How to write the "Star Trek Original Series Theme"

robcat2075

How to write the "Star Trek Original Series Theme"

Post by robcat2075 »

Alexander "Star Trek Original Series Theme" Courage was born today in 1919.

The song he references in the interview...

Ans, of course, the original series theme...

>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
AndrewMeronek

Re: How to write the "Star Trek Original Series Theme"

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Neat! Thanks for the post.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Coincidentally, I’ve started rewatching some of the STU (Star Trek Universe) shows, and I’m currently watching S1 of the OG. I can only handle the low-budget special effects and the acting style for so long before needing a break.

For some reason, the clip of the original theme sounds too polished, almost like a re-recording done years later. Then again, my ears are only getting older, just like William Shatner’s waistcoat is getting larger!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:11 pm Coincidentally, I’ve started rewatching some of the STU (Star Trek Universe) shows, and I’m currently watching S1 of the OG. I can only handle the low-budget special effects and the acting style for so long before needing a break.
I'm the opposite, the staggeringly bad techno-babble scripting in the later reboots makes them unwatchable. People will tell me things like, "It gets way better after season 3" but... no.

But it's been years since I watched more than an episode or two of any of them.
For some reason, the clip of the original theme sounds too polished, almost like a re-recording done years later. Then again, my ears are only getting older, just like William Shatner’s waistcoat is getting larger!
It seems there were more than one recording even in the original series and the closing credits version is different again. The human vocal and conga drums is a second season thing. Here's four versions...

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I notice the fourth version, The Animated Series, is just a fake sound-alike of the Alexander Courage music.

I guess that avoids a royalty. :shuffle:

The studio, Filmation, is remembered as the most corner-cuttingest of the corner-cutting TV animation outfits. Their thing was to do all the work in the US with US union workers and not outsource to Asia. That is why it is painfully static with lots of dialog shots that are just someone's forehead and no mouth.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

I always liked the vocals. They reminded me of my cat singing. She was far out. Phaedra was her name.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

It's the same chord changes as "Out of Nowhere".
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

and the opening...well, i guess you could say it's a riff on Mahler 1.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Kbiggs wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:11 pm Coincidentally, I’ve started rewatching some of the STU (Star Trek Universe) shows, and I’m currently watching S1 of the OG. I can only handle the low-budget special effects and the acting style for so long before needing a break.

There's 2 versions of the Original Series. The classic and remastered version. The remastered version didn't just pump up the effects but they also recorded the main theme. The classic version is much better in my opinion!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

robcat2075 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:23 pm I notice the fourth version, The Animated Series, is just a fake sound-alike of the Alexander Courage music.

I guess that avoids a royalty. :shuffle:

The studio, Filmation, is remembered as the most corner-cuttingest of the corner-cutting TV animation outfits. Their thing was to do all the work in the US with US union workers and not outsource to Asia. That is why it is painfully static with lots of dialog shots that are just someone's forehead and no mouth.
If you all haven't seen this homage to the animated series, highly recommended. Lots of Easter eggs for animation nerds (and ST nerds of course)

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”