Solo Trombone Pieces

SuperNovaa41

Solo Trombone Pieces

Post by SuperNovaa41 »

As someone who's only been playing trombone throughout highschool, what are some good pieces to learn as an intermediate trombonist. And/or some good places to find pieces.
harrisonreed

Re: Solo Trombone Pieces

Post by harrisonreed »

What genre are you looking for? I only know mostly classical or "legit" pieces, but I HIGHLY recommend getting the BoneKill book by Michael Davis if you want to work on your jazzy/commercially chops. Gorgeous music,
they aren't just exercises, no ensemble required, and it's not so hard that a high schooler couldn't approach it, either.

For classical solos, here is a list you can start with of pieces that don't require lost sleep and stress to be able to play, composer followed by piece title. You can buy almost all of this from Hickeys.com out of Ithaca NY. The older pieces are for free on IMSLP. Just remember for all of these, to just play them they are at the intermediate level, but to do any piece justice is really beyond "intermediate". To play these like your favorite pro takes it into virtuoso territory.

J. Sandström, "sang till lotta" (beautiful, easy melody. Easy piano accompaniment)
F. David, "concertino" (the standard concerto that everyone has played. )
A. Guillmant, "morceau symphonique" (the other concerto that everyone has played)
A. Pryor, "thoughts of love" (a very approachable solo from the turn of the 20th century that sounds a lot more difficult than it is. Get all of the Pryor solos on the version that is one book, and start with this one)
L. Grondahl, "concerto" (probably our most beautiful romantic style concerto. It's from the mid 20th century. It's at the outer edge of "intermediate", but there are so many things you can learn from the piece)
R. Korsakov, "concerto" (one of the first true concertos for the trombone, where the third movement is not a cheap rehash of the first movement. Not too tricky)
S. Sulek, "sonata vox gabrieli" (written in the 70s, this piece is melodic, and a great way to get into learning mixed meter)

I'll leave it off there. If you can play those pieces in high school, even if you're not at the pro level for your interpretation you'll be well on your way to being a very good brass musician.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Not sure what you want to do with the pieces, but there is lots of material to work on with a High School level of playing.

A lot of the Turn of the 20th Century solos can be nice. Especially if you join a Community Band and can perform them on outdoor concerts. Some of my favorites are (in no particular order):

Pryor: Thoughts of Love
[Fred Harlow]: Variations on The Old Home Down on the Farm (note: I think Fred Harlow was another pseudonym for Henry Fillmore)
[ " ]: The Wanderer
Clay Smith: The Satellite
Clay Smith: The Witch's Hat
Herbert Clarke: Stars in a Velvety Sky

I have a huge collection of these (with band accompaniment parts), but can't access them now. I'll edit this post if/when I get home.

Saint-Saens: The Swan (from Carnival of the Animals)
Barat: Andante and Allegro
Ropartz: Andante and Allegro
Guilmant: Morceau Symphonique
David: Concertino

I know these are not considered PC any more, but the Henry Fillmore Trombone Family pieces (Lassus Trombone being the most familiar) are easy to play. Fillmore was trying to make comical jabs at African Americans with these pieces -- something pretty normal for 100 years ago but offensive to some modern sensibilities.

For Bass Trombone:
Catozzi: Beelzebub (originally written for Eb tuba -- lies nicely on a single valve bass)

I'm sure there will be lots of other suggestions.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Some good suggestions, what has your teacher suggested? He/she will know your true level of playing ability
SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:21 pm What genre are you looking for? I only know mostly classical or "legit" pieces...
I'm fine with anything! I'm just looking for some new music to expand my horizons.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them all.
Vegasbound wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:43 am Some good suggestions, what has your teacher suggested? He/she will know your true level of playing ability
Haven't asked them yet, I should ask him when high school starts up again, hopefully he'll get back to me :lol:
Bibermaniac

Post by Bibermaniac »

I would definitely steer clear of Xenakis` Keren at the moment! that might have to wait a while.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Bibermaniac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 pm I would definitely steer clear of Xenakis` Keren at the moment! that might have to wait a while.
Speak for yourself. The OP is ready. That piece is Grade 2

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”