Just For Beginners Resource

ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

The Online Trombone Journal has a resource section devoted to beginning trombonists called appropriately Just For Beginners  Check it out
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have read trough quite a bit of the information there.  It has been quite helpful.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I was reading the jazz improv stuff I think I will give it a try. I know all my scales. So to form a blues scales I take <1st, lowered 3rd, 4th, raised 4th, 5th, and lowered 7th >? I'm going to start working on it! Thanks! Image  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I thought that the section on vibrato was really interesting.  I enjoyed that.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks Image I found allot of the stuff on there really helpful Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been looking here for little over an hour and already I'm improving!   
THANKS!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am new to the forums and I was just checkin' everything out that you guys have here. My friend told me to come here since I play in the same band as him. I hope it is helpful. Image
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Welcome to the forum!  Hope you find lots of useful information here!  If you don't find what your looking for, just ask.  Someone will either give you an answer or let you know where you can get an answer!  Have fun!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BariTrom on Nov 29, 2006, 07:45PMThanks Image I found allot of the stuff on there really helpful Image

Hey Baritrom, I lived in Santa Fe for 20 years.  Nice to see a fellow New Mexican on here.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: ncmike1 on Mar 07, 2007, 02:36PMQuote from: BariTrom on Nov 29, 2006, 07:45PMThanks Image I found allot of the stuff on there really helpful Image

Hey Baritrom, I lived in Santa Fe for 20 years.  Nice to see a fellow New Mexican on here.

I grew up in Bloomfield, a little town in the 4-Corners area near Farmington.  And I echo your sentiment Mike.  Image
ttf_ncmike1

Post by ttf_ncmike1 »

Heck yeah!  I know Bloomfield.  I traveled the state gathering info for a trivia book I wrote about New Mexico...The Quiz of Enchantment.  You can buy it on Amazon.com here:
http://www.amazon.com/Quiz-Enchantment-Michael-McDonald/dp/0937206237/ref=sr_1_1/103-4686673-5290209?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173333390&sr=8-1
It used to have a little more prominence, but over the years it's lost its place.  In fact, I'm still surprised Amazon still carries it.
It's nice to know there are some New Mexicans...and former New Mexicans...that are trombone enthusiasts.  I get homesick for it occasionally, but find the beauty of the green mountains of Western North Carolina have their own charm.  We love it here now.
ttf_BariTrom

Post by ttf_BariTrom »

Quote from: Another Dave on Mar 07, 2007, 04:05PMHey Baritrom, I lived in Santa Fe for 20 years.  Nice to see a fellow New Mexican on here.

I grew up in Bloomfield, a little town in the 4-Corners area near Farmington.  And I echo your sentiment Mike.  Image
Image Yay! Fellow New Mexicans/former New Mexicans Image Hello Image It is nice to see some fellow new Mexicans on here, or at least some people the realise that, yes, New Mexico is, in fact, a part of the United States Image
ttf_ncmike1

Post by ttf_ncmike1 »

Quoteat least some people who realise that, yes, New Mexico is, in fact, a part of the United StatesLOL....yep!  I always enjoyed the "One of Our Fifty is Missing" from the New Mexico Magazine.  Know what I'm talkin' about?  It is hilarious (and quite astounding)how many people think New Mexico is still part of Mexico.
Sorry to have gotten off the subject, but it was good to see some New Mexican trombonists on here without having to type in Spanish.  LOL
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Speaking of amusing State names,  I always have found it humourous that the Mexican state below California is Baja California and the state below that is Baja California Sur,  creative naming isn't it?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Tom Webb on Mar 08, 2007, 06:37AMSpeaking of amusing State names,  I always have found it humourous that the Mexican state below California is Baja California and the state below that is Baja California Sur,  creative naming isn't it?
Actually, that would be Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

bookmarked  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Very informative.
Thanks.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm a newbie here. I found the Beginners Resource very helpful. I downloaded all of the PDF scales and Jazz MIDI's. Thanks so much.

I'm from Wisconsin, (we just got 11 inches of new snow today), and play an old Couesnon valve trombone, after being away from it for many years.

I have two questions for you all:

1. Does anyone like to play traditional jazz?

2. What mouthpiece would you suggest for that type of music? Mine doesn't have a number on it, just the name, and Paris.

Thanks for your help!!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hi and welcome! Image

Lots of us play jazz.  Some of us play valve trombones (although not too many of us).

If the mouthpiece plays OK, I'd keep it.  If you need to replace it, you should consider a Bach 12C, 11C, 7C, or equivalent.  All suitable for jazz.  Or you can play nearly anything else - it seems somebody is playing jazz on nearly any mouthpiece you can imagine!

Don't sweat the details.  Just make music.  And have fun!

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Image Image :)that site help me learn my scales and has a great warm up sheet
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here for your enjoyment  Image are the major scales in  Image  Image and  Image.
They were created using bash shell and the linux abc* utilities.
ttf_jmings

Post by ttf_jmings »

Well, I done it again.
Here are all Major & relative minor scales in Treble, alto, tenor and bass clefs.

Skip those bars outside your range  Image

This should be usefull gor those who want to reference "the other clefs".

If you like it, let me know and if there's anything you'd like transcribed.  Image Image  Image  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: oldvalveguy on Dec 19, 2008, 09:41PM Image

2. What mouthpiece would you suggest for that type of music? Mine doesn't have a number on it, just the name, and Paris.

Thanks for your help!!

i actually used my bach 12c for jazz.  i was more able to make octave jumps with it, over the 6 1/2AL i used for classical/symphonic stuff.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am here learning about the trombone.  I have a OLDS MODEL LA from the 1940's, and it sounds great (at least the few notes I have) --- OH, yeah I am a comeback trumpet player for the last 3 years ---BUT many a trumpet player on another forum indicates that the trombone will improve a trumpet players endurance and such.  James Morrison, Maynard Ferguson, are some names touted as great trumpet players -- but they are(were) monster trombone players also  Image Image Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Is there a place on the forum for listings of people who give lessons in particular geographic area or types of playing? I am picking up a horn after a couple of decades, and would like to get some guidance so I don't learn some new bad habits to accompany the bad habits I had from long ago. And I'd like to shift my focus from orchestral/symphonic band stuff toward smaller ensemble playing. 
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

PhilS,

Check out the Pedagogy section.  If you make a post there, you will probably find someone.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

http://www.youtube.com/user/nyjazzacademy/videos?view=0&flow=grid
In the link above, you will fine many theory classes for beginners and some licks, and cool approaches to some things that are a little more advanced.
The diminish scale approach from these videos is great. Javier Arau the director of NYJA, teaches it in a way that you will find it simple, and never forget it.
ttf_JonathanPhillips

Post by ttf_JonathanPhillips »

Quote from: jmings on Nov 27, 2009, 04:26PMHere for your enjoyment  Image are the major scales in  Image  Image and  Image.
They were created using bash shell and the linux abc* utilities.

Thanks for posting this. I am a VERY RAW beginner, 55 years old. My current instrument is the trumpet and am also starting the trombone at the suggestion of my teacher (a trumpeter and trombonist). Fun!!! Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: jmings on Feb 20, 2010, 09:19PMWell, I done it again.
Here are all Major & relative minor scales in Treble, alto, tenor and bass clefs.

If you like it, let me know and if there's anything you'd like transcribed.  Image Image  Image  Image

Not a bump. Just a thank you for the treble clef scales from this British brass band noob. Thanks again.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: jmings on Feb 20, 2010, 09:19PMWell, I done it again.

Not a bump. Just a thank you for the treble clef scales from this British brass band noob. Thanks again.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”