Spanish Low Brass Solos

BassboneJ25

Spanish Low Brass Solos

Post by BassboneJ25 »

I am thinking about putting on a recital where I play songs about the latinx culture.

If you have any information on some pieces particularly pieces that can be transcribed for bass trombone by spanish composers or even about spain such as bass lines by david fetter, let me know!

Thanks,

Ben Jorge
euphobone

Re: Spanish Low Brass Solos

Post by euphobone »

Spain, and people from Spain are not included in the "Latinx" umbrella merely because they speak Spanish. It is inclusive of people from, or that have ancestral ties to Mexico, Central America, and South America - Latin America

People from countries who speak Spanish can be referred to as Hispanic, which is more based on language spoken, as opposed to geographic location. Brazilians could be considered "Latinx" or Latino/a but not Hispanic since they speak Portuguese.

And there is always the case that some people of Latin American descent, and of Spanish descent might not identify with all or any of the terms.

Also remember that Spain conquered the Southwestern US, most of Mexico, Central and South America, with Portugal conquering the eastern part of South America (Brazil), so while there are ties to Spain/Portugal, "Latinx" most likely does not refer to Spain/Portugal's link to Latin America, but rather the Latin America that exists today, and in more recent history.

This is just my understanding based on what I remember off the top of my head...if I'm wrong, anyone can correct me.

As far as composers, I can't help, but this will hopefully clarify your search criteria.
Raul Escobar
1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous
1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL
1985 Willson 2900BS
tmarco97

Post by tmarco97 »

I agree with what euphobone has said. There is a big distinction between music from Spain and music from Mexico, Central and South America. For the record, I think it's great that you're looking into performing music written by Hispanic and Latin composers. :good:

That being said, one piece to look into is Encuentros by Columbian composer and pianist Carolina Calvache. It is a beautiful melodic piece, and was written for Columbian bass trombonist Sebastian Cifuentes. I was lucky to play this piece for a recital and it is one of my favorites! She has written other pieces like Trombonsillo that is a beautiful tenor trombone piece and has been recorded by Achilles Liarmakapoulos of the Canadian Brass.
BassboneJ25

Post by BassboneJ25 »

I apologize for my ignorance. I wanted to highlight music from more than just Spain but wasn’t quite sure how to word what specific music I was looking for. But Hispanic would have been a better word to use. Thank you for your help!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasilieras No 5 (for soprano and 8 cellos) transcribes well for trombones. The soprano is really optional. Choros No 4 is for 3 horns and trombone.
BassboneJ25

Post by BassboneJ25 »

Dennis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:53 am Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasilieras No 5 (for soprano and 8 cellos) transcribes well for trombones. The soprano is really optional. Choros No 4 is for 3 horns and trombone.
Thank you!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Lowell Philharmonic Orchestra did a Brachianas Brasilieros arranged for trombone and orchestra. Chat Member Macbone was the soloist. I don't remember which one it was -- maybe he does.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”