Looking for this arrangement

bigbandbone

Looking for this arrangement

Post by bigbandbone »

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this arrangement of Tenderly out of the Stan Kenton book?
pfcastor

Re: Looking for this arrangement

Post by pfcastor »

Kenton Donated his entire music library to North Texas State (now know as University of North Texas) in Denton Texas. They may have a copy. With permission from the tunes copy wright holders they will release a copy for research purposes.

Many years ago I visited the library and was able to view a few of the Kenton Charts in a secure viewing room.

You could try contacting the Library Special collections-Archives staff. They could verify if they have that in the Kenton Archive.

You could also try the UNT music department as they have many of the Kenton Arrangements in their library.

The interesting thing about this tune is that the album cover does not list an arranger. It just lists the original composers of the the song. Most of the arrangements other tunes on that album have been release commercially or are available form many sources but the Tenderly does not seems to be available. I suspect that there may be some copyright issues related to that tune.
ithinknot

Re: Looking for this arrangement

Post by ithinknot »

pfcastor wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:44 pm The interesting thing about this tune is that the album cover does not list an arranger.
It does... credited to Willie Maiden (bari sax).

But it's barely an arrangement - Kenton's part wouldn't have been written, the solo doesn't deviate in ways that require planning - so if you transcribe the flute parts (and bass details as desired) you'll have as much as was ever written down, I'd imagine.
boneapart

Re: Looking for this arrangement: Maiden's "Tenderly"

Post by boneapart »

Yes, I can help you. It's not from a Kenton recording but rather from Maynard Ferguson's Swingin' My Way Through College. I have this one and about a hundred other Maynard charts. Sent you an email.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”