New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post Reply
cehass11
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cehass11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:39 am

Hi TromboneChat!

I'm new here, but I wanted to share the premiere performance of my piece for solo bass trombone and trombone quintet, Violent Shadows.



Inspired by progressive rock (specifically Thank You Scientist), this piece showcases the different characters of the bass trombone - from the loud and aggressive side that we all know and love to the more pure and lyrical side. The solo and accompaniment parts primarily work in opposition to one another both rhythmically and harmonically until they learn to work together in the recap of the chorale section near the end.

I just finished writing a version for bass trombone and piano, which is now available for purchase on my website. https://hassmusic.com/solo/violentshadows/
cozzagiorgi
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cozzagiorgi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 am

Really like the beginning!
Bassbonechandler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Location: US

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by Bassbonechandler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:04 am

This is really cool! There's a contemporary music festival every year at my college. Maybe I could play this with piano :D
cehass11
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cehass11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:04 am
This is really cool! There's a contemporary music festival every year at my college. Maybe I could play this with piano :D
That'd be amazing! What college?
thatme
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by thatme » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Very cool, well done!
Bassbonechandler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Location: US

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by Bassbonechandler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm

cehass11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm
Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:04 am
This is really cool! There's a contemporary music festival every year at my college. Maybe I could play this with piano :D
That'd be amazing! What college?
Indiana state. We've had ewazen as a featured composer before back in 2012 I believe! It's really cool for being a no name college :D
cehass11
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cehass11 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm
cehass11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm
Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:04 am
This is really cool! There's a contemporary music festival every year at my college. Maybe I could play this with piano :D
That'd be amazing! What college?
Indiana state. We've had ewazen as a featured composer before back in 2012 I believe! It's really cool for being a no name college :D
No way, I'm actually going to be there this year for a performance of one of my sax quartets! If you end up performing this piece at the festival I'll come watch you!
Bassbonechandler
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Location: US

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by Bassbonechandler » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 pm

cehass11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm
Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm
cehass11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm


That'd be amazing! What college?
Indiana state. We've had ewazen as a featured composer before back in 2012 I believe! It's really cool for being a no name college :D
No way, I'm actually going to be there this year for a performance of one of my sax quartets! If you end up performing this piece at the festival I'll come watch you!

That's awesome! I would love to perform your piece, I plan on buying the piano version soon!
cehass11
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cehass11 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:41 am

cozzagiorgi wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:02 am
Really like the beginning!
thatme wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 pm
Very cool, well done!
Thank you both! Glad you enjoyed it!
Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:41 pm
cehass11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:19 pm
Bassbonechandler wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm


Indiana state. We've had ewazen as a featured composer before back in 2012 I believe! It's really cool for being a no name college :D
No way, I'm actually going to be there this year for a performance of one of my sax quartets! If you end up performing this piece at the festival I'll come watch you!

That's awesome! I would love to perform your piece, I plan on buying the piano version soon!
Awesome, just keep me updated! I would love to attend the performance!
Mamaposaune
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by Mamaposaune » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Love this piece, very cool! Are you the one performing it?
cehass11
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: New piece for bass trombone, Violent Shadows, inspired by progressive rock

Post by cehass11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Mamaposaune wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 pm
Love this piece, very cool! Are you the one performing it?
Thank you so much! No, my friend AJ Muusse (current Master's student at Western Michigan) is the soloist. I was conducting the performance though!
Post Reply

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”