Bass Trombone Concertos

IanDeterlingComposer

Bass Trombone Concertos

Post by IanDeterlingComposer »

Hey everyone!

I wanted to share two bass trombone concertos I'm currently working on (because one just isn't enough!!)

QUEST: concerto for bass trombone and symphonic band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvlxwTU ... nDeterling
This is the first movement, and I'm really happy with how it's coming together! It's an adaptation of a quartet I wrote a few years ago - and it's going to be premiered this coming spring (2022) at McGill University in Montreal with Darrin C. Milling (bass trombone principle of São Paulo State Symphony). It's dark, but fun - sort of like a fantasy movie that goes through a lot of unexpected turns!

The Golden Retriever Concerto for bass trombone and string orchestra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPrCsRQ ... nDeterling
This is also the first movement. It's an adaptation of a duet I composed in 2020. The third movement was written as a character sketch of my parent's dog, Bella (which is why it's titled 'The Golden Retriever Concerto') This first movement is fun and light-hearted, much like a golden retriever having an exciting day out in the country.

I hope you enjoy these first movements! There'll be more soon!!
SwissTbone

Re: Bass Trombone Concertos

Post by SwissTbone »

Cool! Keep up the good work!

I particularly like QUEST. Not a lot of good stuff for symphonic band out there.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
IanDeterlingComposer

SwissTbone wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:46 pm Cool! Keep up the good work!

I particularly like QUEST. Not a lot of good stuff for symphonic band out there.
Thank you so much!! I'm glad you like it!!
IanDeterlingComposer

Happy New Year everyone!! Here's the completed Bass Trombone Concerto No. 1: 'Quest' :D I made some modifications to the first movement - hope you enjoy!!!
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMtMuu1 ... nDeterling[/media]
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Ian,

I am very impressed with "Quest." It is an appealing piece. As SwissTbone stated, it is wonderful that you composed it with a symphonic band accompaniment. I think that makes it much more accessible to bass trombone soloists and ensembles. I might be off-target here, but I think the directorship/management of a symphonic band is much more likely to program a bass trombone concerto than the directorship/management of a symphony orchestra.

I listened to a couple of your other works on Youtube as well. You appear to have strong composition skills and your works are interesting. While your "Quest" piece interests me as a performer, I am also interested in some of your concert band pieces as a director. Keep doing your thing!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
IanDeterlingComposer

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:44 pm Ian,

I am very impressed with "Quest." It is an appealing piece. As SwissTbone stated, it is wonderful that you composed it with a symphonic band accompaniment. I think that makes it much more accessible to bass trombone soloists and ensembles. I might be off-target here, but I think the directorship/management of a symphonic band is much more likely to program a bass trombone concerto than the directorship/management of a symphony orchestra.

I listened to a couple of your other works on Youtube as well. You appear to have strong composition skills and your works are interesting. While your "Quest" piece interests me as a performer, I am also interested in some of your concert band pieces as a director. Keep doing your thing!
Thank you so much!! I don't think you're off-target - I honestly don't have that much experience yet between different orchestras and symphonic bands, but I do get the impression that (in general) bands seem to be more open with performing new works. And thank you for checking out my other pieces - I'm really delighted that you're interested some of my concert band works! Will do - I'm in the process of finishing up Concerto No. 2 - hopefully I'll be able to have that posted soon!!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:44 pm As SwissTbone stated, it is wonderful that you composed it with a symphonic band accompaniment. I think that makes it much more accessible to bass trombone soloists and ensembles. I might be off-target here, but I think the directorship/management of a symphonic band is much more likely to program a bass trombone concerto than the directorship/management of a symphony orchestra.
That's definitely the case here in Switzerland! I would say a British style Brass Band is the most susceptible ensemble to program a bass trombone concerto. But symphonic bands can also be talked into it.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”