FS: Edwards T-350, Conn Basses, Holton Bb/G, and more!

ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

A handful of pretty fantastic horns for sale!  Details as follows:

Olds O-25 - 1970's vintage Olds O-25, large bore tenor.  Specs are an oddball .554 bore, and 8 1/2 inch rose brass bell, the rest of the body is largely of nickel silver construction.  These are great horns, and not a lot of them around.  It doesn't play exactly like any of the other well known and loved large bores, but is probably closest to a Conn 88H.  I think it has slightly clearer articulations (maybe do to all the nickel silver?), and maybe slightly "bigger" (but still very much like a tenor; despite the slightly larger bore, it doesn't play anything like a bass).  It's in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically.  Some minor lacquer wear on the outer slide, and two very small mute dings.  Comes with the original case, also in excellent condition, and the original Olds 15 mouthepice (though you might find it quite small for this horn; I think it's roughly 6 1/2 AL sized).  $1200 plus shipping Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MHbeJJPuNpdXF8dAJVmwgic2ycc_Ycl-

Edwards T-350 - Great player, and in great shape, includes the following components: 336CF Bell, Rose Brass Dual Radius Tuning Slide, Thayer Valve, T-STD Slide, a #1 Leadpipe, and an Edwards hard case (in near perfect condition), with the original keys.  Action of both the slide and the valve is fantastic.  I cannot find a dent anywhere on it.  Lacquer is in decent shape, mostly present, but a decent amount of wear on the slide in particular.  It was pretty ugly on the bell, so I stripped it, the bell is now raw brass, still a small amount of acid bleed but I've polished most of it off.  The bell is definitely more responsive raw.  I am not familiar with Edwards serial numbers, but believe this to be a somewhat more recent model, has edge bracing installed. $2400 plus shipping  Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UbcBykGfhxXeWr5aM0_B-8ZIz98nkQXl

Conn 70H - I was wanting a good, reliable single-valve bass trombone, I picked this one up and an Olds George Roberts model.  Elkhart Conn, with half moon engraving.  it was a tough choice between the two, but I am keeping the Olds.  Mostly because as a tenor player, it was absurdly easy to play.  This 70H is also quite easy, maybe not so much as the Olds, but does get a bigger sound.  I like it a lot, if you're in the market for a single valve, this is a great choice.    All raw brass, I can't find any dents, but some evidence of prior dent work.  Some pitting on the cork barrels, but overall great condition.  Super nice slide.  $800 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Conn 112H - I love this horn, this is the only one on the list I may keep if the others sell quickly.  Far and away the easiest to play double-valve I've ever played.  Big, dense, sound, for me, everything just seems to fall into place on this one.  I can't emphasize how well this thing plays.  I know modern Conn basses aren't particularly coveted, so I'm assuming one of the following must be true 1.) I don't know basses as well as I think (quite possible) 2.) this is just a particularly good specimen or 3.) they're under appreciated.  Condition is excellent/near-mint territory; mechanical action on everything is near perfect, lacquer is mostly flawless (with one fingerprint sized wear spot on the slide), a handful of very small dings on the bell, otherwise dent free, definitely the prettiest horn in this group.  Comes with original hard case, also in near perfect condition.  $2100 plus shipping  Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eLGd-l2vsp8VnmwWOUZsMGitkqK2T09d

Holton TR-650 - Oddball student horn.  Small bore (not sure what the bore is exactly), 7 1/2 bell, in Bb/G.  Definitely the first "G" trigger trombone I've encountered that wasn't a custom job.  Found by a local trumpet player/tech who bought it at a flea market, fixed it up, and sold it to  me.  Excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically.  Pretty decent player.  I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but maybe someone more creative than me can think of some uses.  (Backup jazzer?  Cannibalize it for the G valve parts?  Who knows?).  Comes with hard case.  $300 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Conn 78H -- Very nice playing medium-large bore.  Elkhart, early to mid 50's with the half moon engraving.  I haven't played this one as much as the others, but I'm pretty impressed with what it can do.  Great slide with no wear on the stocking, all raw brass, comes with original case.  $700 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Also in the pipes I've got a UMI era Conn 88H and a Bach 42BO.  Both need some minor work (water key on one, slide lock on the other), will post pictures and prices when ready (will probably ask about $900 for the Conn and $1200 for the Bach).  If you're interested, shoot me a line, I'll see if I can get them ready a little more quickly.

ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Steve,

Sorry to learn that you're selling your Olds O-25.  I'm still pleased that I purchased one (also for nostalgia reasons), and i still enjoy playing it. 
ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

It's a great horn!  But I've realized I solely own it for sentimental value.  My very first large bore as a 7th grader (about 25 years ago) was an Olds O-25.  This was of course JUST before everyone had access to all information on ANYTHING on the internet, and neither my private teacher nor my band director (a trombone player) had ever heard of the horn.  I got it basically, because it was what we could afford (we paid $300 at a local music shop, we were dirt poor, so even that was an extravagant purchase for us).

The truth was, since it wasn't a "well known" horn, we kind of thought it was a piece of junk.  So a few years later, by pure serendipity, I found an old Bach Strad trumpet at a yard sale for $25, and was able to fix it up and flip it for enough to buy a lightly used UMI Conn 88H, which I thought of as an upgrade (it wasn't, there were a lot of great Conns from that time, this was NOT one of them).  I was a pretty good player, but NOT a very good judge of horns.  I suppose the moral of the story is name recognition is no way to judge a horn?

