to have preserved the content of the trombone forum.)
Kbiggs

Re: Why isn't there a "history of trombone" section?

Post by Kbiggs »

I agree. It was one of my favorite sections, too. There were people with experience and credibility contributing to the old TTF history section. It seems as though a lot of peope haven’t yet migrated to TC.

I’m not sure about this, but I think the TC Archives section wasn’t able to preserve the entire TF. That is, some posts, threads, subjects, etc., seem to be missing. Unfortunate.

A little off-topic, but does anyone know the status of TTF and Richard Human? It’s been about six months since it was taken off line, and over 4 months since the notice that it would return on May 12 (!).
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, the topic that had the locations of all the classical trombone solos didn't get cached.I think it was all cached a few months before the site died.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

We wanted to have as few categories as possible but make them more broad since putting too many options (as we initially had) was rather confusing. In my view, Performance is the most appropriate area for it and may as well be named Performance & History since there sn't much to talk about historically that doesn't apply to the action that we do or the actions that one took to perform throughout history. I'm personally not opposed to the name change nor making a new category but in my estimation, it would be somewhat redundant.

Any othe ropinions? If there's enough support we can talk about expanding but like I said, we do want to keep it so the categories are not too fine grained.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Using the Wayback Machine at Archive .org I was able to access TTF topics and posts of 2016 and earlier.

For example...

History of the trombone

Links to topics last updated before Jan 2017 seem to be functional.

This forum's TTF Archive has 31 topics in its "History of the trombone" section but there are 409 topics on the Wayback Machine version.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am Yeah, the topic that had the locations of all the classical trombone solos didn't get cached.I think it was all cached a few months before the site died.
Do you mean the the one one rare trombone solos? This is here under "creation and performance" https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=621.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 am I agree. It was one of my favorite sections, too. There were people with experience and credibility contributing to the old TTF history section. It seems as though a lot of peope haven’t yet migrated to TC.

I’m not sure about this, but I think the TC Archives section wasn’t able to preserve the entire TF. That is, some posts, threads, subjects, etc., seem to be missing. Unfortunate.

A little off-topic, but does anyone know the status of TTF and Richard Human? It’s been about six months since it was taken off line, and over 4 months since the notice that it would return on May 12 (!).
I think a lot of people have not migrated yet because they still hope that TTF comes online again. That's how it was in my case. I just registered here a couple of days ago because I gave up the hope that TTF comes online again.

Others may visit TTF very infrequently and may not haven even noted that there is a alternative called Trombone Chat.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Matt K wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:30 pm We wanted to have as few categories as possible but make them more broad since putting too many options (as we initially had) was rather confusing. In my view, Performance is the most appropriate area for it and may as well be named Performance & History since there sn't much to talk about historically that doesn't apply to the action that we do or the actions that one took to perform throughout history. I'm personally not opposed to the name change nor making a new category but in my estimation, it would be somewhat redundant.

Any other opinions? If there's enough support we can talk about expanding but like I said, we do want to keep it so the categories are not too fine grained.
I am not sure whether performance would be the right topic for discussions of the fraction of alto trombones on total trombones in the 17th century, or whether some historical instruments in some museum/archive are accessible to researchers or not, or whether Carl Traugott Queisser most likely walked by the Sattler workshop when going to the Gewandhausorchester for rehearsals ...

Why is as few categories as possible a good objective? People browse by topics. When they don't see a topic that they are interested in, they may even not browse. Topics prompt interest, suggest thoughts, spark interests ... The TTF was a kaleidoscope of topics related to the trombone. You clicked on a topic and founds something you did not thought about before (and consequently could not have searched for it. That's the difference between browsing and searching.)
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

bcschipper wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:52 pm Why is as few categories as possible a good objective? People browse by topics. When they don't see a topic that they are interested in, they may even not browse. Topics prompt interest, suggest thoughts, spark interests ... The TTF was a kaleidoscope of topics related to the trombone. You clicked on a topic and founds something you did not thought about before (and consequently could not have searched for it. That's the difference between browsing and searching.)
I agree
-----
Do look at the trombones!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

bcschipper wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:35 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am Yeah, the topic that had the locations of all the classical trombone solos didn't get cached.I think it was all cached a few months before the site died.
Do you mean the the one one rare trombone solos? This is here under "creation and performance" https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=621.
No, there was one with locations for the autographs of actual solo pieces for trombone by L. Mozart, Haydn, Albrechtsberger, and Wagenseil.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Why is as few categories as possible a good objective? People browse by topics. When they don't see a topic that they are interested in, they may even not browse. Topics prompt interest, suggest thoughts, spark interests ... The TTF was a kaleidoscope of topics related to the trombone. You clicked on a topic and founds something you did not thought about before (and consequently could not have searched for it. That's the difference between browsing and searching.)
Well, when we started, there were a LOT of categories and people complained that it was confusing. There's a happy medium somewhere but its hard to put the genie back in the bottle so to speak and easier to make broader categories than it is to make too many and then pair in down. I'll bring up to the moderators
HenryLooma

Why isnt there a "history of trombone" section

Post by HenryLooma »

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I was looking in the tech section and was hoping to access the manuals posted there. The links would not work for me and I was just wondering if this is a temporary problem, or maybe I need to do something to be able to access them? Thanks for the help and advice.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Matt K wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 am
Well, when we started, there were a LOT of categories and people complained that it was confusing. There's a happy medium somewhere but its hard to put the genie back in the bottle so to speak and easier to make broader categories than it is to make too many and then pair in down. I'll bring up to the moderators
Is there any update on a "history of trombone" section?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Yeah, so we actually all agreed that it would make sense and then promptly forgot to make the section. I'll add that this weekend!
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Excellent. I am looking foward to it.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”