WTB: Mel-O-Wah

ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

Any one have a Mel-O-Wah laying around that you wanna sell? Humes and Berg has no stock, but won't make more until they have enough orders...which means they're not gonna make any...

Thank you!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Dillon's still show them on-line.  You might want to give them a call to see if they have any inventory.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-7109-humes-amp-berg-tenor-trombone-mel-o-wah-mute.aspx
ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

Quote from: BillO on Apr 05, 2017, 02:55PMDillon's still show them on-line.  You might want to give them a call to see if they have any inventory.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-7109-humes-amp-berg-tenor-trombone-mel-o-wah-mute.aspx

they don't have them in stock. unfortunately they're not in stock anywhere and Humes and Berg won't make more until they have enough orders, which is never. So i'm looking for a used one if someone has one kicking around. Thanks y'all!
ttf_Bob Riddle

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

The last and only time I used one of those the conductor rented them from someone(sorry,I don't no who).It is a slightly different interesting tone..
Sorry I can't help more...
Bob Riddle
ttf_brucolli

Post by ttf_brucolli »

Matt, I've had two interesting experiences lately concerning the Mel-O-Wah.

1. In January, I was playing through my mute collection for Richard Barrett in preparation for a new piece for Musikfabrik. He really liked the Mel-O-Wah and has used it in the piece (a quartet with Lupophone, Bassett Horn, horn and trombone which again is a part of a piece for whole ensemble)

2. Today we were working with Taylor Ho Bynum on music of Braxton (for the same concert with the new Barrett piece). He had a Facet Brusio mute for his cornet and I think this would be a great alternative to the Mel-O-Wah. Great mute, mellow sound that you can wah. Really light weight, much better than a Mel-O-Wah.
I want one!

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: brucolli on May 13, 2017, 02:37PMHe had a Facet Brusio mute for his ...
Not the only issue I have with facet mutes is the extraordinary price tag. I picked up a Yamaha YSL-354 in 8/10 condition a few months back for less than 1/3 the price of a Facet Brusio.  I may be old fashioned, but I demand value for my $.  Facet don't offer that.  They offer a delicate and easily damaged mute for folks that belong to the same club as Jay Leno.  A Melo-Wah was 1/8 the price of the Facet.

Why would you be compelled to buy a copycat mute for 8 times the price of the original?

To each their own I guess.

I'd sure like a Lamborghini, but will it serve to get me to rehearsal better than a Honda civic?  Will it be a whizz at taking a road trip to Florida, or being a great vehicle to fetch the groceries, or will it just let everyone know I have so much money I can just throw it away?

That's how I think of Facet mutes.  You see them in the hand crafted leather mute cases of beginner trombonists that have brand new custom Shires or Edwards trombones playing in bands where the old guy with the Olds Ambassador plays circles around them.

As for me, I play with Humes & Berg mutes because they are the defacto standard.  When Sammy Nestico calls for a cup mute, he was thinking of the sound that a $30 Humes & Berg makes, not a $295 Facet lacewood yuppie mute.  Buy them if you must, but you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Disclaimer #1 -  the preceding is just my opinion.  It has nothing to do with anyone else on the planet, just me.  If your hero plays Facet mutes - more power to them.  I don't know who they are and my tirade was not directed at them.

Disclaimer #2 - I'm sort of one of those guys that owns a Shires (well used), but the guy with the ancient Olds plays circles around me.  But I don't have a tooled leather mute case, a Lamborghini or a Facet mute.
ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

Quote from: brucolli on May 13, 2017, 02:37PMMatt, I've had two interesting experiences lately concerning the Mel-O-Wah.

1. In January, I was playing through my mute collection for Richard Barrett in preparation for a new piece for Musikfabrik. He really liked the Mel-O-Wah and has used it in the piece (a quartet with Lupophone, Bassett Horn, horn and trombone which again is a part of a piece for whole ensemble)

2. Today we were working with Taylor Ho Bynum on music of Braxton (for the same concert with the new Barrett piece). He had a Facet Brusio mute for his cornet and I think this would be a great alternative to the Mel-O-Wah. Great mute, mellow sound that you can wah. Really light weight, much better than a Mel-O-Wah.
I want one!

That's fantastic about Richard! Both that he used it and his instrumentation!! I saw a few things he posted on fb and can't wait to hear it. I hope it gets him to use it for his upcoming gnarwhallaby piece. I've actually got a mel-o-wah already, but am trying to find one for Weston (who isn't on the forum).

Those facet mutes look excellent! I'd certainly like to give that a whirl. The ones i've tried are excellent. Do you know if it filters as exactly as the mel-o-wahs? Maybe it's the encouragement I need to drive out to the Redlands next month.

I've been trying to find another because of some work we've been doing with David Franzson (do you know his stuff? Really beautiful). The mel-o-wah gets an exact enough frequency response at certain points when wahed that we've been able to feed it into the electronics to trigger a notch filter. We haven't been able to find anything else that's as precise (especially above 7). For his duo we actually ended up 3D printing clones of them. They don't quite sound as nice but they have the right frequency response for his needs. I'll send the recording when it's done- it's been a fun project.
ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

Quote from: BillO on May 13, 2017, 09:39PMNot the only issue I have with facet mutes is the extraordinary price tag. I picked up a Yamaha YSL-354 in 8/10 condition a few months back for less than 1/3 the price of a Facet Brusio.  I may be old fashioned, but I demand value for my $.  Facet don't offer that.  They offer a delicate and easily damaged mute for folks that belong to the same club as Jay Leno.  A Melo-Wah was 1/8 the price of the Facet.

Why would you be compelled to buy a copycat mute for 8 times the price of the original?

To each their own I guess.

I'd sure like a Lamborghini, but will it serve to get me to rehearsal better than a Honda civic?  Will it be a whizz at taking a road trip to Florida, or being a great vehicle to fetch the groceries, or will it just let everyone know I have so much money I can just throw it away?

That's how I think of Facet mutes.  You see them in the hand crafted leather mute cases of beginner trombonists that have brand new custom Shires or Edwards trombones playing in bands where the old guy with the Olds Ambassador plays circles around them.

As for me, I play with Humes & Berg mutes because they are the defacto standard.  When Sammy Nestico calls for a cup mute, he was thinking of the sound that a $30 Humes & Berg makes, not a $295 Facet lacewood yuppie mute.  Buy them if you must, but you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Disclaimer #1 -  the preceding is just my opinion.  It has nothing to do with anyone else on the planet, just me.  If your hero plays Facet mutes - more power to them.  I don't know who they are and my tirade was not directed at them.

Disclaimer #2 - I'm sort of one of those guys that owns a Shires (well used), but the guy with the ancient Olds plays circles around me.  But I don't have a tooled leather mute case, a Lamborghini or a Facet mute.

cool.

Return to “Classified Advertisements”