So yeah, buying a house here in Maryland (where property is expensive), sentimental value just isn't going to gut it for a reason to keep a horn.  My Bach 36B is seeing most of the action for tenor stuff, my Olds single valve bass for the low stuff (which is the great part about being an amateur, my equipment has to get the job done, it doesn't necessarily have to conform to any expectations).

I know I still owe some people pictures of the 70H and 78H, they are coming soon, promise!
ttf_mark fellows

Post by ttf_mark fellows »

PM sent
ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

Three updates:

Conn 70H - Sorry for the goof on this one, I was tired when I wrote this, and I got my models confused.  This is, in fact, a 72H, not a 70H.  Which explains all the interest I've been getting in it!  If anyone sees someone selling a 70H for $800, I suggest you jump on it!  (And by the way, if anyone HAS one they'd like to sell for that price, let me know!  Actually don't, I'm supposed to be getting rid of horns here...)

Conn 78H - Two updates here.  I took pictures last night for those who are interested in this one, but got too busy to post them.  Will do so tonight.  Secondly, I thought I had the original hard case for this one, but I do not.  As such, I am lowering the price to $650.  If you want a case for it, I have a cheap, no frills, gig bag I can include for no extra charge.
ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

Olds is sold!
ttf_Phteven

Post by ttf_Phteven »

Edwards is sold!

[s]Olds O-25 - 1970's vintage Olds O-25, large bore tenor.  Specs are an oddball .554 bore, and 8 1/2 inch rose brass bell, the rest of the body is largely of nickel silver construction.  These are great horns, and not a lot of them around.  It doesn't play exactly like any of the other well known and loved large bores, but is probably closest to a Conn 88H.  I think it has slightly clearer articulations (maybe do to all the nickel silver?), and maybe slightly "bigger" (but still very much like a tenor; despite the slightly larger bore, it doesn't play anything like a bass).  It's in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically.  Some minor lacquer wear on the outer slide, and two very small mute dings.  Comes with the original case, also in excellent condition, and the original Olds 15 mouthepice (though you might find it quite small for this horn; I think it's roughly 6 1/2 AL sized).  $1200 plus shipping Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MHbeJJPuNpdXF8dAJVmwgic2ycc_Ycl-[/s]

[s]Edwards T-350 - Great player, and in great shape, includes the following components: 336CF Bell, Rose Brass Dual Radius Tuning Slide, Thayer Valve, T-STD Slide, a #1 Leadpipe, and an Edwards hard case (in near perfect condition), with the original keys.  Action of both the slide and the valve is fantastic.  I cannot find a dent anywhere on it.  Lacquer is in decent shape, mostly present, but a decent amount of wear on the slide in particular.  It was pretty ugly on the bell, so I stripped it, the bell is now raw brass, still a small amount of acid bleed but I've polished most of it off.  The bell is definitely more responsive raw.  I am not familiar with Edwards serial numbers, but believe this to be a somewhat more recent model, has edge bracing installed. $2400 plus shipping  Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UbcBykGfhxXeWr5aM0_B-8ZIz98nkQXl[/s]

Conn 72H - I was wanting a good, reliable single-valve bass trombone, I picked this one up and an Olds George Roberts model.  Elkhart Conn, with half moon engraving.  it was a tough choice between the two, but I am keeping the Olds.  Mostly because as a tenor player, it was absurdly easy to play.  This 70H is also quite easy, maybe not so much as the Olds, but does get a bigger sound.  I like it a lot, if you're in the market for a single valve, this is a great choice.    All raw brass, I can't find any dents, but some evidence of prior dent work.  Some pitting on the cork barrels, but overall great condition.  Super nice slide.  $800 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Conn 112H - I love this horn, this is the only one on the list I may keep if the others sell quickly.  Far and away the easiest to play double-valve I've ever played.  Big, dense, sound, for me, everything just seems to fall into place on this one.  I can't emphasize how well this thing plays.  I know modern Conn basses aren't particularly coveted, so I'm assuming one of the following must be true 1.) I don't know basses as well as I think (quite possible) 2.) this is just a particularly good specimen or 3.) they're under appreciated.  Condition is excellent/near-mint territory; mechanical action on everything is near perfect, lacquer is mostly flawless (with one fingerprint sized wear spot on the slide), a handful of very small dings on the bell, otherwise dent free, definitely the prettiest horn in this group.  Comes with original hard case, also in near perfect condition.  $2100 plus shipping  Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eLGd-l2vsp8VnmwWOUZsMGitkqK2T09d

Holton TR-650 - Oddball student horn.  Small bore (not sure what the bore is exactly), 7 1/2 bell, in Bb/G.  Definitely the first "G" trigger trombone I've encountered that wasn't a custom job.  Found by a local trumpet player/tech who bought it at a flea market, fixed it up, and sold it to  me.  Excellent condition cosmetically and mechanically.  Pretty decent player.  I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but maybe someone more creative than me can think of some uses.  (Backup jazzer?  Cannibalize it for the G valve parts?  Who knows?).  Comes with hard case.  $300 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Conn 78H -- Very nice playing medium-large bore.  Elkhart, early to mid 50's with the half moon engraving.  I haven't played this one as much as the others, but I'm pretty impressed with what it can do.  Great slide with no wear on the stocking, all raw brass, comes with original case.  $700 plus shipping  Pictures coming soon!

Return to “Classified Advertisements”