Trombone quartet arrangements

rwallace7

Trombone quartet arrangements

Post by rwallace7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am

What are some of your favorite trombone quartet arrangements? Especially those that tend not to place all the high notes only on the first part.
Neo Bri

Re: Trombone quartet arrangements

Post by Neo Bri » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 am

rwallace7 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am
What are some of your favorite trombone quartet arrangements? Especially those that tend not to place all the high notes only on the first part.
I can't remember most of them since it's been so long.

Scarborough Fair by Bill Reichenbach sticks out.

Post by hyperbolica » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:03 am

I don't know about the high note requirement, but my favorite quartet pieces are:

ain't misbehaving (arr bob morris?)
georgia on my mind (arr ingo luis)
achieved is the glorious work
crazy (arr morris)
misty (arr morris)
drei equali (beethoven)
passtime with good company (arr matt smith)
somewhere over the rainbow (arr elkjer)
NY, NY (arr morris)
on a hymnsong of philip bliss (holsinger/harbison)
be cool (jeff bauer)

We have excerpts from Holst Planets and Mussorgsky Pictures that aren't really performance length, but include some great 4 part harmony.

There is a mix of styles here. Bob Morris is disproportionately represented because our quartet gained access to a lot of his quartet stuff. And we bought a lot of Elkjer and Uber stuff. We have a couple hundred tunes, but only 80 some in the book. Some stuff we haven't read through yet, or is just too much to work up, or simply insane (some Elkjer and almost all Christopher Bill fit into this category). This list doesn't account for our Christmas music.

And then we have some homegrown stuff. I've done arrangements of Just a Closer Walk, Lords Prayer, Mendelsohn Equali #2, Mozart Allelujia, Crazy little thing called love, other quartet members have done Simple Gifts, and some hymn arrangements that I really like.

Our group has 3 people who can play high, 2 who can improvise, and a bass trombone trainee. I think it's the bass player (me) that holds us back. I got elected basically because no one else wanted to do it, but I was the least opposed to playing bass. Plus, everyone else either showed up with a straight horn or a 525 bore. Also in our group, we mix the parts up (except the 4th part when it goes below the staff), everybody gets to play lead here and there, so the high notes are spread around. Almost every time we look for a new player, they'll say "I don't mind playing bass, but I don't want to get stuck on it". My feeling exactly :shock: .

Tbone quartet is the most fun playing I do, bass or not. It really hones your ability to listen and play in tune and in time. I personally really prefer four different sounds rather than a homogenous sound. We have a dixieland player, a jazzer, a legit guy, and a talented casual player. It makes the sound more interesting, to me. Like singing voices.

For literature, there are tons of great arrangements and originals. Just look at the Hickeys library sometime.
Gribnes

Post by Gribnes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:49 am

Anything arr by Bill Reichenbach..Sarum Suite and a book of Christmas Music (McGinty Music)
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Finlandia by Jean Sibelius, arr. by Mark McDunn
Pretty simple stuff really. Barely college level. Like it none the less
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic
St. Petersburg 202L

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
BostonChops

Post by BostonChops » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Bach chorales - Benjamin Coy has arranged all of them(!) for trombone quartet, they're available for free on his website, along with other paid (nice looking) arrangements.

In my experience, they're great for dialing in intonation, breathing and tone. Also, good for some nostalgia for my A level music 20 years ago...
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm

BostonChops wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm
Bach chorales - Benjamin Coy has arranged all of them(!) for trombone quartet, they're available for free on his website, along with other paid (nice looking) arrangements.

In my experience, they're great for dialing in intonation, breathing and tone. Also, good for some nostalgia for my A level music 20 years ago...
Oh, very nice stuff. Thanks for that. Here's the link for the too-lazy-for-google - http://www.tenorposaune.com/sheetmusic/
torobone

Post by torobone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:59 am

Add anything / everything by Jack Gale. Off the top of my head:

Alexander's Ragtime Band (goes through many styles of jazz)
St. Louis Blues (need a strong bass bone)
Tiger Rag

Also, there are a couple of arrangements of the Hallelujah Chorus.
Martin Hubel
Tenors: 2009 Yamaha 891Z, 354 (loaned out)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan to me)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1990ish Yamaha 322
rwallace7

Post by rwallace7 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Thank you for all the posts. If you come across anything special please let me know. My email is: rwallace1920@gmail.com

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”