How do I search the forum?

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
AusNB

How do I search the forum?

Post by AusNB »

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I've read the FAQ's and still can't figure it out.

I'm guessing it might be because I'm a "new" member?

I was on TTF a long time, but only got around to joining here recently.

I want to do a proper search before I ask another silly question!

I guess I should just do a few posts and that might get me some further authorisation. I see that this post will probably be moderated before/if appearing. Fair enough and sorry if I've wasted your time.

Regards

Neil
Matt K

Re: How do I search the forum?

Post by Matt K »

Hi Neil,

If someone doesn’t answer your question before I get inside from watching my kid feel free to bump this later tonight and I’ll answer your question directly.
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Okay, all squared away for a few minutes while the little guy gets his bath.

So yes, you need three approved posts before finding much of anything. Your posts won't appear automatically until you get that 3rd approved post either - that's to prevent spam and whatnot. We don't have a hard-and-fast rule about how substantial the posts need to be but we need to see some kind of evidence you aren't a spammer or a scammer. Ideally, something that provides some kind of contribution or interesting inquiry.

Once you get that third post, you can click the magnifying glass on the top right of the interface (I'm not 100% sure where it is on the phone, but if you're on another device I can log into one and see if I can help figure it out).
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

An alternative: search on DuckDuckGo (or Google, or probably other search sites) and append "site:trombonechat.com" to the end of your query. IMHO this produces better results than the native phpBB search facility. For example, a native search for "Tommy Peterson" yields three hits, whereas a DuckDuckGo search for "Tommy Peterson site:trombonechat.com" yields more than a dozen.
AusNB

Post by AusNB »

Thanks both for the replies and sorry for being slow getting back to you. Appreciate the help!
knirirr

Post by knirirr »

I too have just joined, hoping to gain access to the search capability here. I probably don't have much of interest to anyone to say, unfortunately.
However, it appears that the addition of site:trombonechat.com on a DDG search is fairly effective for now.
emsta

Post by emsta »

Thank you. I have also recently joined and have utilised the search function in the past as a non member. Thanks for the tip on using search sites.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”